The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review Request for Daryl's 3 Card Monte DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RandyM
View Profile
Special user
578 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Can someone please give me their opinion/review of Daryl's 3 Card Monte DVD? Did you find it informative enough to perform well (once practiced) worth the moolah, etc.?

Thanks and cheers.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Daryl's Full Monte is an excellent, well-produced introduction to Three-Card Monte. Everything is well performed, and well taught. The concentration of the video is on exhibition routines and moves, both using sleight of hand and gimmicked cards. I recommend it highly.

For information on the actual street scam, and the psychology of the game as it works in the real world, I also highly recommend our DVD and book on the game, The School for Scoundrels Notes and The School for Scoundrels DVD on Three-Card Monte.

These are the only complete resources on the psychology, moves, history, patter and ruses of the Three-Card Monte as it is actually performed as a con game.

I suggest that you will probably find both the Daryl dvd and ours complementary and informative.
vwc06
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of vwc06
Is the School for Scoundrels 3 Card Monte DVD released?
On the School For Scoundrels website, it says it is coming soon. I can't wait for it!
tylerdurden
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tylerdurden
This is a great tape on the 3 card monte if your familirar with a couple different throws, or even if your a begginer this is the one tape that you must have in your collection if you want to use the 3 card monte and it's many variations in your routine.
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
Daryl's tape is superb.

It's one of the best magic vids/dvds around IMO. It's extensive in it's coverage, well performed, well taught, well laid out and well produced. You will learn to do the monte well if you take the time. Even I did! Daryl is smooth and convincing with the moves.

He teaches the essential moves + loads of extra sleights. There are a few good routines on it. The Stuart Judah one is nice and magical. I do that one with some extra parts added. It gets a great reaction.

I can't speak highly enough about it. I guarantee you will not be dissapointed.
stilson
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of stilson
This is a fabulous video. It is totally comprehensive and very clear. I would highly recommend it!
atrudo
View Profile
Regular user
New Hampshire
192 Posts

Profile of atrudo
If you want to do the 3 card monte, you NEED this DVD. It is the best source for the 3 card monte I have ever seen.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2004-04-21 17:31, vwc06 wrote:
Is the School for Scoundrels 3 Card Monte DVD released?
On the School For Scoundrels website, it says it is coming soon. I can't wait for it!

The School for Scoundrels DVD on Three-Card Monte is available now. It is, IMHO, indispensable; and by far the most authoritative, comprehensive, and in depth treatment of this classic scam available.

Even if you have made your living on the streets as a monte dealer your whole life, you will find stuff in here that is new to you.

There is a wealth of never before released information, photos, and video instruction contained here. If you haven't seen this dvd, you don't know the monte.
SGMagician
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of SGMagician
Excellent DVDs. The new School for Scoundrels DVD on Three-Card Monte sounds interesting. I will be getting them soon and posting a review on it
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
I totally love it ! however whit hayden's new 3 card monte dvd just came out, and from what I understand it should even beat daryl's Smile
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Our DVD is very different from Daryl's, with a different sort of information.
B_ball2424
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of B_ball2424
If we talk about moves only are there more moves shown on daryl tape or on the SFS dvd and notes ?
B_ball2424
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of B_ball2424
If we talk about moves only are there more moves shown on daryl tape or on the SFS dvd and notes ?
Horizon
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Horizon
Daryl's has a ton of variations of the 3 card monte. Even if you already know a lot I think you'll get some new tips and variations from this. It does get pretty boring after a while though since it is around 2 hours of the same type of routine.
Its good.
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
322 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
Daryl's DVD is fantastic. I'm also looking to add the SFS DVD to my collection.
aamwood
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of aamwood
You can't go wrong with Daryl's three card monte. Too cool !!
aamwood
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of aamwood
You can't go wrong with Daryl's three card monte. Too cool !!
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
This DVD is packed full. Huge value for the money I have just about everything Daryl has put out and this is one of my favorites.

Get the DVD
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2004-08-28 16:55, B_ball2424 wrote:

There is much more on the S4S dvd. It includes the whole book full of moves, The School for Scoundrels Notes on Three-Card Monte.

However, Daryl does show more exhibition routines for the monte, and talks about trick cards, etc., which are not a part of our work.

Both dvds are valuable, and they complement each other well. Daryl focuses more on the magician's exhibition routines, ours focuses more on the actual scam.

The S4S dvd has three-hours of video and a 160 page e-book with over 180 photos and illustrations.

It is focused on the way the game is actually played for money, and has lots of actual street patter, photos of street hustlers at work, history, psychology, and what magicians can learn from the street hustlers.
Matt Bartz
View Profile
Loyal user
Gilbert, Arizona
253 Posts

Profile of Matt Bartz
I don't think you could go wrong with either the Daryl dvd or the S4S set.
I think Daryl's dvd is great, and I've never heard anyone say otherwise.
However, S4S recently came out and it getting rave reviews. I've seen Whit perform and I own several of his other effects. If S4S puts it out you know its the real deal.
Randy- pick your poison (or get both), you can't go wrong here.
If S4S had been out at the time I bought Daryl's I probably would have gotten S4S because of how complete the package is. Even though I have Daryl's...S4S is on by "to buy" list.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review Request for Daryl's 3 Card Monte DVD (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL