The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids magic witha motivational spin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Radioactive
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Radioactive
I'm in the process of tweaking an existing school show for kids around 10-13 with a few items with a motivational message... Nothing too deep obviously, things like goal setting, time management etc.

Has anyone got any ideas for tricks that could be slanted towards a motivational spin or any sucess stories?
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
How about catching a bubble (Bewitching Bubbles?) with some patter about persistence in chasing a goal/dream.

You could explain how there's no such thing as failure, only learning experiences, as you unsuccessfully grab and pop the bubbles before "catching" one.

Not sure how this would play out with 10-13 year olds.
kaznzak
View Profile
New user
Australia
60 Posts

Profile of kaznzak
You could try a professor's nightmare routine to emphasise balance/imbalance in their life or priorities - not sure how but say something like - long rope = time spent watching tv, middle rope = computer games, short rope = homework? Lots of opportumities for variation but you probably get the picture.
Hope this helps!
Kaz Smile
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
I am a teenager, though a little older. I don't wish to be blunt or rude, but I will tell you that from a teenager's point of view, you guys are going about things the wrong way. I think magic is a great tool to teach someone something important, it adds fun to a message. But adding a message to your magic also deviates from the point. The kids in the audience are going to think, wow awesome magic, then, there he goes, same old stuff. So my point is, if you have to or wish to add a message to your magic then be wary, for children and teenagers can sniff out anyhting that sounds "educational", and we can also be quite rude. My first show, with 200+ people mostly kids, was soemwhat motivational as it was for the Catholic church. After I did my show, the priest got up and did a totally motivationally speech to the kids. About half of them left before he was done. If I had of been doing it they would have stayed maybe, cause they liked the magic, or maybe it would have ruined my act. Sorry for ranting, but be careful and good luck! Smile
Radioactive
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Radioactive
Far from ranting, you're dead right.

Doing magic with a message, especially to kids older than ... umm .. old enough to tie their shoelaces anyway, is for the most part a silly thing to do for the sake of doing it ...

BUT -

its one of those things where if you can do 3 or 4 tricks with some sort of positive message its so much easier to market the show and then sell it to schools, which are a place of learning and not a place where kids go to see tricks.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Mith is right on!
It's something I've been saying for years: You can't just graft a message onto the magic or the magic onto a message.
As the late movie producer Sam Goldwyn said: "If you want to send a message, call Western Union."
Sure, you may be able to sell a motivational show, to the adults who are in charge; but are the young people going to have any interest in it? I don't think so!
It's not unlike magicians who still do patter involving nursery rhymes while the kids in their audience are interested in computers, MTV, and cell phones.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Peter is saying exacty what I was trying to with a little less confusion. Also radioactive, when I still went to a normal high school, there were plenty of shows just for the pleasure of some of us better students. I did a school show two months ago purely for the pleasure of the kids involved. So if the only reason you are doing motivation is to sell the adults, don't do it!
Jimo
View Profile
New user
Bristol
18 Posts

Profile of Jimo
It might boil down to who is paying you to be there---the kids or the adults in charge.The trick is to be motivational without being obvious---you can't throw it together the night before without being busted. If it was easy everyone who be doing it.----Cheers!-------Jimo
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
In sharing ANY type of magic, I try to remember to teach not to PREACH.

Most people would rather see than hear a sermon. This does not necessarily mean a motivational magic show(although I do offer them), but how you live your life on and on line. In other words the bookers and the audience view more than just your time on stage.

At one time, I did think about going into
the ministry. I always wanted to do more T.V.
(with tongue firmly into my nearly normal cheek).

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Just to add my two-cents.

New Jersey has a state staute which requires assembly program to be educational in value. Straight magical fun-loving, rip-roaring laughter shows are out! That doesn't mean it can't be done, it is just frowned upon to use public funds for non-educational programs in public schools. This is a huge debatible issue I would rather not get into.

Along comes, theme shows and educational shows which do meet the state requirement, and they get the money.

Above are a lot of good points. Both worlds can be obtained if done right. My Fire Safety Show and my Safety Show do meet the requirements and they are entertaining, but I still love the "pure" family fun magic shows the best.

It is my belief to merge these two, magic and message, it has to be fun, and entertaining, interlaced with comedy to hit home with the message. Self-esteem and Motivational messages are tough choices to do this, a lot harder than teaching the dangers of fire.

Some vent acts can do this a lot easier. Now Steve Taylor is a pro in this area and he is the one to seek for expert advice. I have his lecture notes on "Creating and Writing Educational Magic Programs" and find it excellent. A comedy routine with the dummy and the ventriloquist can get the message across a lot better then some magic trick, although possible.

If you want to hit a home run, then the message, must be accepted by the receiver before it is delivered. Teens don't need lecturing, they get enough of that.
Dennis Michael
brownsentertainment
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of brownsentertainment
I'm putting together a motivational show called, "I can succeed". Is there anyone who could provide some feedback along those lines?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids magic witha motivational spin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL