The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Dry Humor! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Codex Reader
View Profile
New user
TX
69 Posts

Profile of Codex Reader
Raising your voice (louder) helps offset a person's natural dry delivery. I have a very dry delivery and found that once I raise my voice and animate more it takes over and I go with it. You will certainly see a difference from the audience. Making bigger movement with your hands will also help.

I don't think we should get rid of what is natural for us but rather try to make it more "alive."
mforteath
View Profile
New user
Tasmania, Australia
62 Posts

Profile of mforteath
I like dry humor. The English have a very dry humor which is great. I find their comedy shows are much more clever and funnier than American ones. No offense intended though! I think that if you can deliver dry humor naturally and well, then go for it! Mark.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3140 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I love humor in magic. I have to be careful, and I always try to get a feel for my audience. Sometimes I alter routines because the audience responds certain ways. For the most part, my act contains dry humor. I find that when I try too hard, then nothing is funny. Relax and "let it come natural" is the key for me.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
There seems to be some difference of opinion as to what constitutes "dry" humor. Abbott and Costello? Funny, yes. Dry, no.

Dry also should not be confused with dull. Timing and delivery always matter a great deal.

A potential danger with subtle humor (often equated with dry humor) is the dead silence that can happen while they think about it. I try to avoid doing subtle humor on Saturday nights as it can lead to laughing in church.

And to close out this disjointed post, a line that I actually use.
"That's all right. I don't expect laughter. An occasional nod of comprehension will suffice."

Sid Mayer
Author of How To Make Friends And Other People
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Dry humor can be REALLY REALLY funny! However, I've seen some magicians that are so scared that they're not funny that they end up being a little TOO dry. Kind of hiding behind the dryness.

Just something to keep in mind. There's nothing funnier that a good dry comedian, but there's nothing worse than a bad dry magician! (IMHO)

Just some food for thought, and no harm whatsoever intended!

Josh
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8689 Posts

Profile of harris
This is Long!

My nearly normal humor is a mix between sight gags, making the audience remember (collective laughs) and topical things like references to National or Local Comercials.

Over the last few years I have done more self revelation on my fears both from the past childhood and current ones.

Shared foibils (don't have spell check here)
can be fun.

Along with my Regular Nearly Normal Programs I also do Laughology Programs which are becoming more like Monologues with Props.

I have shared these at Mental Health Facilities (both for clients and staff in-services) and D.O.C. (Department of Corrections)

I used to want to do the Comedy Club circuit,
but these days I like Non Smoking environments.

For my Nearly Normal Kid Programs I do more
Slapstick type stuff. I do tell the kids (and to the adults in the back of the room)
that it is ok to laugh at me, I am a professional. We talk about importance of supporting rather than laughing at their classmates verbal or physical falls.

I also tell them that when I was in school I was always afraid to be laughed at and made fun of. These days I tell them I am afraid that people won't laugh.

Life is very STRANGE.

Thanks for all your sharing.

You are appreciated by,

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20498 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dry humor fits. He is so dull that when he went to vote they gave him an absentee ballot.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I'm surprised no one mentioned of the kings of dry comedy, Steven Wright. He takes dry humor to a new level.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
One of the great dry humorists of all time isn't even thought of as a dry comic: Bob Hope.

A blank stare, a pause, and he could bring down the house.

But remember that dry humor is EXTREMELY difficult to do well.
Smile <--NOT dry humor!

cheers,
Peter Marucci
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
Of all of the comedians of the past Jack Benny was a master with dry humour. His timing was excellent. He also used the long stares sideways.
When I use dry humour, I seem to remove my glasses and stare at the audience. It almost says that I don't believe I just said that! You have to know your audience before you can use dry humour successfully. It's not for all.
Darryl the Wizard Smile Smile Smile Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's very important that you do something that is unmistakably funny at the very beginning of your show, if you are doing a comedy act. Otherwise, the audience won't know that you are funny.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20498 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bill,

I know this is an old thread but I'm an old guy. I enjoy reading "aged" learning again.

You are dead right!

I blew a comedy routine in an Atlanta hotel a few years back for this specific reason. It was indeed a comedy routine. Instead of producing glasses of wine it was V-8 juice in the can! But I had an elegant start that really made the audience afraid to join in the fun until the routine was nearly over.

Of course the week before I broke a rib in rehearsal in a stunt fall for a different comedy routine. That would had this problem covered.

Thanks for the instruction!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of The Mac
British have a natural dry humour. I find Hugh Grant very funny with his lines . (Hugh Grant the actor, who's assistant is divine brown Smile
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Bob Newhart scored two back-to-back #1 hits on the pop charts with his best-selling albums The Button-Down Mind Of Bob Newhart (which also won a Grammy) and The Button-Down Mind Strikes Back!.

Check them out. Funny, dry wit. A few out dated jokes but still a great albuma and the start of a comedy album craze.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
The Newhart Albums, espically "Button Down Mind" are classic and should definatley be studied if you are into dry/deadpan humor. The Driving Instructor, Abe Lincoln with his PR man, the USS Codfish bit, Abner Doubleday explaining baseball to the board game company are all hilarious. PBS has dedicated an episode of their "American Masters" series to Bob that will air in July, 2005.

Vandy

From the "Driving Instructor"-

Now that was a wonderful turn ... one little thing. Uh, this is a one-way street. Well, now, now, it was partially my fault. You were in the left-hand lane, and you were signaling left, and I more or less assumed you were going to turn left ... oh, now we hit someone, Mrs. Webb. Remember you were going to watch the rear view mirror? The red light blinded you? The flashing red light blinded you? The flashing red light - on the car you hit blinded you? Yes officer, she was just telling me about it ...
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Dry Humor! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL