The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Spongeball DVDs? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
I have a basic knowledge of sponge magic, but I want to expand on it. Any recommendations on good Spongeball magic instructional DVD's? I've been looking at 4 different DVDs/sets:

Patrick Page #5 spongeballs
Ben Salinas Encyclopedia of Spongeball
Steve Darci Spongeball toolkit
Daryl Master Course set

Is there any recommendations on one of these DVDs over another? I'd like to learn routines, but I'd also like to learn a variation of sleights as well.

I like Daryl's other DVDs but I'm not sure if I want to drop $50 on the set and I've heard mixed reviews on the other stuff, so I'm kinda stuck at the moment making a decision.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ATXTimeLord
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of ATXTimeLord
If you're new to sponge balls, like I am, I'm starting out with the World's Greatest Magic DVD on Sponge Balls.. Has Daryl, Eugene Burger and Johnny Thompson, as well as Steve Darci... There are others on there, but I don't have the list with me.

mG
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
Hmm...didn't think about that one. Is it mainly just established routines? I'm kinda looking for a mix of both routines and sleights tbh.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Try to get a copy of John Carney's Carneycopia.
He has a very nice routine and he also goes thru the required thought process very well.

Instead of learning moves, learn a great routine as a base and see where it goes.
Gather as much media you can on the subject to learn ideas. More ideas. Less moves.
You can learn moves as you need them and there are really very few needed.

I highly do NOT recommend "sponge".
Touts itself as the final word in sponge balls and is really really poor.
Even the tagline of the DVD is irresponsible. "Last word... " give me a break.

Other good stuff:
A DVD I really like is called "the sanada gimmick DVD". really nice stuff in there.
Tom Stone's Vortex book, I believe has an interesting stage sponge routine.
Check out Slydini's napkins to box for ideas.
Gregory wilson's "on the spot" has some napkin work that would translate.
2 cups and balls DVD from Carl andrews is really good and has a sponge routine + cups routine.
the world famous bowl trick is good and worth a read
Café member Werner Seitz R.I.P. has a well-done bowl routine on youtube.
Definitely check out Charlie Frye's work on one of his eccentricks DVDs (they are all fabulous, as is charlie himself)
Ex-cafe member Scott Guinn has a nice sponge routine.
One of the most entertaining routines is Chris Capehart's. It's on his kids DVD and you have to read between the lines to see how entertaining it can be for adults, but I saw him do it in a lecture and it was hilarious and riviting.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
Thanks for the ideas Frank, I really appreciate the insight!! I definitely won't be watching anything put out by Jay Noblezada. Never been impressed with him.
Andy Gemini
View Profile
Regular user
England
119 Posts

Profile of Andy Gemini
Hi
I have 'Spongeball Toolbox' with Steve Dacri and I can say in my opinion, it is really good. Steve shares a few routines and some sleights worth knowing.
I had no real idea about how great spongeballs can be when I bought this DVD and so I found it very useful, so yes I would recommend it.
Have also heard good things about the Pat Page and WGM spongeball DVDs too.
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
Has anyone read Jon Jensen's Spongeball books? Would they be better alternatives? If I got the Dacri Toolbox DVD and the two books, would there be too much redundancy?
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
I can essentially get the Toolbox and the books for less than $40 from Penguin right now.
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
Couldn't make up my mind, so I went with the Toolkit DVD, The two Jensen books, and the Pat Page DVD. I figure there should be more than enough info in those to satisfy every facet of sponge magic. Btw, was able to secure all of that for just $50, so I'm happy with that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Spongeball DVDs? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL