The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Again » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..12..17..22..27..32~33~34 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26806 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
...It seems the shooter was screaming for somebody to stop him and nobody listened. Law officials and others were notified many, many times ...

That appears to be the story - including the dog-whistles about pictures in a red hat, bandanna, inflammatory claim in the name of Islam. And then the social media gets deleted and it becomes a myth. What's left is the bandwagon. Smile

It's been fifteen years since we openly condoned greater communications review per PATRIOT and police using stingray cell monitors ... and inter-agency cooperation ...

I wonder if the parents of the kids affected by these incidents have formed a support group. And perhaps also speaking out as a group would help.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Tom,

Much of the gang violence is over those issues. Without that motivation there would be less violence over those issues

Cause and effect.

More and more the PEOPLE want those things.
What happened to the will of the people?

Since you've chosen to weigh in let me ask YOU.

Is the U.S.more mentally ill than the countries with much less gun violence?

If yes, than why?
If not then addressing mental health can't be the solution, regardless of the lack of/cutting of the funding for it.

Same question as to violence.
Are we just more violent?

I'd like to hear your answers to those questions, as well as you're responses to my many other points.

Japan plays just as much video games, but they don't have the same level of violence, so that's not it, as studies have shown.

Our movies are shown all over the world, with the same result.

Thoughts?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26806 Posts

? Try it as an "I want" statement.

I want...
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
? Try it as an "I want" statement.

I want...

I want....to be able to understand you all of the time. Smile
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2574 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Twister, Yes I agree we could learn from the Japanese schools

Japanese schools teach students it’s wrong to shoot people. They educate the heart as well as the mind. We threaten our teachers with law suits if they decide to step outside the parent’s own moral social beliefs.

“When educating the minds of our youth, we must not forget to educate their hearts,” said the world-renown Tibetan leader, the Dalai Lama.

If you consider that children spend more time at school than they do at home, then the above quote has significant meaning. Both in the US and Japan, the average child in elementary school spends between six and seven hours in school. Then add afternoon activities and you can see how much time children spend outside of the home.

The idea that “the education of the heart” can only be taught at home is impractical. Moral education must have its foundation from the home. All parents have the responsibility of instilling this on their children. But it’s unrealistic to expect these values to stick if a child is only home in the late afternoon or evening. Schools have a primary role to play in this education.
http://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/167166

Tom
A habit is a habit until you realize you doing it, then it is a choice.

The NEW Daycare Magician Book
https://www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

www.tomboleware.com
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Tom,

School is a place for education, not a place to teach morality.
Besides, which morality should they be taught at school that they're being taught at home?

Morality IS being taught at home here, yet you're all saying that it's mental health problem, i.e. these kids are sick in the head.

If they're being taught a proper morality at home specifically, and in this country generally, why are they killing people?

Please take the time to answer ALL off my points and questions, as I've consistently done with you.

I'm sorry to insist, but MY morality requires it in order to have a truly honest conversation.

Thx.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26806 Posts

Quote:
. were always told now isn't the right time to talk about it.

Well, the people involved in this one are making it very clear that they want something done NOW.

Surely they should be listened to...
There's also an article by them outlining how this kid couldn't have gotten a handgun,

The facts are... verifiable. Go look on facebook and instagram.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26806 Posts

Quote:
The idea that “the education of the heart” can only be taught at home is impractical. Moral education must have its foundation from the home. All parents have the responsibility of instilling this on their children. But...

Realistic... shown by example...as seen on TV ...

What you say decorates what you do. Whitewashed, gold leaf or shrink wrapped in shiny plastic...

Who is doing what?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Eleven? What makes an 11 year old girl wanna do this?

If that's not just a rhetorical question, it might be the basis for a discussion proposing some solutions. So, what makes an 11 year old girl want to do this? Where might the investigation begin? How deep do you want to go?

People need to see these as direct questions. Deal from the root. Connect.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
This might get me banned, but if it does I can't think of any better way to go out.
If I do get banned for this, then this place isn't worth posting in anyway.

This girl is a hero. She has more courage than all obfuscators both here, and in the real world, who refuse to have any conversation that might lead to real change.

How anyone can see all the senseless death, so easily preventable, and still cling to their false rhetoric is beyond anyone with a heart, and a brain.

It gets political, so don't watch it if your feelings might get hurt, or worse, that it might change your mind.

https://youtu.be/ZxD3o-9H1lY

I'll check in 24 hours to see if I'm still here.

Of course it could be deleted before anyone sees it, but screw it.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I don't like guns and wouldn't mind seeing them disappear, at all, but why people choose to create and use weapons in the first place is truly a fundamental question. "Enemy images", etc. is the source. A lack of realization that we are one. We need society to begin again to acknowledge that.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
Rockwall,

The U.S. IS the worst when it comes to gun violence, by any metric.

wrong again. (not even close)

Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
How so?

There are quite a few countries with much higher murder rates than the US. That's how so.
If you want to argue about something, try to at least get your facts straight.

https://mises.org/wire/mistake-only-comp......ountries

"But if you're familiar with the OECD, you'll immediately notice a problem with the list Fisher uses. Mexico is an OECD country. So why is Mexico not in this graph? Well, it's pretty apparent that Mexico was left off the list because to do so would interfere with the point Fisher is trying to make. After all, Mexico — in spite of much more restrictive gun laws — has a murder rate many times larger than the US. "

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-th......r-cities

"Third in murders" by what metric? If by the normal measurement - murders per capita, the U.S. ranks on one scale at 99th. Murder rate per million people If it's murder by firearm per capita, we rank 10th. Murders with firearms per million.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I like what Emma said about making the textbooks as the LAST mass shooting. She also said, "If you don't study, you will fail."
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2574 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Making fun of ‘thoughts and prayers’ especially in a time when many need them the most won’t do much to educate the young or solve the problem either.
It’s sad that many of the CNN interviews with the young are being directed and prompted by the news people to answer in a way to fit their own anti-beliefs.

I completely agree that what we need at school is someone waiting with a gun to shoot anybody that walks in with a gun. The rule of law needs to read that the school
guard has a right to shoot first and ask questions later if someone walks in with a gun. It will only take shooting one or two to get the message across.
Shooters pick schools and churches for a reason, they are not that crazy.

Tom

https://www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

www.tomboleware.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26806 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 17, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
...I can't think of any better way to go out.
...How anyone can see all the senseless death, so easily preventable, and still cling to their false rhetoric is beyond anyone with a heart, and a brain.

It gets political, so don't watch it if your feelings might get hurt, or worse, that it might change your mind.

https://youtu.be/ZxD3o-9H1lY

You can add your commentary and the link without recourse to "leaving" - and thanks for adding her speech to our discussion.

She cites a case: https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictiona......s+Moines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxD3o-9H1lY&feature=youtu.be
Listen to what she says at 5:00 for a minute, from her own experience about "should". And her comment about "as many". Then her closing remarks about "register to vote"

I'm going to say "thanks" and hope we hear more of her and her peers making a political difference.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26806 Posts

Quote:
... what we need at school is someone waiting with a gun to shoot anybody that walks in with a gun. ...
That appears rational ... but someone considering bringing a firearm into a school has already pushed away from our ordinary thinking and past the question of "what if someone else who's faster or has a better gun shoots you first". This is not a game or arms race.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, landmark wrote:
Our national religion is killing, the people trained to kill are worshipped, venerated, immune from criticism, billions and billions spent on them and ways to kill, maim, torture, destroy, and then some wonder why there is killing in the air? Really?

Why is it strange that in Sparta, people, including children, would kill each other? What would tell them otherwise?...The country was built on violence and sustains itself with violence. Every strand of propaganda goes into supporting a system of violence. All over the world, 800 bases. It's no secret to anyone.

"Nikolas Cruz, 19, was wearing a maroon shirt with the logo from the Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School... Wednesday shortly after the shooting."
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/flor......ra-grant
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2574 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
From Wikipedia,

"Charles Joseph Whitman was an American mass murderer who became infamous as the "Texas Tower Sniper." On August 1, 1966, he used knives in the slaying of his mother and wife in their respective homes. He then went to the University of Texas in Austin, where the rampage began. He shot and killed three people inside the university tower. He then went to the tower's 28th-floor observation deck, where he fired at random for some 96 minutes, killing an additional eleven people and wounding thirty-one others before he was shot and killed by two Austin police officers. A total of sixteen people were killed; a 17th victim died 35 years later from injuries sustained in the attack."

That was in 1966 long before the weapons of today. Killers will find a way to kill. Sure we have more guns today but the real problem is we have more killing mindsets.

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2574 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2018, R.S. wrote:
If the problem is mental illness (and no doubt, that's a part of the problem), then why did the POTUS revoke a mental illness gun law?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP6XPPx9cWU

Ron

I'm not sure he did that.

None of this is a remotely accurate description of what really happened. A year ago, Congress and Trump eliminated a proposed rule that would have included in the federal government gun background database people who received disability payments from Social Security and received assistance to manage their benefits due to mental impairments.

This is a regulation that potentially deprived between 75,000 to 80,000 people of a right based not on what they had done but on the basis of being classified by the government in a certain way. The fact that these people may have these impairments did not inherently mean that they were dangerous to themselves or others and needed to be kept away from guns.

That's why the regulation was opposed not just by National Rifle Association (NRA) but by several mental health and disability groups and by the American Civil Liberties Union. Pundits largely ignored the latter groups' opposition to the rule, preferring to play up the power of the NRA and their influence on Republicans to turn the issue into a partisan fight.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/02/15/no-tr......for-ment

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2574 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Couldn't edit so Let me add a better link to explain the Repeal in more detail.

It’s sad how the main media likes to only report half truths and twist things.

https://www.nationalreview.com/blog/corn......lly-ill/

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Again » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..12..17..22..27..32~33~34 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL