The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2002 entrée: Ben Harris » » Welcome to the Cafe Ben! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Ben,
As founder and manager of this little community we simply call The Magic Cafe, it is with great pleasure that I welcome you with open arms! Smile

I look forward to you being with us for the next seven days, and I am confident that many here are very excited as well.
We really appreciate you taking the time from your busy schedule to share in some magical discussions.
Smile Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Harry
View Profile
New user
California
37 Posts

Profile of Harry
Sir Ben,
looking forward to reading your thoughts and viewpoints on magical subjects.

Cheers!
Smile
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Thanks Steve.

It is certainly going to be fun for ME over the next week.

Only a few years ago, such an open line of communication would have been so bug-ridden it would have been useless. How times change.

I imagine that within five years this very forum (guest forum) will be live video event.

But enough of that.

We are here to discuss magic. And I'd like everyone to know that I'm open to anything. Don't be shy, put this space to good use. I'm an easy going guy and LOVE a good conversation.

Shall we put the Forum to good use and try to collectively create some new magic? That would be something cool.

Or, we could start by fielding some questions and answers about my products and books.

My intent is to NOT turn this into a dealer forum. I don't want to sell you any product. If you want any of my products, that's what your local dealer is for.

However, that said, no one knows my magic like me, so now is an opportunity to discuss these things openly, pro and con, etc.

I'm currently working on book and video cover designs for OTHER magic companies. This is providing a lot of fun, grueling deadlines and a huge variety of inspiring material.

In regards my own material, I'm considering doing a video/DVD if I think there is the interest out there. There is also a close-up full body levitation and a few new card effects in the works. (One of these effects I'd like to explore here on the forum, if YOU are interested.

For those who read my Genii Issue, I'd like to report that the UpSide Project is generating some amazing solutions. We've got about 6 independently developed ideas earmarked for the booklet so far.

So let's talk about stuff. Tell me what you'd like to discuss. Pick my brains. Do whatever you like to create some creative fun right here.

I'm going to unwind with my guitar (it's been a long day installing a ceiling in our studio) and I'll check back in tomorrow morning.

Cheers

Ben Harris
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Harry,

What would you like to discuss? My views are wild and varied, both in and out of magic.

Cheers

Ben

Hey Harry,

At least you were kind enough not spell that "cur"

Ha ha

Ben Harris
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hey Ben! It's great to have you here as a guest of honor. I really like a number of your effects and would like to talk with you sometime in the near future. Thanks for taking the time to participate. I look forward to this week.
Magically,
Brian Smile
thinkofacard
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of thinkofacard
Hi Ben!

Real glad you're here. I love your stuff! Smile

A video/DVD would be excellent & I'm sure I won't be the only one to say that.

I'm looking forward to what comes up this week, should all make for a good time!

Cheers!

Mark
If you can't stand the blood, get out of the slaughterhouse!
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Brian, Hi Mark,

Thanks for your kind comments. Really!

BUT

BUT

BUT

Let's get down and dirty. If we all sit back assuming something will unfold, we may find nothing does!

So, which effects do you like of mine and why? Or are ya just being kind?

ACTION...

Ben Harris
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
THOUGHT OF THE DAY

"A self-levitation is enhanced when the shadow is seen to separate from the soles of your feet."

BH
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Hello Ben! Smile

Aaaah! You choose a very popular subject! Self-Levitation! Smile

You are, of course, absolutly right about the importance of the shadow, and the use of the light in general. That's why a lot of magicians who try to enhance their self levitations use basis of Black Art. With a black carpet on the floor, and clothes adapted (by their colors) you can have best angles, and a best illusion.

But that's not the unique point to do a good self levitation, because the most difficult thing to do is to sell this effect to our spectators. They must admit the illusion of flying and not simply go a little up...

That's why I would like to insist on the motion.

I like to do my Balducci with a little surfing motion, little up, little down, right, left. As if it requires a lot of skill to stablize our body in the air.

It gives very good results!
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Great to have you with us Ben, I greatly look forward to seeing how this will progress through the week & all the great discussions that will result.

Smile Cheers,
Ichazod
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Hey Ben!

Great to have you here! Smile

I like your attitude about magic! It's groovy! I've got your effect, Zoom, and right now, I'm "converting" a tarot card so it can "Zoom". It's pretty cool! What other things have you done with Zoom? You said in the instructions that come with Zoom that many things could be made to "Zoom" including dollar bills and cigarettes. Do you ever have a problem with dollar bills? If you know what I mean...

When you were a kid, were you really good at practical jokes? I think they're funny, and you musta been great at 'em!

Again, Welcome to the Cafe! Thanks for stopping by!

Josh
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Hey Ben! Great to see ya here -- I haven't talked to you in a while! I'm looking forward to seeing how your visit here develops. Anyhoo...I'm off to start a few topics.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Mandrake
View Profile
New user
Germany
66 Posts

Profile of Mandrake
Hello Ben,
Welcome to this place! Great having a chance to sit with you over a cup of virtual coffee Smile
I only recently stumbled over your work, but it was a stone that I liked! Smile

I am into Smile and Smile so looking forward to share with you, your time here.

Cheers, Mandrake, Germany
the truth "lies" in the eye of the beholder
thiago
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
179 Posts

Profile of thiago
Welcome to The Magic Cafe Ben! It´s really great to have you around.
I have two of your effects: Hoodwink and Alida.
They are good effects for close-up performer.
I work a lot with IT, elastic, non-elastic, every kind avaliable.

Thiago
Manipulix
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Manipulix
Hi Mr. Harris,

welcome to The Cafe.
I`m selling some of your articles. Hoodwink, Alida, Floating match and so on.

Magically yours

Manipulix Smile
What is life without a little bit of magic?
Mona Morrison
View Profile
New user
chicago area
26 Posts

Profile of Mona Morrison
Ben,
How can I not stop by and say Hi.
You create, you dream, and you make it, the impossible, possible.
Magically,
Mona "yomo" Smile
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
CENDRE:

Love your ideas on the self levitation.
I like to perform it with-in a small ring of fire and in bare feet. Really mystical.

ICHAZOD:

Mona said you were a cool cat. She met ya at the IBM.

JOSH:

Zoom has served me well. Did you know I was offered $100,000.00 not to release it. Someone wanted to have it exlusively. It is a strong effect.

My fave use is with a borrowed business card. It's relatively easy to obtain someone's card on two or three occasions so you can have a ring-in all set.

Practical jokes? No, I was not a big player with them. But I was always on the receiving end.

JIM MALONEY:

Hi Jim, it has been awhile. See you in the
"tropics."

MANDRAKE:

I'm glad you are into cards. And I'm happy that you are exploring my material. Have you come accross "Fandango" or "Super Flip" yet? They are two of my fave card thingies!

THIAGO:

Hey my friend, one of your fellow magi from Brazil is featured doing ALIDA on the video at our website.

MANIPULIX:

Hi, I'm happy you are selling our material.
Do you think we need to translate into German. Would that be of assistance?

MONA:

Hi dear Mona. Thanks for dropping by. Are you still bushed after the convention? Thanks for the Paul Harris pic too!
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Bare Handed
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Bare Handed
Hello from South Dakota. Ben, keep up the good work! Kirk
You live in the world you create!
thinkofacard
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of thinkofacard
I especially love HOODWINK.
I think it's such a great impromtu trick!

My views here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/freezer/view......forum=29

Cheers!

Mark
If you can't stand the blood, get out of the slaughterhouse!
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Hello Ben Harris! Thanks so much for spending some of your time here with us. I look forward to keeping up with the discussions about your work, past and future!

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2002 entrée: Ben Harris » » Welcome to the Cafe Ben! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL