The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What sleights have you been falsely accused of? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1246 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I rarely hear a spectator blurt out "he palmed a card"; but it has indeed happened to me ... when I didn't palm a card! Any other experiences out there? I mean this as a fun topic, but to also find out how spectators make the most wrong assumptions. Also, how do you respond? Lynn
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2378 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Anytime someone says, "man, you're good!" (and it doesn't happen often), that's definitely a false accusation. I respond by yelling right in his face, "you're an idiot!" and storm off.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2853 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Once while I was doing an ace assembly a young woman said, "i saw that." She said it to her friend like she witnessed something mystical. I don't know what she saw or thought she saw, but I smiled while looking at her with my pointer finger to my mouth in a shush gesture and she took to mean and was between her and me. so she stayed quiet.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1246 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2018, Steven Keyl wrote:
Anytime someone says, "man, you're good!" (and it doesn't happen often), that's definitely a false accusation. I respond by yelling right in his face, "you're an idiot!" and storm off.

Could have been me! Lynn
Chollet
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Chollet
Not a sleight, but the ”oh, it’s probably a trick Deck” comment sometimes (when it isn’t).
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5030 Posts

Profile of pepka
Whenever I encounter a spectator that is a little smart, might know terms like palm or something I love to have fun by faking sleights. I often fumble with a single card, like I'm turning over a double...and then when I turn over a double, I'll throw in Paul Harris' Instant Replay move....but with a double. Sometimes after 1 or 2 tricks and I set the deck down to get another prop, coins or whatever a spectator will pick up the deck and flip through it...looking for marks or run their fingers along the side...looking for shaved cards. By now I've started something else and I just look at them..."What the Hell are you looking for?"
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
292 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
S “There is no such thing as magic.”
M ”That’s exactly what the aliens say, but I’m not so sure.”
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I would be very surprised if a layperson were to name a sleight, whether I used one or not. I haven’t had this experience.
Nikita
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Nikita
It happens sometime. When you get the audience which is very likely to catch you - they will, falsely of course)))
It's some kind of a bit drunk men saying "oh I saw it", "you're good!" and my favorite "oh yeah, man, yeh yeap" when you just stay and even don't move at all. It's hard for me to translate it in english.
And all of this situations I just put the card in the middle (for real) or just shuffle the cards (for real).
So it's better check all the choreography and don't make unnecessary movements if you want to make clear impressions with your magic.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1246 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2018, Ben Blau wrote:
I would be very surprised if a layperson were to name a sleight, whether I used one or not. I haven’t had this experience.

It's rare to have a slight named; but I have indeed been charged with 'palming', when I didn't. We're talking restaurant/cafe audience here; not on stage, where a spectator would make an ass of himself. I truly don't think spectators generally know of even the DL; but they have heard of 'trick decks'. Just wondering here! I really liked Pepka's post about faking a sleight. I've seen Glenn Morphew use fake sleights to great effect, even to the lay audience (eg purposely flashing). Lynn
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
304 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
I've been said that I could stack the cards during a table riffle-shuffle because of the perfect intertwining of the cards.

Unfortunately, I cannot do tabled faros ... yet !
So much to do, so little time . . .
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I think only magicians would know and name sleights or methods accurately during a performance. But usually, they are polite so they don’t tell anything. At one time, a pro magician did some tricks to my wife, during a corporate event. I was next to her, I spotted everything, especially an awful classic pass. Everything else was perfect. I didn’t say anything !
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1246 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Here's another example.... I performed the Olram subtelty trick to a table; and one of the fellows said I influenced his selection by "mental cues"! Lay people may not know the names of sleights, but they make suggestions sometimes wrongly as to how an effect happened! btw, like Rachmaninov, I'd never spoil another magician's act, period! Lynn
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2924 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I had a four year old say I held two cards together (Double lift). He was right. But he didn't actually see the sleight. It turned out his father felt compelled to show his kids how ambitious card was done after seeing me one week. (wow)

Another time I had a guy take my deck and begin running his fingers along the side. He was convinced I was using a stripper deck (I wasn't). He managed to get a card to follow his fingers somewhat and declared to the whole table that this is how the magic was done.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What sleights have you been falsely accused of? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL