The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Peek Deck DIY (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2018, Mr. Woolery wrote:
Just looked this up in my copy of My Best. ...

Patrick

Just did a refresh read of my copy of My Best. I had forgotten that the various effects I mentioned were presented in My Best!
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
There's a lot of great stuff in that book.

Okay, I'll dig out a spare deck and set it up tomorrow if I get the chance. Your reason for thinner cards makes sense, now. Thanks for explaining. I don't think I will be doing that, though. I'll just grab a deck and start gluing. After doing the needed work, of course.

Seems like a great reason to have an index, too. Although I would probably do it as a mental effect. With the peek deck, I'd know what card to get from my pocket, so I could have that card out (different back color) before having the participant name his card. Not as magical, but it would look like a really clean force when it is really something quite different. Or do it as a divination. I wonder why such a straightforward utility prop isn't more widely used...

-Patrick
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2018, Mr. Woolery wrote:
There's a lot of great stuff in that book.

Okay, I'll dig out a spare deck and set it up tomorrow if I get the chance. Your reason for thinner cards makes sense, now. Thanks for explaining. I don't think I will be doing that, though. I'll just grab a deck and start gluing. After doing the needed work, of course.

Seems like a great reason to have an index, too. Although I would probably do it as a mental effect. With the peek deck, I'd know what card to get from my pocket, so I could have that card out (different back color) before having the participant name his card. Not as magical, but it would look like a really clean force when it is really something quite different. Or do it as a divination. I wonder why such a straightforward utility prop isn't more widely used...

-Patrick

My Best sure is a great book. First trick I learned was "Here's Your Card." Showed it for my debut at the local magician's fellowship. They loved it!

Another item on the Peek Deck. In my rereading it said you *can* riffle shuffle the deck -- it's because the way the doubles are formed they fall as pairs when backs are up. I tried it several times -- no fails. Now I'm emboldened !!!

Phil
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
No doubt someone else has used the following as an effect. I may have read it somewhere but don't recall! But this came to mind yesterday and I tried it on the Mrs.

Use an Invisible Deck and the Peek deck. Have the spec peek a card from the Peek deck. Next pull the invisible deck out of a pocket. Announce that before the spec peeked you reversed one card in the deck. Spread to the reversed card and place it face down on the table. Have the spec announce the card he merely peeked at, then dramatically show the face down card to the audience! They match! This makes it a precognition effect rather than a mind reading effect.

The Mrs. was astounded! (BTW, I've shown her the Peek Deck trick and the ID as separate tricks weeks ago... She didn't put two and two together that the props were the same.) It presents as an entirely different effect!
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Good thinking.

Patrick
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Is this deck different from the "peek pack"? (Brian Gillis)
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2019, FlightRisk wrote:
Is this deck different from the "peek pack"? (Brian Gillis)

I'm not sure since I don't have the peek pack, but I suspect the principle must be very close but probably different. With the Taylor Peek deck the spec separates the deck with his forefinger to peek at a card. It appears that the magi handles the deck with the Gillis deck -- at least from the only video I've seen. In that video, I think the Gillis deck looks too much like a force.

Phil
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I thought I had posted my update to my new improved peek deck. The neat part that I'll reveal hers is that my new version takes advantage of and uses the manipulation cards that we discussed earlier in this thread. And I don't need an index if one wants to do the card to pocket effect! A big plus. If anyone is interested in the construction send me a pm.

Phil
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Thanks Doc. I was considering purchasing (just to have if nothing else) the "Peek Pack", but if I can do exactly the same thing with "Get Sharky", it wouldn't make any sense.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, Bill08 wrote:
These are the manipulation cards. Thin but suspicious back design
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/magic-tr......tifyAB=0

Yes nice cards, shame about the unfortunate wording.
Use the FORCE Luke.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, Bill08 wrote:

Yes nice cards, shame about the unfortunate wording.

Hello!
Here are the cards I finally found and used to make my Peek Deck.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32692759......01603_52

Phil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Peek Deck DIY (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL