The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spirit Cabinet ending..good or bad? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Maddies Ghost
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Maddies Ghost
I want to to finish a spirit cabinet routine,on a spooky theme not comedy ,by having the medium/magician assistant vanish,with accompanying dramatic scream.
What do people think of this idea and how to achieve it,assuming no trap doors. I was thinking something like the method behind Sphinx illusion,a large table to do the work.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
This isn't an area to discuss methods. I can say there are spirit cabinet designs that would allow you to do this without a trap door or table.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Maddies Ghost
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Maddies Ghost
Methods are often discussed albeit vaguely in the open forum.More opinions than anything I was seeking.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
It's a good idea, but the secret to how to accomplish the mystery is easily worth a million dollars.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2018, Maddies Ghost wrote:
I want to to finish a spirit cabinet routine,on a spooky theme not comedy ,by having the medium/magician assistant vanish,with accompanying dramatic scream.
What do people think of this idea and how to achieve it,assuming no trap doors. I was thinking something like the method behind Sphinx illusion,a large table to do the work.

Why not have the spectator you have as a participant b e the one who dies?
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Depending on the actual configuration of the venue, the method is relatively straightforward. I'd look at Mark Wilson's Complete Course in the illusion section.

However, is that really what you want happening? Do you want to leave the audience with the unresolved issue of where the medium went? If that's how you want to end it, that's fine. But it does rather tend to scream "this is not real spirit communication." Which may well be what you are going for. In which case, go for it.

I'm not sure how I would do a spirit cabinet, but I am sure I would want it to leave the question of whether this is real or not. If possible, the thrust would be to make it seem like there's no other explanation than actual supernatural happenings. I think vanishing like that would be too much to swallow.

Again, perhaps my inclinations are totally out of line with your intent, in which case, please ignore what I've said, here.

-Patrick
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2018, Mr. Woolery wrote:

I'm not sure how I would do a spirit cabinet, but I am sure I would want it to leave the question of whether this is real or not. If possible, the thrust would be to make it seem like there's no other explanation than actual supernatural happenings.

-Patrick

I am working on a manuscript at the moment on making the Spirit Cabinet more real, I'd hoped to release it before Xmas but it wasn't to be. I hope to have it out during the first half of this year.
Maddies Ghost
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Maddies Ghost
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2018, Mr. Woolery wrote:
Depending on the actual configuration of the venue, the method is relatively straightforward. I'd look at Mark Wilson's Complete Course in the illusion section.

However, is that really what you want happening? Do you want to leave the audience with the unresolved issue of where the medium went? If that's how you want to end it, that's fine. But it does rather tend to scream "this is not real spirit communication." Which may well be what you are going for. In which case, go for it.

I'm not sure how I would do a spirit cabinet, but I am sure I would want it to leave the question of whether this is real or not. If possible, the thrust would be to make it seem like there's no other explanation than actual supernatural happenings. I think vanishing like that would be too much to swallow.

Again, perhaps my inclinations are totally out of line with your intent, in which case, please ignore what I've said, here.

-Patrick

I think it adds to spirit communication,bad spirit steals person.But there will be a kicker ending which resolves the issue to a degree.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
What kind of overall vibe are you going for here? Spookshow? Traditional act?

Depending on the desired performance style, a "kicker ending" may just be magician think spoiling a good thing.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2018, weepinwil wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2018, Maddies Ghost wrote:

Why not have the spectator you have as a participant be the one who dies?

Disregard this suggestion. Had it happen at a funeral yesterday and wasn't as dramatic as I had imagined.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Apologies, but I think that's a problematic ending, Maddie's Ghost. Here's why:

By showing the audience that the medium can get out of the cabinet, you're also demonstrating that other assistance (of the tambourine-rattling kind) could just as easily get in. That's shooting yourself in the magical foot.

I've done a lot of thinking about the Spirit Cabinet; for more, please see my lecture notes.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spirit Cabinet ending..good or bad? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL