The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope thru hand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Inner circle
India
1080 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
Can anyone guide me.

Where its explained, its name etc

https://youtu.be/dEOaxmGnBes
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
I'm not sure that it's exactly the same, but that looks a lot like a couple of the effects near the end of the second volume of "Daryl's Expert Rope Magic... made Easy! --- String you Along".

Murf
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That also looks like an old Bruce Postgate's Bangle and Beads move. The video is available on llepub dot com. He has a really long routine he performed for children. The beads are no longer available, but I would guess you can use rope instead. Sorry to say, Bruce Postgate is no longer with us, he was a Canadian magician, and column writer for Abbott's Magic New Tops Magazine back in the day.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right Bill! That does appear to be like something that Bruce did.

But, frankly, I am not particularly impressed by it. (Too much "looping the rope around...")

The "ancient" Ten Kai, or Ten Ichi (I can't remember which) knotted rope penetration through the neck, is much "stronger". (One loop around the neck, and a knot!) I learned it about 1946, in a book by Ralph W. Hull ("Fifteen Minutes With A Piece Of Rope") It might be in Abbott's "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks" also. It has been printed in several rope routines, over the years.

I don't do it for kids, but, it's strong for Senior High School groups, and, adults.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
I agree with Dick that's it't not very impressive and has too much "stuff going on", but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think we sometimes dismiss things becsaue we know too much.

The Tenkai Rope Trick Through Neck can be found in Chapter 3 of "Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks For Magicians"

Murf
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks murf for the Tenkai info. I seem to have a mental block on those two gentlemen's names! Thanks, also for the rope thru neck info. I no longer have the Encyclopedia. --I'm 86, and am culling my library!

I'm inclined to agree with you re: "knowing too much"!!! heehee
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2018, murf wrote:
I'm not sure that it's exactly the same, but that looks a lot like a couple of the effects near the end of the second volume of "Daryl's Expert Rope Magic... made Easy! --- String you Along".

Murf

Yes it has a similar look to some of those effects, but I don't think the method is the same.

The method appears to be what is referred to as a "post and ropes" (there are many such effects in the Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks, but not using the hand like in the video that was provided).

I've seen this effect before, but the closest I could come up with was "In a Tangle" in "Lets Make Magic" by Peter Eldin p26. (I had found this years ago in a local library - it is a children's book.

As to all the looping.. that Dick pointed out, the looping done in the video has relatively little to do with the method. The looping should make the penetration look impossible (again I say, "should"). The real work is in releasing the "post" from the rope.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I found a couple of other sources for similar effects/methods

Lets Make Magic; by Peter Eldin: In a Tangle
String Games, by Richard Darsie: Cutting off the Fingers #1 and #2

Again, I found these in the children's section

I also have a short video of someone using the string of a yoyo to do a similar effect (and he more clearly shows how to intertwine the fingers with the string)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2018, John Long wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2018, murf wrote:

Murf

Yes it has a similar look to some of those effects, but I don't think the method is the same.

The method appears to be what is referred to as a "post and ropes" (there are many such effects in the Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks, but not using the hand like in the video that was provided).

I've seen this effect before, but the closest I could come up with was "In a Tangle" in "Lets Make Magic" by Peter Eldin p26. (I had found this years ago in a local library - it is a children's book.

As to all the looping.. that Dick pointed out, the looping done in the video has relatively little to do with the method. The looping should make the penetration look impossible (again I say, "should"). The real work is in releasing the "post" from the rope.

John

Thanks John Those last two sentences above, sum up my thoughts quite well. My "motto" (KIS MIF) has guided my thinking for a long time! That's why, I like the rope through neck of Mr. Tenkai. Mr. Hull selected the material for his "15 Minutes With A Piece Of Rope" carefully and well. I've used his technique for the vanishing overhand knot, since '46, and it never fails to astonish!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Axel Hecklau has a simple Rope through Wrist effect available on his lecture notes, here: http://www.axelhecklau-shop.com/lng/en/e......tes.html

The one on the YouTube video in the OP looks similar but with Axel's you don’t have to make a loop around your thumb like that.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope thru hand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL