The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Editing Music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
What software do you use to edit songs in your show?
From the Encouraging Magic of...

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1816 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I use Logic Pro X, Tony. But Audacity is a much cheaper alternative (in fact, it’s free):

http://www.audacityteam.org
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I periodically use audacity. About once every couple of years. I’m needing to edit some things again, but protections on music changes and I have to relearn how to get digitally purchased music in the mp3 version. Any suggestions on how to get the music to mp3 so I can use them in audacity?

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1816 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Load your songs into iTunes, then you can convert the tracks to mp3.

https://www.apple.com/itunes/
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Thank you Arthur. So, I dove deeper into this issue today and solved my problem. Of course, in a few years I’ll have to solve the problem again. But this might help others...

So, iTunes updates the protections on its music regularly. Some of the protections are called DRM -Digital Rights Management. There is a feature, as Arthur alluded to, that allows you to convert song formats. I have done this in the past. But, lately all the songs I have been trying to convert are “protected”. Which keeps this feature from working. So, I bought a $40 piece of software that is designed to convert songs and strip the DRM protections. There are a number of these on the market, so I just picked one. I used it several times today, and found it easy and fast. So, I like it. It is called Noteburner.com.

So, with this and audacity, you should be able to convert and edit most songs purchased on iTunes. Can’t promise the same methods will work in a few years, but I hope this helps.

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1816 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Something to keep in mind is that commercially bought music is copyrighted. I always advocate using royalty-free music, because there are certain venues where you need a license to perform to copyrighted songs. And if you ever get booked to appear on TV and don’t have permission to use a particular song, they won’t let you perform to it. There have been some horror stories of entertainers who were booked on a TV show, and had to substitute an unfamiliar piece of music at the last minute. All their timings were thrown off because none of the musical “hits” and highlights coincided with their onstage actions, and consequently their entire act fell flat.

I’m just posting this to be helpful. I have no desire to get into a discussion on copyright law, and I am NOT the copyright police. But I’ve had friends who faced heavy fines for using copyrighted music without a license in public venues. I’d hate for that to happen to anyone else.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
DeeGood
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of DeeGood
I love Logic Pro X
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
780 Posts

Profile of Rook
I agree that royalty free music is safest (and what I use in my show, with the exception of my theme, which was composed for me). For converting files from one format to the other, however, I'm a huge fan of Format Factory.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Adam Meier
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Adam Meier
I use GarageBand. It take some time to master, but when you do it has lost of nice features.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2220 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I use Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer. Easy to use.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2262 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I grew up learning to edit music on Reel to Reel tape and for many years, edited the music for most of the magicians in the Hollywood area (and many that passed through as well!). Once everything went digital, I started using Sound Forge for modifying the original wave files then I've been cutting on Vegas for over a decade. It's more expensive but a very robust platform I'm just more used to now.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Editing Music (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL