The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cup & Ball: (props) ; Scott Alexander Penguin Live (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of TheHillusionist
Hi there,

To keep this brief.. I cannot seem to find a wand strong enough to be able to lift the ball from outside of the cup to the top the cup. (If you know what I mean).

Can anybody point me in the right direction? I have a chop cup... perhaps I require a new cup..or wand.. or a new set atogether.

Thank you very much.
Peckham
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Peckham
You will probably have to have a custom wand made for you....
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I'm not aware of any (commonly found) wands that are m******c, as I've seen very few routines involving something like that. I think it would end up being noticeable to a spectator either because (a) it's a "just right" amount, and you have to move slowly, or (b) it's strong, and you have to get it to hand without noticing (and then it's in hand, not on top of the cup).

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding what it is you're trying to achieve.
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Perhaps I will do something with paper cups similar to what Craig Petty does in his "Chop" routine with the bill in lemon. Geez .. I had no clue it would be so hard to find.
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

I would hazard a guess that you're probably understanding me correctly. I simply want to lift the object to the top of the cup from the outside.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I'm not familiar with how Chop! works, so I can't comment on it specifically. Perhaps you might be able to find similar workings in a TT, PK ring, or one of the recent similar releases?
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1527 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Search rare earth midgets.
Remember, slightly less than two present of all UFO sightings turn out to be actual extraterrestrial craft.
Borrow three wide brimmed felt hats from the audience.
Dr. Harlan Tarbell
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Porper makes a really good one
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
LuckyMan80
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of LuckyMan80
This does not answer your question as posed, however,if you are not above a little DIY:

I made a chop wand out of 3/8" (interior) copper pipe into which I inserted a 3/8" wooden dowel cut down to accommodate two strong 3/8" x 1/2" magnets (https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D68-N52&cat=168) on either side. I wrapped it along the long edge of 3" black buckram--nice texture on buckram, good grip--book tape (https://www.amazon.com/Colored-Premium-Cloth-Binding-Repair-BookGuard/dp/B00W3SRRKI. This 3" tape is wider than necessary for 3/8" pipe so I trimmed to fit with a razor blade)and then put some white tape(sealing in the magnets) on the ends and wound a short section around each end for that 'smart, finished look.'

Now, in practice: By pushing the cup (now covering the ball on the table) to one side the ball will be close to the other side of the cup. Use the chop wand to attract the covered ball and 'walk it' up to the bottom of the inverted cup and leave it there. Then pantomime walking it down the other side using some humorous presentational pretext or other. Place the wand down and take an obvious peek to see if the gambit has worked, though you will likely feel the ball as it moves with the walking wand to the top of the inverted cup. If so, move on with your routine. If not, do the procedure again.

Ta-da!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cup & Ball: (props) ; Scott Alexander Penguin Live (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL