The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are we ignoring Derren now? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
I've been away from the Café for some time and maybe things have changed but I'm really surprised that no one seems to have made even a passing remark about Derren Brown's "Push" into the American consciousness with his Netflix debut. Last I was around here, all of us bemoaned that DB was such a hit in the UK, so why had he failed to connect with American audiences? Well, here he is, finally, getting a big showing in the US
and throughout the world. And no reaction?

Personally, I think "The Push" is probably his most mean-spirited special. I really cringed for what he put the participants through. But the product was stellar, as usual. What a showman.
Takwah
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Takwah
Not american, but in Germany he isn't very famous I think.

Sadly where I live we do not get much coverage, and if so it's short lived and occupies non-major programme slots. Like ten o'clock on a workday.

Stations seem to favor, Keith Barry, David Blaine, Dynamo, Chris Angel over Derren Brown I think. One of the Best things about the Chris Angel airings was the mentalist advisor in the background. I don't have Netflix, so I last time I saw him on local TV may have been 10 years ago. Rarely they push a local mentalist for a single event show, but that's it. Before the 'Next Mentalist' show, people here had never heard of such things I believe, and no one knows Derren I think, but I could be wrong.
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
423 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
Actually, I like the fact that Derren is not known here in germany.

Regarding "The Push" - I also believe that they went a little too far, similar to "Apocalypse".
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
449 Posts

Profile of Axel
I just took a quick look at how it's presented on Netflix.
And in all honesty, if I didn't knew Derren and what he did I'm not sure I would be intrigued enough to watch it.
It think the trailer is too slow and too serious. I am afraid this might get lost in the noise of weekly releases on Netflix.
I love Derren and his work but don't think that this is the best way to introduce him to a new audience.
Also the first reviews a partly negative because people think the experiment is too dark. And that might be a problem as well. If one didn't "grow up" with Derren and does not know where he started, this might be a difficult show to get on the train.
Takwah
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Takwah
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2018, Alexxander wrote:

Regarding "The Push" - I also believe that they went a little too far, similar to "Apocalypse".

Why is that, I never understood the hate he gets. I like his stage persona, it creeps me out at times.

Quote:
On Mar 1, 2018, Axel wrote:
... If one didn't "grow up" with Derren and does not know where he started, this might be a difficult show to get on the train.

He started dancing I think.
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
710 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2018, Takwah wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2018, Alexxander wrote:

Why is that, I never understood the hate he gets. I like his stage persona, it creeps me out at times.

Quote:
On Mar 1, 2018, Axel wrote:
... If one didn't "grow up" with Derren and does not know where he started, this might be a difficult show to get on the train.

He started dancing I think.

"Hate"?
What hate?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I'm pretty sure he's got the sense to ignore the 'community'...
I've asked to be banned
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2616 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
A lot of people here have expressed vitriol for Derren Brown. Then again, there's vitriol for many successful performers. The magic scene reminds me very much of the punk scene - Performer's frequently lose a significant portion of their fan base when they become "successful".

I liked Pushed to the Edge when it came out originally. I am not sure if they edited it at all for a Netflix audience. Though Netflix certainly doesn't shirk away from darker material, I can't imagine they'd object too much to the original airing.

I believe the contract with Brown was three specials - two he's already filmed, and then a new one he just finished filming recently. I can't recall the other one that was already released, but I am certainly looking forward to something new from that team.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10482 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Derren who?
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1594 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2018, WitchDocChris wrote:
A lot of people here have expressed vitriol for Derren Brown. Then again, there's vitriol for many successful performers. The magic scene reminds me very much of the punk scene - Performer's frequently lose a significant portion of their fan base when they become "successful".

I liked Pushed to the Edge when it came out originally. I am not sure if they edited it at all for a Netflix audience. Though Netflix certainly doesn't shirk away from darker material, I can't imagine they'd object too much to the original airing.

I believe the contract with Brown was three specials - two he's already filmed, and then a new one he just finished filming recently. I can't recall the other one that was already released, but I am certainly looking forward to something new from that team.

I totally agree with you.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
My favourite was the one where he went to America and did the mediumistic and dream box thing...

Others got a bit too self-help ISH for me...
I've asked to be banned
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2546 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
First I need to get Netflix
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10482 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I always liked the first Darrin better myself. (Some of you won't get this, lol)
Takwah
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Takwah
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2018, ed wood wrote:

"Hate"?
What hate?

Long time ago when he was all the craze with his tv show and everybody of the general public loved him, I gained the impression that lots of performers didn't share that love. They made comments which at least to me seemed a bit envy driven. It wasn't here however and it was a long time ago.
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
449 Posts

Profile of Axel
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
So you join the Café and your first post is to pop in and tell us what we can and can not say?

Someone had to. Totaly worth the registration process...
Wendy Wylde
View Profile
New user
Aurora, Colorado
62 Posts

Profile of Wendy Wylde
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2018, Blackwood wrote:
Last I was around here, all of us bemoaned that DB was such a hit in the UK, so why had he failed to connect with American audiences?

Sad to say, judging from the Netflix reviews, "connected" does not seem to be how the American audience seems to feel towards him. *shrug*
If you have ghosts, you have everything....
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Much of the highest reviewed content on Netflix has a darker tone, so this seems fit in that flow

If American audiences don’t track with him, I think there is an explanation aside from Iain’s scorching America bash (#harsh), which is this:

We, the mentalism community and the British viewers, have had the opportunity to see Derren as he grows and changes as a personality. We forgive, when we might think he has overstepped, because he has a great impish grin and is charming. He is loved by many. Here, viewers are immediately asked to consider the darker, less cheeky (and less smiling) version of him. He may be wiser, but possibly not as friendly (I mean the screen persona). We think of him as a longstanding television personality, an exceptional stage performer and a creator and author with a distinct voice. They have to make an abbreviated decision: insightful, but menacing?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
And he wasn't some aging fat dude in a leather waistcoat and a mullet, huffing and puffing over a woman and doing a card trick, claiming to be psychic...
I've asked to be banned
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1028 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Derren Brown is awesome.

Mike
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Personally, I have been, and remain, a fan of Derren Brown for many years now.

Watched Push last night and while I enjoyed it a great deal, I did find myself feeling sorry for the unwitting participants. Especially the final three. The turmoil and anguish they experience is palpable and I can definitely see that putting some viewers off.

And then there's this: http://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/fi......20180302

Looking forward to the upcoming shows myself.

Best,

dc
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are we ignoring Derren now? (19 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL