The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Minimalistic, Metaphysical Mentalism by Scott Creasey (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1642 Posts

Profile of The Duster
A quick review:

FIRST DISCLAIMER:

I had a good idea before I bought the book that it likely would have a lot of routines that I wouldn’t like/want to do. So why did I buy it? There were so many good things being writen about the quality of the work, and I like to read as much as I can.

Why would I think I wouldn't like a lot of the routines? As I’m fervently against performing an act that will encourage people into silly beliefs. As I worry about a duty of care and that they will base my ‘real’ emotional mentalism act to further their beliefs and spending on psychic’s and mediums. I abhor the recklessness and money grabbing shows/acts like those put forward on instructional DVDs by the likes of Luke Jermay.

I know this is just how I think and others have no issues with this. But this should show that I [my review] may be coming from a biased point of view.

SECOND DISCLAIMER:

I have avoided learning any card mechanic type moves. I’ve always felt that I wanted to find solutions that didn’t involve DLs, or false shuffles, etc. This is clearly a restrictive choice I have imposed – and I know that it may seem silly to have done so. But I like that I honestly don't make any card 'moves'.

Now the vast majority of the effects in the book do need a sleight or two. And of course the effects are firmly in the emotional mentalism type bracket.

I knew going in that the effects were not my type, I didn’t realise that they would also be quite so sleight dependent.

Now having got the disclaimers out of the way...

NIGGLE:

It’s mentioned that the book has been proof read a lot. I was a little disappointed that spelling mistakes are still in the book, quite a few. As the book is sold so that you pay for a copy, then it gets printed and sent. I would have thought to get corrections made would have been so much easier than in the traditional way of having to wait for a second run. There are the usual amount of mistakes [for a self-published book]. Although many of them stand out [as being obvious and should have been spotted] – you can always work out what is meant.

So this is just a niggle. I think it's because I have dyslexia and through ten years of writing for magazines and the odd book - I have always been super careful, so much so that the professional proof readers always rated my copy as being the one with the least errors.

THE REVIEW:

So onto the book [content] itself.

I think this is an excellent book.

It may not be my branch of mentalism – but the routines, the thoughts and the explanations are all of the highest order. As are the essays.

The years [Scott has] of working the effects, certainly shine through. Also the way the book builds, is rather skilful in itself.

I would highly recommend this book.

It’s unlikely I will perform any of these effects, or if I do I will be changing them to make them more ‘fun’ and less [in my opinion] potentially ‘damaging’.

A final note, if you are not a move junkie – the added video [of the main move] will be a god send. So don’t be scared off by there being moves.

If someone who has so many reasons to not like the book, comes away recommending it – that should suggest the book itself is full of quality ideas, and thoughts – and has been written up in a clear and coherent manner.

Finally – I am sure Lulu have an offer of some sort of discount – they always do – if you are too lazy to check that out yourself… just PM Scott and he will tell you the latest deal by PM

x
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
716 Posts

Profile of Scott
Duster,

Thank you very much for your very honest review, I seriously do appreciate both the positive and negative aspects all of which I am taking on-board as constructive criticism.

Of course I understand that the metaphysical side is not to everybody's taste and to be honest I didn't think the book would do as well as it has because of that, so I was taken somewhat by surprise.

Volume two however is aimed at those who don't like the metaphysical approach and will consist of about thirty or more routines (using the same sleights in some of them) with a less psychic slant.

I would however like to expand on a couple of your comments just to clarify my performance persona (for everybody) because no matter how it comes over in the book, I have a great respect for my audiences and choose what I say and how I say it very carefully during my shows. I have no intention during a show to either undermine anybody's personal belief system or impose mine upon them.

My attitude is very much along the lines of the Piddington's, "You be the judge".

Quote:
encourage people into silly beliefs ........ less [in my opinion] potentially 'damaging'.

To be honest (and this is my opinion) I think everything we do and say during a presentation of mentalism is potentially damaging because most belief systems, whether they be religious, philosophical or ideological appear silly (and in many cases scary) to those who don't buy into them, you only have to look at human history to see how destructive many of them have and are still being.

But even the (almost) psychologically scientific realms of Hypnosis, positive visualization, NLP etc etc which many modern mentalist frame their performances around, will not work in the real world, unless you believe they will work. The problem is you only have to browse a few psychology discussion groups to realize that some people, who wouldn't dream of having a tarot reading for example, have a potentially damaging reliance on these psychological techniques.

The human mind sure is a strange, wonderful and terrifying thing.

Which is why I believe (there's that word again) and I have said it a thousand times to those I lecture for, no matter what hook you hang your performance on it is important to spend more time on scripting than the mechanics of a routine, to ensure your audiences are led SAFELY up the garden path.

From the kids entertainer who influences the belief systems of five year old children by telling them the white rabbit appears by magic from the empty top hat, to the corporate lecturer who uses a magic square and pseudo memory techniques to convince his audience he's trained his mind to be a super computer, all magic and mentalism is a lie.

All belief systems are a lie ............. unless you believe them.

Words have power.

On a less serious note, and while I'm writing in The Latest and Greatest, I have just added my MMM lecture notes to my web-page, they are available as an instant download ebook for 15 pounds. 50 pages, covering 7 routines two from volume one and five from volume two. As volume two hasn't been released yet, the 5 are a sneak preview of what is to come.

If anybody is interested here is the link to the lecture notes. https://www.mentalmagicism.com/store/p39/MMMLecture.html

And if Duster's review has got you thinking about the book here's the link https://www.mentalmagicism.com/books-on-lulu.html

Many regards

Scott

P.S. As Duster said, for those who are too lazy to check for yourselves or don't want to PM me, Lulu have a discount on at the moment. Save 15% on orders of print books and calendars Use Code: ONEFIVE Ends 21 March at 11:59 PM Smile
Scott Creasey - Mind Reader

Original Routines With A Mental Flavour

http://www.mentalmagicism.com/
TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
Hey Scott,
Unless I missed it, I don’t believe volume 2 is released yet, right? If so, about roughly when will you plan to release it?
Also, do you mind giving a brief description of what routines are in the lecture notes?
I emailed you about this but I don’t know if you saw my email.
Thanks!
K
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
716 Posts

Profile of Scott
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2019, TheDBK wrote:
Hey Scott,
Unless I missed it, I don't believe volume 2 is released yet, right? If so, about roughly when will you plan to release it?
Also, do you mind giving a brief description of what routines are in the lecture notes?
I emailed you about this but I don't know if you saw my email.
Thanks!
K

Sorry I didn't see your email.

I am actually writing routine number 28 in volume 2 as we speak but due to a water leak that brought the ceiling down in my house two weeks ago we are living in what amounts to a building site so I'm now about three weeks behind schedule. Hopefully I'll have it published by the end of April. As for the lecture notes the contents are as follows.

Contents

Introduction 4 The why and how

Minimalistic Props 6 (Vol 1) The props used

Unconscious Muscle Memory 8 (vol 1) Divining how many cards are cut from a stack while your back is turned.

The Rhine Experiment 13 (vol 2) A recreation of the Rhine experiment carried out with Hubert Pearce in 1934

Predictive Perception of Pi 18 (vol 2) Pi predicts a number created at random by three audience members.

Veridical Afterimage 24 (vol 2) You manifest the Ghost of a departed celeb.

The Retrospect Prophecy 30 (vol 2) A utility technique that enables you to predict just about anything real time.

A Coin in the hand is worth 33 (vol 2) Predict the value and date of a random coin and the result of a coin toss using the previous technique.

Retrospective Rhine 38 (vol 2) A volunteer matches esp symbols using a variation of the retrospect prophecy technique.

Bonus 41 The why and how

The Mystic Square 42 (vol 1) A magic square with a numerology reading a tarot prediction and a kicker ending

Conclusion 47 The end

All of the routines using nothing more than the double blank cards and a pen.

Hope that helps.

TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
Sorry to hear about your ceiling man. Hopefully it’s not too bad and you can get it fixed it you haven’t already.
K
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
716 Posts

Profile of Scott
So a quick update.

Minimalistic, Metaphysical, Mentalism Volume 2 is getting there.

Had a few delays due to the MMM lecture tour and a run of gigs but I'm 267 pages 30 routines and 9 essays in, and I've got maybe three more routines to complete before adding dozens of photographs.

I'm hoping to have the final proof read copy ready to publish in the next week or so and have it up on my site for sale by the end of May.

If you are in the UK for the Minds convention in June, I'll be performing and explaining seven of the MMM routines during my lecture on Saturday the 29th and should have copies of both volumes with me if you want to look before you buy.

Cheers Guys

Regards

Scott

Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Psy
Great news! What would be the price?
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2994 Posts

Profile of 252life
Fantastic can’t wait Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6655 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Wow! Scott puts out such great stuff! It's incredible the amount of ideas and methods he has amassed. I'm sure this volume will be filled with fantastic routines and worker ideas.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1194 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Fantastic news!
Lakewood, Ohio
Johnny250
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Johnny250
One of the best books I have read in the öast years. Good news.
Johnny250
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Johnny250
One of the best books I have read in the last years. Good news.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3860 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2019, The Duster wrote:

NIGGLE:

It’s mentioned that the book has been proof read a lot. I was a little disappointed that spelling mistakes are still in the book, quite a few. As the book is sold so that you pay for a copy, then it gets printed and sent. I would have thought to get corrections made would have been so much easier than in the traditional way of having to wait for a second run. There are the usual amount of mistakes [for a self-published book]. Although many of them stand out [as being obvious and should have been spotted] – you can always work out what is meant.

So this is just a niggle. I think it's because I have dyslexia and through ten years of writing for magazines and the odd book - I have always been super careful, so much so that the professional proof readers always rated my copy as being the one with the least errors.

I feel your pain on this but let me comment from the other side of the coin. Without spending big bucks professional proof readers are hard to find, even harder when you want to avoid exposure by keeping it in the community. As a result a lot of magic books are proofed by many “experienced” people within our industry. I can’t speak for Scott’s book but speaking from my own experience writing a book takes a lot of time, HC2 has been in the works for 2 years and HC took about that. Each round of proofing takes time and unfortunately the disadvantage of using people in the community is they can get caught up in the effects and descriptions and miss the odd error because they understand the text so well.

I am dyslexic myself so writing a book is probably not the best idea but HC had around 10 proof readers and all of the proof reading and editing took several months. Even then Phill Smith spotted a few errors in the final version and sent it back to me to go through with a fine tooth comb before sending it to print. I went through it 5 times with a fine tooth comb and on each pass I found and corrected more errors and not just a few, each pass turned up 20 or more. Despite all that there are still some in the printed book and some glaringly obvious once you spot them.

Generally many of us who put out a book or two are not professional authors (although I do write technical manuals in my day job and ironically act as a proof reader/peer reviewer for others. As I put in the intro to HC the aim is to teach some good tricks, not to create a literary masterpiece.

For most the writing is done after the day job whether the day job is performing or doing a 9-5. There comes a point where you have to call it done even knowing that it probably isn’t perfect. The effort to profit ratio isn’t great on magic books, even high priced ones, especially if you pay for layout, illustrations and high end publishing. For the same number of hours it takes to write a good book you’d make more profit working at Maccy D’s.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
716 Posts

Profile of Scott
Quote:
On May 9, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:

For most the writing is done after the day job whether the day job is performing or doing a 9-5. There comes a point where you have to call it done even knowing that it probably isn't perfect. The effort to profit ratio isn't great on magic books, even high priced ones, especially if you pay for layout, illustrations and high end publishing. For the same number of hours it takes to write a good book you'd make more profit working at Maccy D's.

Mark

Mark,

I couldn't agree more and because the effort to profit ratio isn't great on professionally published magic books, many (like myself) are venturing down the self-publishing route. The problem is of course attempting to make the venture financially viable, by keeping production costs to a minimum, sometimes results in errors that are overlooked.

Volume one of MMM took just over a year to write and although not completed yet, volume two has also taken a year so far, that's with working on them everyday, sometimes for an hour between gigs, lectures and other distractions sometimes straight through and into the early hours of the morning.

Of course when we say it's taken a year or two years to write a book, we aren't including the thirty years of work that has gone into the creation and refinement of the routines in the first place, I'm not sure what price you'd put on that.

I'll be honest with over thirty routines in the first volume and over thirty in the next I did originally contemplate writing each routine up and then releasing one a month as an ebook for the next five years at 20 quid a pop, it would have been much less work and much more profitable and honestly, you wouldn't believe the number of well known working pro's who have said I should have released the Q&A that appears in volume one, as a standalone method and at a much higher price than I charge for the full book.

But I eventually decided to put all the stuff I love into one place partially as a legacy, but mainly so I can then take a step back and focus in a different direction.

Hopefully Volume two will have a few less errors than volume one.

Cheers.

Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6655 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Scott, you could have easily sold each effect as one ebook each. Your stuff is great and is light years ahead of many of the other things I've seen out there.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
716 Posts

Profile of Scott
Quote:
On May 9, 2019, Greg Arce wrote:
Scott, you could have easily sold each effect as one ebook each. Your stuff is great and is light years ahead of many of the other things I've seen out there.

Greg

Thanks Greg that's very nice of you to say.

Cheers.

The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1642 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Mark

I understand all of that

My point was - that MMM is, unlike HC, a print to order book.

I didn't buy it when it first hit the store

I would have expected that the best proof readers in the world - would be the customers, and I would have thought it would then be 'corrected' for the next copy that is sold.

But again I repeat - it was only a small niggle

If I were to self publish - I would ask anyone who spots a mistake to let me know...

Ever since my first released text, I always print out the work [on the computer I find it harder to spot simple mistakes] - and then I slowly read [out aloud] the text.

You are correct that [not being a magic book] I then had professional proof readers - who picked up next to no spelling mistakes... usually it's more to do with correct practices, or often using the wrong word - that would catch me out... like 'where' or 'were' - except those and 'your/you're' were never the problem for me.

I think it's going theough the pain of making the text the best it can be - that makes me notice it so much in magic books.

Again - small niggle

Anyway once released [if print to order] you have 100+ proof readers
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3860 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I agree with Greg about the material being worthy of of selling individually. That said I don’t have MMM yet but it’s on my list. I have bought most of Scott’s material and I have never been disappointed. Not only is Scott’s material extremely devious and clever in most cases but more importantly it is practical, workable and audience tested. As Scott points out the putting pen to paper is the smallest part, coming up with the material, going out and working it then refining it and polishing it is the hard part.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1642 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Yeah [to Scott's material being devious and clever]

I've been using the Switch-a-lope in my shows - and it is so temperamental that I thank goodness I do stage shows – as I have had to cause massive misdirection, get someone to come up on stage to cover a horrible move, I have to do to make it work

I liked, made up, but never used ‘in anger’ Scott’s Empty Multiple Out

As the Switch-a-lope is the big end of set pay off... and it's doesn't get easier to use...

I look forward to ‘switching’ to Scott’s envelope from next week – as it will take so much of the worry out of the end of my set

And as a bonus – the bare envelope can be put up on the METAL tripod I have – and is out in the open the whole time.

Yeah – it’s one of those purchases that sort of ended up in the back of my ‘mind’ drawer – and now proves to have not been one of those products you buy but never use…

Best of all is I have already made up three of them… good days
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
716 Posts

Profile of Scott
Quick update for those who are interested.

I've just completed the written content of Minimalistic, Metaphysical, Mentalism Volume two. Just over 300 pages and 31 full mentalism routines interspersed with more essays observations and rants and raves.

I've Just got to complete 24 photo's of the 39 in total, but I'm hoping to get back the proof read copies, get it uploaded to Lulu and have some copies for sale at the MINDS6 convention at the end of June.

If you are attending MINDS6, I'll be lecturing some of the routines on Saturday the 29th.

I won't be bringing many copies of volumes one and two so if you want one at the convention discounted price on the day, get in early, if you aren't going to make it to MINDS6 then all those on my mailing list will receive an email and a discount when the book is finally ready.

Talking of discounted prices, if you haven't got your copy of volume one yet, Lulu are offering 15% off until midnight on the 30th of May.

Save 15% on orders of print books and calendars
Use Code: ONEFIVE
Ends 30 May at 11:59 PM

Here's the link to volume one if you want to read the reviews. https://www.mentalmagicism.com/books-on-lulu.html

Cheers Guys

Regards

Scott

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Minimalistic, Metaphysical Mentalism by Scott Creasey (41 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL