The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Frequency question - please help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I'm new to this audio stuff, but I have just purchased a Fender Passport PD 150, and I love it! I would like to get a wireless mic for it, but as I look at different mics, I keep seeing that I need to specify what frequency I want to use it on. I don't know what this means. Does my Passport only work on a certain frequency, or is there a certain range? What do people mean when they list the different frequencies, and how do I know which one to get? Thanks!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Hello,

You don't have to worry about which frequency you get. That's mainly if you have multiple wireless mic systems and you are trying to avoid interference between two mics. You would then specify a different frequency for your second mic.

Some wireless systems have multiple frequencies so that you can change them in the event of interference.

Michael
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Jkvand,

PM me your email address and I will send you a .pdf article of mine on "Purchasing a Wireless System" which addresses this question and much much more.

Michael
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Frequency choice IS actually an issue.
The Passport uses a VHF band without digital subclasses.
It works great However the frequencies used are also in use by Weather radio, some TV channels, and other applications that change from town to town.

http://www.shure.com/scripts/freq_app/de......em=PGVHF

Refer to this frequency chart to make sure that your main city of business does not have a major transmitter in your chosen frequency.
I once bought a mic and was plagued by the NOAA emergency severe storm warnings in the middle of a show.

You will be very happy with the Passport wireless module. It is strong and clear.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Jkvand,
Further to Glod's suggestion to check the Shure Web site, the following Passport systems may experience interference from local Pittsburgh TV stations;
(004) Channel 07 = 174.8mHz
(005) Channel 11 = 202.4mHz

The following Passport systems will not experience interference from local Pittsburgh TV stations;
(001) Travel "A" = 169.505mHz
(002) Travel "B" = 171.905mHz
(006) Channel 12 = 206.4mHz
(007) Channel 10 = 195.4mHz
(008) Channel 13 = 208.2mHz

Choosing a system from the second list is your best bet with a Fender Passport wireless in the city of Pitssburgh. There's no guarrantee that you won't experience interference from sources other than TV.
Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

It's funny. I thought about mentioning possible interference with television stations but, since I had never experienced trouble with the four wireless systems I owned, I didn't think it was too common. Obviously, that's a mistake. Apparently, I've been pretty lucky!

Michael
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Yup, lucky's the word :o) It's a common problem on larger systems like we tour with on musicals (we're running 28 on "The Full Monty"), but hits even shows with one mic (just the odds are more in your favor, since you're travelling a smaller area typically, and only using one mic, as opposed to going all over the country with 30 spread throughout a good 200+ mHz range).

It's getting worse and worse as more and more digital tv stations come online; not only does this mean more stations on the air, since stations are broadcasting both digital and analog, but it also causes trouble because there are spaces within an analog tv channel that you can usually get away with running a mic in that don't exist in digital because of the way the signal is distributed over the channel's bandwidth.

The effect can vary from static, distortion, and loud popping sounds to bringing up a mic and hearing a Spanish soap opera (yes, it's happened :o)

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Actually, I did have one strange occurrence about 15 years ago. I was setting up my show and my assistant complained that I should change the radio station that was playing (it was a country music station,)except I didn't have a radio turned on!

I asked her what she was talking about and found that I was picking up a radio station through the PA system. After checking my mixer/amp, I determined that one of the patch cables was acting like an antenna. When I shortened the cable (by folding it up a little,) the music stopped.

If I remember correctly, the guys at the music store recommended that I get a grounded cable. Haven't had that problem since.

(On the other hand, I did have an electric guitar using a wireless system on the same frequency as my lavalier system at a festival once!)

Michael
RKappe
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of RKappe
I would recommend purchasing a multi frequency system. I do a lot of fairs and interference can be a problem. I use a
samson 32 channel UHF. This has been a real great investment. It is less prone to occult disruptions than other mics. The VHF frequencies are susceptible to a lot, not just other users. I was in Las Vegas last year at a trade show and my Mini Vox was receiving someone across the show floor. Fortunately the unit has two selectable channels. Whatever you decide don't be cheap about it. I tried that route and spent more in the long run. Good luck.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
When I bought my little Mipro--which is all of 7 lbs and smaller than a boom box--it came with a built in radio receiver and microphone. The guy I bought it from asked me where I lived (Los Angeles) so that he could tune the radio mike to the correct frequency. He said they based it on your location because different areas of the coutry apparently use different frequences for tv, radio, etc. Anyway, I've never had any problem with it. Works like a charm. It is VHF not UHF.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Majiloon
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Majiloon
Hello, again, I thought I would chime in…(I am on the computer writing again—or still)

VHF stands for Very High Frequency, usually associated with older outdated or cheap systems with limited range. Limited because it could interfere with the myriad of other devices that are prevalent in that range, (cordless phones, and the other items that were already mentioned). These ranges of frequency only go up to about 200mhz.

These systems can interfere with others because they are susceptible to multipathing—meaning that the signal could ‘bounce’ into an other arena in the same region (facility)-

For example - a 178 mhz VHF unit can bounce-by-multipath into a UHF system close by, fixed at (double) 356 ish Mhz. This would be noticeable on other UHF unit with occasional drop outs in their receiver/signal, (unless the UHF is a ‘True’ diversity) (that's TRUE diversity- not Daul diversity)

This would be a lot worse if the FCC did not regulate the manufacturers frequencies and require strict 1/4 wave antennas. However some unscrupulous manufactures cheat on this (VHF primarily)

Therefore I would stay away from VHF –cheaper units. Shure and other top selling manufacturers make receivers that can be selectable- then you can get almost any transmitter to work with it. Stick with true Diversity UHF (Ultra High Frequencies, usually anything above 200 Mhz)- at frequencies above 802 mHz, and you will be safe from the multipathing of other units that are overpopulated at the 178-200 mhz ranges.

There, that’s my advice, and it’s free, it’s probably also worth every penny! I oversimplified - but you get the idea, it's late I hope I made sence,

Nice to see you Michael!
Cheers,
No longer taking Private messages , thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Frequency question - please help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL