The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » This Makes Me Squirm (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
Someday magicians will all realize theres more to magic then just fooling someone or a secret.
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
"I then got a call from this guy saying that he took over my job and my service would not be needed any longer. So I started working another place."

So.. the magician calls you to "fire you"?

I don't know where to begin with that situation!!
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2014, bishthemagish wrote:
I remember working in a place and a magician handed me his business card before I started to perform. He said without seeing my act that he had been doing magic for so and so years and there was little chance of me fooling him. I politely made my exit.

Unknown to me at the time he also gave his business card to my restaurant manager. This turned into an issue later on as in a few weeks I was taking off for a month to do shows. Well my restaurant manager called up this guy (trying to save some money) and as I suspected - the guy was awful. He had no idea how to talk to families and entertain. His magic was very basic and included plastic magic that you could buy in any magic shop.

I then got a call from this guy saying that he took over my job and my service would not be needed any longer. So I started working another place.

Later on I got a call from the first restaurant manager and he wanted me back, however I was well into another place by that time.

I would have taken that as a challenge and try to fool him anyway. By your description you could probably do it.
Reality is a real killjoy.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
This has happened to me a couple times, but from the other side (I was table-hopping and the table I performed for had a magician in the group).

The first time it happened the magician was very kind and asked for my business card, then gave me his. So he turned it into a sort of networking thing and thanked me for my performance. He was polite not to critique me in front of his friends which I appreciated and the group seemed to enjoy the magic.

The next time it happened with another group however the magician was not exactly the kindest. He made it obvious about 30 seconds in that he was a magician and just said things like "wow your pass sounds great" and other kind of rude comments like that. I soon ended my performance, thanked them for their time and moved on.

Moral of the story is, both times they told me they too were a magician, but it all came down to the level of politeness and respect which made or broke it for me.

The best advice I can give is just be real with them, yet maintain a polite and professional approach. "Hey man that was pretty good! Always nice to see a fellow magician out in the field. My name is Michael, nice to meet you! Do you have a card? Here is mine! Thank you so much for the entertainment!" .... or something to this effect.

Even if they are awful, it is not your place to critique them unless they ask for it. Anyways.... hope this helps at least a bit!
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
Matthew [7:12]
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Just be polite and applaud where appropriate. As others have mentioned, it's like watching a performance at a convention. I wouldn't tell the performer that I was not interested in watching. I remember watching a children's entertainer a few years ago at a prestigious private school I used to work for. It was in the Caféteria and the magician did a nice job for the students. Just for kicks, I asked her afterwards about the Change Bag she used and where she bought it. She just smile and told me the name of the shop.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I took my lady to a seafood spot I found out a few magicians were working at. The magician was actually great, loved his work, I felt sorry for him though performing for my girlfriend mostly. He dealt well with it though performing for the magician's critical girlfriend.
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
A magician in the group you are working for? Talk to him/her. You can bring in the group on a discussion of what kind of magic they like to see. I have quite enjoyed these interactions. Usually it is someone who knows a few card tricks. In the event they really do know what you are performing, they are then bound by the "Magicians Code".

Richard
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am confused by this whole thing. Why would you have a "critical girlfriend"? Just watch and be polite. Simple. If you don't enjoy magic or if you are just too good to see a performance of another for a few minutes politely decline. It is simple.

Just remember that there was a point in your career when perhaps you may have been on the other side of the equation. How would you have wanted someone to treat you? Or if you have a person you are performing for where you still are boring to them how do you want to be treated? Everyone at every level deserves respect.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
I was doing a gig this past new years eve and while doing coins across before I start out by handing out the coins for examination( I do the version with just 4 coins) and then one of the guys was an old magician who was behind everyone else and thankfully no one else saw but he proceeded to to a vanish of a coin then tried to openly and poorly sl**ve and dropped the coin and was Like dang I was trying to sl**ve it. So I quietly said to him " Oh look we have another fantastic magician here too." I said that to sort of let him know I recognized he apparently knew some magic or was a magician. I did that hoping he wouldn't say anything revealing and not be a heckler but when I started he said,"Look he p**med one right there!"( I just want to say it wasn't my technique that was bad, But that he defiantly knew a little about magic) I gave him a confused looked and then proceeded to go into a different method which fooled him so he didn't say anything for the rest of the trick and left because he was fooled. All I was thinking about was that wow that was quite a sticky situation and I'm glad I have multiple methods for the same tricks!
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
This has not happened to me that often. However, the few times it has happened I said something like this: "Hey, I love magic. I was a friend of Jerry Andrus. Did you ever see Jerry perform?" Every time I said this the magician asked me if I was into magic. I always said, yes, but that I would love to see any of his magic. And, then, I just tried to enjoy the performance. So far, it has worked out just fine.

Jay
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
I went to see a performance at the Magic Circle, and a close up performer came to our table. She asked if there were any budding magicians, so obviously my family pointed to me.
Then during her ambitious card routine, she got me to make the magical gestures to make the card rise.

Now, it's not like I would have disrupted the trick anyway, but I can see this avoiding any potential pesky "magicians" from pointing out moves etc.
Why would they ruin the trick when they are getting the limelight in it?

Just something to bear in mind when working...
samaroo
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of samaroo
David, that might be the best tip in this whole thread!
Hydrostevo
View Profile
New user
Stamford, England
56 Posts

Profile of Hydrostevo
I always keep quiet whilst they are doing their set and clap and smile even if they are not the greatest. We have all been the other side of the table and having to handle a smart arse or a showoff just distracts from the entertainment we are trying to give.
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
I was called to a table with several youngsters and dazzled the kids with penny to dime, the gozinta box, and the ring & spring. When the ring & spring came out, Grandpa's eyes started to twinkle. ...so after my routine, I told the kids that I thought their Grandpa might be magical too and handed him the ring & spring. Grandpa was delighted to be able to do the magic for his grandchildren.

Later he grabbed me, told me that the ring & spring was in his first magic kit and slapped a $20 into my hand.

My favorite experiences were with amateur magician's and wiseguys making them heroes or making them fools (in a friendly way).
AAAL
View Profile
Regular user
Venezuela
112 Posts

Profile of AAAL
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2015, griz326 wrote:
I was called to a table with several youngsters and dazzled the kids with penny to dime, the gozinta box, and the ring & spring. When the ring & spring came out, Grandpa's eyes started to twinkle. ...so after my routine, I told the kids that I thought their Grandpa might be magical too and handed him the ring & spring. Grandpa was delighted to be able to do the magic for his grandchildren.

Later he grabbed me, told me that the ring & spring was in his first magic kit and slapped a $20 into my hand.

My favorite experiences were with amateur magician's and wiseguys making them heroes or making them fools (in a friendly way).

Congratulations, that's a great story. you absolutely took that opportunityand made the best of it
AAAL
View Profile
Regular user
Venezuela
112 Posts

Profile of AAAL
I think sometimes magicians forget that magic is about entertainment but more importantly is about people, fooling them is just a part of the entertainment, not all of it. I love watching other magicians perform and give them my honest feedback after they're done, most of the time I won't be fooled, but if the guy (or gal) can make me enjoy and have a good time, then it's great and I can make a new friend with whom exchange ideas or just talk about magic. that's the way I see it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » This Makes Me Squirm (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL