The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Silk to Balloon Gospel Routine idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I have been reading through the excellent paperback book "Christ for Real" by Charles W. Price (157 pages, 2011, Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids, Michigan) available from www.CBD.com and other sources. The book covers a lot of territory under the subheading "How to Grow into God's Likeness". Very helpful.

Yesterday, when I was speaking at the Kalamazoo Gospel Mission, I talked about some the Biblical ideas taken from the above referenced book from Chapter 2 entitled "Good for Nothing" including using a "magic" light bulb that did not light on its own, but then lit up when I placed into the "socket" which was stuck to the cover of my Bible (see pages 26-27 and page 33-34 from the above book). "An electric light bulb that has been separated from its source of power retains the capacity to shine and give light, but it has become devoid of that capability and can no more produce the light it was supposed to transmit than a turnip could! This is the story of every human being living in separation from God."

Another idea is below (in a short thumbnail overview) that I will be using soon with the Sunday School kids to convey this same lesson (see Chapter 2 again) of the Christian's target being of Christ living in us and/our reflecting His image vs. our acting through our own tough sledding in struggling and striving to do the "right" in our own strength.

"Paul speaks of the Gospel as "Christ in you, the hope of glory" (Col. 1:27) and "We, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit" (2 Cor. 3:18).

"Silk to Balloon" came to mind to illustrate the above verses. Silk to Balloon is widely available in various formats and is published in many beginner magic books. It is also seen (and exposed) on www.youtube.com www.SilkMagicTricks.com carries the trick on its website for $14.95. You would also need two 6 inch "Jesus" silks also available from www.SilkMagicTricks.com

What I intend to do is talk about how striving to serve Jesus in our own power does not work (see the "Christ for Real" book for a full discussion on this point) and is basically hopeless--- like trying to build a snowman in the middle of the summer on a hot beach. (Jesus silk vanishes from fist via a thumb tip).

So what is the "secret" of being a Christian? "...man has been created in such a way that his ability to be what a man is intended to be is the presence of God within him and the power of God released through him." "Therefore is apart from God we can do nothing, the presence and working of God makes something inevitable, "For nothing is impossible with God" (Luke 1:37).

Then see also Chapter 7 of the book: "The Spirit Within You"- a part of which is to bring glory to Christ.

It is the Spirit's task when living WITHIN US to "reveal Christ (1 Cor. 12:3), to remind us of everything Christ has said (John 14:26), to testify about Christ (John 15:26), to bring glory to Christ (John 16;14) and to take which is Christ's and make it known to us (John 16:15)" (from page 95 of the book "Christ for Real").

After talking about the above and displaying the empty balloon, have the Jesus silk appear in the balloon, and performer can pop the balloon then to fully reveal the silk.

I have not fleshed out the entire exact lesson for the kids yet and making it as simple as possible for the kids to understand the above basic Biblical principles of reflecting Christ and having His Spirit inside us, but I think this silk to balloon illustration will be very do-able/practical. I'm looking forward to trying it out next month. Smile
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
P.S.: Also may be a good idea to use a marker and draw a "stick man" figure on the outside of the balloon as well.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Is ryotas the best silk in balloon, or is there one better, anyone ever used the silk vanish wand for silk in balloon, magicwalsh@gmail.com
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
I"m back - wifes doing bettter(broke her femur 3 months go- permintly on walker) -sent me back to work(only available computor)- prayers for both of us appreciated-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Silk to Balloon Gospel Routine idea (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL