The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Great Openers? (Non-card) (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dizaster
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dizaster
Hello All! I'm looking for a great opener for close-up and walk-around. Here are my criteria:

1. Non-cards (too many laymen have preconceived notions about card tricks, so I save them for second or later).

2. Some Magic must happen quickly (say, within a minute).

3. Easy to carry; no table preferably.

Please provide specific suggestions, with source for learning if possible.

Thanks for your help!
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
I have used Dr. Sacks Dice trick as a strong opener on occasions.
scotchrocket
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
120 Posts

Profile of scotchrocket
Matt Furman (posts here and is on YouTube) sometimes opens with a really quick/flashy $1s-to-$100s and then puts the 100's up "as a bet" and uses that patter as a segué for his second trick (a card trick, fittingly).

I think that's a spectacular cold opener for all the reasons you said (cold, fast, not cards) plus he's approaching them flashing cash in-hand and then puts it up as a no-risk bet... I mean who wouldn't take a risk-free chance to win $500?
All about borrowed coins.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Extreme Burn (I either use lottery tickets into money or hand drawn notes into money)
or Chop Cup if you have a table

I used to open with Sponge Bunnies but I now prefer that as a middle trick once they're impressed and a little more relaxed. I also used to open with Crazy Mans Handcuffs but I never found that to be a particulary strong opener and isn't great for visibility if performing for larger groups/tables
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Zombie Spoon. I borrow a napkin and a spoon and make it float. sometimes (depending on where they are in the meal usually at the end) I'll do my fire wallet routine where I sneak in the line "money burns a hole in my pocket but who cares when it comes to great food".
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Openers require acceptance from spectators. After introducing myself, I offer to give them something. I state that I won't take up their time and will only be there for a few seconds. This puts them at ease and peaks curiosity. I take a plain piece of paper out
of my Mullica Wallet, the size of a bank note, and change it into a million dollar bill. I give it to them. Depending on their reactions and personalities I continue. Opening with an effect that is more involved or requires invading their personal space, I avoid.
Again it depends on personalities . If the people are fun and enthusiastic, then almost anything goes. If they are more reserved I handle them accordingly. A friendly respectful demeanor is a must for people to allow you into their personal space.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Bill change of some sort is always good ($100 bill change, mismade bill, paper to bill, monopoly money to real, extreme burn, etc.)

A $5:$1 Bill transposition is another quick & table-free one that works well - and there's a variety of versions/methods to choose from (e.g. Slow Motion Bill Transposition)

A version of the Free Will plot/effect (my favorite comes from Paul Vigil's newest book, but there are many great versions). Similarly, Bill Abbott's Determined Choice is also great, but likely needs table space.

A version of Positive/Negative always lives in my wallet (my favorite is one from Eugene Burger - can't recall the source offhand, but Scott Guinn has one called Positive Increases using only a single business card that's great)

Mindreading involving a single billet peek or similar can also potentially be a great opener.

A simple PATEO force can work wonders in the right set.

Pretty much any quick coin routine (e.g. a version of Copper/Silver/Brass such as Doc Eason's, Shanghai Coins, etc.) or a simple vanish, maybe followed with Ammar's Little hand as a pseudo explanation.

Also, although this breaks the "no cards" rule - there are plenty of tricks involving cards but not as spectators are used to, and those can work very well also. Examples may be some packet tricks using cards with objects or pictures on them, Stand Up Monte, etc. I have found personally that these tend to break that card stigma as they aren't really viewed as a "deck of cards."

I have found a thumb tip can be very versatile and lead to many quick openers (e.g. Salt Game by Losander, Saline Solution from David Williams, McBride's Rainbow Streamer to Money/gift, vanishing silk, etc.)

Of course, don't forget there is plenty of situational/off the cuff material that could be suitable in the right situation (Gregory WIlson has On the Spot and Off the Cuff that could have some good potential material to look at).

Much of what you choose just depends on the initial condition of the spectators - are you starting cold, warm, or hot? Depending on each case, you may need to tailor which opener you use to generate and/or keep their interest.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I opened with Extreme burn for years but I'm now using JJ's Coin Coalition.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Https://youtu.be/Su7E7RhwrOQ

I USE THIS AS AN OPENER
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
A coin flurry with jumbo coin finale
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2018, dizaster wrote:
Hello All! I'm looking for a great opener for close-up and walk-around. Here are my criteria:

1. Non-cards (too many laymen have preconceived notions about card tricks, so I save them for second or later).

Thanks for your help!

What have you come up with yourself so far?
There are lots of great ideas but... seriously... you must have some of your own thoughts?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
I usually perform this standing up - as Warren mentioned, JJ's Coin Coalition is a great opener

https://youtu.be/o7GEnrA3LYc
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
You already have the greatest opener and you don't even realize it!

You used it when you started this thread...

You said "Hello All"...

Dead serious, that's it! That is the greatest opener you can ever use. It's never about the tricks. It all about the relationship. Ask questions... Be interested in your spectators... Act towards them as you would act around your best friends or family.

Then, do whatever trick you feel like doing. It literally does not matter what trick you do at that point because they will like you and if they like you,they will like anything you do.

Stop looking for new tricks, use what you've already got.
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2018, cbguy wrote:
You already have the greatest opener and you don't even realize it!

You used it when you started this thread...

You said "Hello All"...

Dead serious, that's it! That is the greatest opener you can ever use. It's never about the tricks. It all about the relationship. Ask questions... Be interested in your spectators... Act towards them as you would act around your best friends or family.

Then, do whatever trick you feel like doing. It literally does not matter what trick you do at that point because they will like you and if they like you,they will like anything you do.

Stop looking for new tricks, use what you've already got.

It is important to create the rapport with your audience because if they like you, theyll like what you do but you still need establish yourself as a magician. The rule of thumb that I use choosing an opener is an effect that is quick, visual and establishes you as a professional.
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
THERE ARE TWO ROUTINES ON THIS CLIP. tHE COPPER/SILVER IS A GREAT OPENER. https://youtu.be/sbGWKc6V2vM
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If it must be walk-around, my favorite is still the walk-around silk to egg. It resets for the next table.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2018, dizaster wrote:

Thanks for your help!

As expected, the OP makes demands for material from others with no thoughts of their own.
I really don't like contributing on this type of threat with any details whatsoever unless there is some evidence the
original poster has put at least SOME thought into it.

So far..... nothing.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Nikita
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of Nikita
I personally always use fire wallet in walkaround gig for about 5 years. With the strong advice from David Stone)
It's non cards, it's really quick AND big (it catches everybody around). But not easy to carry because of lighter fluid..
I would love to use it for everyday moments, but the lighter fluid is the only con.
I think the fire from wallet is as magic stuff as a coin in the air (levitation) or clear deck of cards (omnideck). Some kind of "impossible object".
Also it gives opportunities to take then something from the wallet (coin, prediction, playing card, paper bill, credit card) and go straight to the set.
I personally do the bill to credit card then. And so always get "WTF" moment after which I can show everything I want - everybody is hooked up)
dizaster
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dizaster
Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm leaning toward something with coins or bills. Everyone carries those items, and they don't scream "Magic Props!" Smile
Randy
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
261 Posts

Profile of Randy
The Locker by Troy Hooser
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Great Openers? (Non-card) (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL