The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Download Directions (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Most of the effects I make and sell are sold with downloadable instructions. I've seen several effects I've sold show up for sale and I encourage the seller to include the downloadable instructions.

As far as not being able to copyright instructions and routines, I don't know who your copyright or IP attorney is, but I would find a new one.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
mrjinglesusa
View Profile
New user
Fairfax
57 Posts

Profile of mrjinglesusa
If the instructions are downloadable, I see no issue downloading the instructions and putting them on a cd for the buyer of the prop.

The interesting thing would be if the instructions were NOT downloadable. Then what?
mantel
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2018, Mad Jake wrote:
As far as not being able to copyright instructions and routines, I don't know who your copyright or IP attorney is, but I would find a new one.

Terrible wizard is writing about the fact that if someone else writes instructions in their own words or makes their own video to post on a video sharing site such as YouTube copyright doesn't matter.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2018, mantel wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2018, WitchDocChris wrote:
You literally just described pirating a product.

It's okay when Ellusionist does it though, right?

Makes perfect sense when you know their history and business practices.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Let's put the question in an even more unambiguous form:

You buy an ebook. May you sell that digital file to someone?

I think the answer would have to be, yes, if you destroy your file immediately afterwards.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Landmark your wrong. You never buy an eBook you lease it. As such you can't sell it no matter what as it dosen't belong to you. It belongs to the creator. Even sharing an ebook without permission from the author would be wrong. The only thing you can LEGALLY do with an eBook you bought is read it for yourself.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Where is the law on an Ebook that states you only lease it? That is interesting and I never knew it.

Every ad I ever see with an Ebook state clearly how to purchase the book.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

I'll take your bait on this one Dan. When buying and eBook it's a "limited use agreement". Like when you buy sheet music only different. You would have the right to read the music and play it for yourself but publicly the exhibition rights stay with the creator. With magic and mentalism performing arts. When buying an eBook "usually" one has the right to read make for themselves and perform that which is written. However manufacturing right and some performing rights might be omitted. Most eBooks state clearly in there copyright that "no unauthorized copy of the book may be made". That would even include backup copies.

As with other threads where I have enlightened you, I hope you are now better informed?

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Download Directions (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL