The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Again » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..28~29~30~31~32~33~34 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I respect Danny's positions regarding the US Constitution because he is one of the few gun supporters here who actually understands that there are other parts of the Constitution that need to be upheld as well.

I think it's also important to realize this, however: while you may think the 2nd Amendment is under attack, there have been no violations of it by the government; that is, every restriction has been either declared Constitutional or unconstitutional, and handled accordingly. So at least for the present, for the most part, the 2nd Amendment is intact. The Supreme Court would never allow a complete ban, so that dog don't hunt. It's a moot question.

But every single minute, including this one, the Fourth Amendment (the right to live without all pervading warrantless mass surveillance, all the time) and Article 1, Section 8 (only Congress shall declare War) are being trashed. So it would be nice to see some of the same kind of outrage over things that are actually happening in real time.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2018, magicfish wrote:
As far as your unconstitutional views, I'll give that one the same attention as Twister gives his racist slurs against rural Americans.

I've addressed it, you just don't like the answer so you ignore, deflect, and project.

Why are you so desperate for it to have mean what you need it to mean? Why does it even matter to you?

Jingo all the way?

Incorrect. You denied there is an accent.
Shall I cut and paste it?
Try pronouncing 'Murican aloud. Who talks like that? I'll await your answer.
Next: Why does racism matter to me? Because it is wrong, and when I see it propagated here, like in your mockery of Americans who speak with an accent that makes them pronounce America as Murica, I speak out against it.

Yes, I denied there is any particular accent, because there IS no accent - except in the minds of those who need to hear one.

And, if you want to fight against racism, you should start with the guy you see in the mirror.
You know, start small, and within your capacity.

You're not fooling anyone.

Have you pronounced it out loud yet? Go on...theres a good gentlemen. Say it. Say "murica" . Good. Now, if you tell me that is not an accent then you are not only a racist but you'll also be a liar and you won't be fooling any of us. (Too many people saw the puppet show you see.)

Uh, yeah, I didn't see any puppet show, except the one you're putting on; dancing on your red, white, and blue strings.

That this insistence is pure projection on your part is what's clear. The only racist and liar is you.

Now go find a mirror, and look in horror at what your credulity has done to you. There's a good old chap.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Yes. You did, that's where you got it from, now stop fibbing.
Oh, and my strings are red and white, and proud of them. But just because I am on the other side of the border doesn't mean I will tolerate racism, bigotry, or stereotyping my fellow North Americans. Every time you slander or defame a group of people by attributing common mindsets and belief systems based on the way they pronounce a word, I will speak out against it.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
... Hypocrisy seems not to bother people any more just so their agenda gets pushed forward...

that's a theme in discussions of human nature. From "what you gotta do" to "traditional"... it's our shadow. In polite language - quoting Alice: The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.' .
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2018, landmark wrote:
I respect Danny's positions regarding the US Constitution because he is one of the few gun supporters here who actually understands that there are other parts of the Constitution that need to be upheld as well.

I think it's also important to realize this, however: while you may think the 2nd Amendment is under attack, there have been no violations of it by the government; that is, every restriction has been either declared Constitutional or unconstitutional, and handled accordingly. So at least for the present, for the most part, the 2nd Amendment is intact. The Supreme Court would never allow a complete ban, so that dog don't hunt. It's a moot question.

But every single minute, including this one, the Fourth Amendment (the right to live without all pervading warrantless mass surveillance, all the time) and Article 1, Section 8 (only Congress shall declare War) are being trashed. So it would be nice to see some of the same kind of outrage over things that are actually happening in real time.

The 4th Amendment is where the government does SERIOUS A DAMAGE to freedom. I will tell you that the effort to unseat a duly elected president is a bit disconcerting.

But on the 4th amendment the idea that if one is not doing anything wrong you have no worries is te phrase that horrofies me.

The 10th amendment is no longer of any real use. The federal leviathan has taken over.

Go for gun laws. Juat do it within the parameters of the constitution. And just because attacks are not successful, in no way means that the 2nd Amendment is not under attack. It is under constant attack.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
On a happier note, it seems the students aren't going to quiet down anytime soon -

https://nypost.com/2018/04/20/nyc-studen......lumbine/

Those disrespectful brats! Exercising their rights! Someone should force them to pledge their allegiance!

Tick tock, tick tock. LMAO!!!
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
A ‘murican is someone who pronounces “America” or “American” with the accent on the “M,” usually pronouncing the “A” as a exhaled “uh.” It is usually attributed to “rednecks,” although not specifically Southern ones.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
A ‘murican is someone who pronounces “America” or “American” with the accent on the “M,” usually pronouncing the “A” as a exhaled “uh.” It is usually attributed to “rednecks,” although not specifically Southern ones.

It is ALWAYS a derisive hateful term to denigrate those the oh so smart disagree with in "flyover country".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:

Thanks Ed. So you agree with me that there is an accent implied there.
I've heard the term red neck up here quite a bit over the years. It also seems stereotypical. Is it a common term in the States?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

The "'murica" thing implies slurring the word. Not saying it as learned in the pledge of allegiance. It's not about our farmers, ranchers, folks from the midwest. Back to the silent "a" - as inhale - we got that with "one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" in the headlines.

That kind of meme goes back a little further to "AmeriKa" as shorthand for hostile and probably all the way to back to "bon mot" and "le mot juste" banter.

If you point out a local group or ethnicity which takes that pronunciation as preferred/normal - I'm up for reconsidering my opinion.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is not about what it goes back to. It is simply the hate filed way it is used to deride people some disagree with.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Quote:

It is ALWAYS a derisive hateful term to denigrate those the oh so smart disagree with in "flyover country".

It IS derisive, they’re certainly making fun of people who use the term. I’ve never heard any hatred in it though. Certainly not as much hatred as the rednecks seem to put into the word “liberal!” (Or, “lib’rul,” as it’s usually pronounced by them.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Ed. So you agree with me that there is an accent implied there.
I've heard the term red neck up here quite a bit over the years. It also seems stereotypical. Is it a common term in the States?

Not really. It seems to transcend boundaries that would be defined by a specific accent. ( i.e. Southern or Western.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

It IS derisive, they’re certainly making fun of people who use the term. I’ve never heard any hatred in it though. Certainly not as much hatred as the rednecks seem to put into the word “liberal!” (Or, “lib’rul,” as it’s usually pronounced by them.)

Odd how much more hateful these things seem when you are on the receiving end isn't it?

And just because it is not as hateful as X, does that somehow mitigate the issue?

You seem ti insist on justifying behavior of your team no matter how vile and disgusting. It is part of the problem.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And also just for good measure you throw in the hateful derisive term redneck.

I love the way the party of tolerance will only tolerate those in lock step with them. Hate is fine just so it is the right people hated.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
You’re acting as if the “rednecks” of the world were poor picked on victims. Believe me, over the last 50-60 years, they earned any hatred pointed their way.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Don't you have the ability to sense irony Ed? I can't believe you just wrote that.

Why is it you can't manage to comprehend that it is EXACTLY that sort of justification that fuels ALL HATE GROUPS! Those who are hated "deserve" it in some way.

Ed come on you are better than this. Please tell me you were making a joke. Isn't it better if NOBODY is picked on and derided? Or is it ok with you if it is people you don't like personally?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Earned hatred...wow we've gotten into heated waters. What's fueling the fire on this?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Don't you have the ability to sense irony Ed? I can't believe you just wrote that.

Why is it you can't manage to comprehend that it is EXACTLY that sort of justification that fuels ALL HATE GROUPS! Those who are hated "deserve" it in some way.

Ed come on you are better than this. Please tell me you were making a joke. Isn't it better if NOBODY is picked on and derided? Or is it ok with you if it is people you don't like personally?

I think people who have worked to deprive others of their civil rights deserve hatred and derision.
I think people who bombed churches deserve hatred and derision.
I think people who dragged civil rights workers out of diners and beat them up deserve hatred and derision.
I think people who burned crosses on other people’s lawns deserve hatred and derision.
I think people who killed four civil rights workers and hid their bodies and the car they were killed in deserve hatred and derision.

The question is; why don’t you?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Because when you answer hate with hate all you get is MORE HATE.

Did Dr. Martin Luther King HATE those who were against him?

Show me where hate triumphing has ever been a good thing for history Ed.

If you are somehow telling me that I am less of a person because I won't answer hate with hate, and I show hypocrisy like yours EVERY time I see it them I am in great company including the above mentioned giant of history. Thank you for putting me in that category.

The question is why WOULD you? Go ahead answer for me.

And while your at it Ed, read this carefully and make some excuse for your team.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/06/d......-charen/
http://russp.us/racism.htm

Just some facts you might want to try to digest.

Seems it was DEMOCRATS who wanted to deprive others of civil rights. Hmmm do you hate them Ed?
Hmmm want to see who dragged whom out of diners Ed?
Who were the cross burners Ed?

I suggest reading history as it was instead of settling for being brainwashed.

Now please explain why your personal brand of hatred is any more healthy than another please.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Again » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..28~29~30~31~32~33~34 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL