The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are we ignoring Derren now? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Special user
Curtis The Mentalist
505 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
Mindpro, are you dreaming of Jeannie again? Smile Smile Smile
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
975 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
I always liked the first Darrin better myself. (Some of you won't get this, lol)

(Think I got it!) Must be "bewitched" to not like him?
Doc Ben Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of Waters.
I am a fan of the fantastic body of work of Derren and his team. It is truly amazing. The team and the work are both brilliant.

On the psychology of this program:
Anyone who has read Cialdini understands the imapact of a small act or concession. This program deftly illustrates a perfectly orchestrated “snow ball effect”, using the laws of persuasion. This show certainly lends credence to the reality of those principles. That was admittedly fascinating, but sad. In this way, “The Push” serves as an object lesson for the human condition.

Regarding the participants:
How does someone affected by the laws of persuasion, who ultimately betray their own values, view themselves in the future? Possibly, a bit more honestly. Cialdini mentions how one generous act can help shape someone to better view themselves as “generous people” . How does one horrid act change how someone views himself (or herself)? This seems a lot to ask to entertain and amuse. This is a heaping dose of reality, but I like to take my truth in spoonfuls I can swallow. That is hard enough already.

It’s like a bunch of people threw you a party to tell you how awful you are.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12587 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2018, IAIN wrote:
And he wasn't some aging fat dude in a leather waistcoat and a mullet, huffing and puffing over a woman and doing a card trick, claiming to be psychic...

O, you saw my show?
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2353 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2018, dcjames wrote:
Personally, I have been, and remain, a fan of Derren Brown for many years now.

Watched Push last night and while I enjoyed it a great deal, I did find myself feeling sorry for the unwitting participants. Especially the final three. The turmoil and anguish they experience is palpable and I can definitely see that putting some viewers off.

And then there's this: http://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/fi......20180302

Looking forward to the upcoming shows myself.

Best,

dc

Agreed on all points. Derren's theater performances are outstanding. The Push was quite an entertaining watch.
Business Card Q & A eBook & The Elvis Peek videos are $30 each and may be purchased by sending a PayPal to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com. Elvis Peek videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=715994&start=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtMqE98Rol8&ab_channel=NiqueTan
owenscott
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of owenscott
I never trust his shows are anything more than actors. But I laughed and laughed with this one. Was enjoyable ... Smile
MediocreMagician
View Profile
New user
Australia
35 Posts

Profile of MediocreMagician
First and foremost I will say that I am a huge fan of Derren Brown's body of work and have always enjoyed both his thinking and presentation. While I can see where those that don't enjoy him or disapprove of this show in particular, I myself thoroughly enjoyed it. Following the participant on his journey with Derren's explanations of the thinking behind it was interesting to watch play out. The fact you felt for the participants was very important in it though, if you didn't care about how they felt or what happened it would have been nowhere near as effective. To me it was a well-crafted special that had me glued to the screen to see how everything played out and I'm looking forward to the next ones.
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
For me the shine wore off when I paid a little more attention and I saw edits and actors
Maddies Ghost
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Maddies Ghost
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, Mr. Dural wrote:
For me the shine wore off when I paid a little more attention and I saw edits and actors

Actors? Obviously some people were actors possibly all except the mark,isnt that told at the start?
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
When I have enough of posts to access the inner thoughts . I'll post a list of curious and disappointing findings.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
740 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2018, Mr. Dural wrote:
When I have enough of posts to access the inner thoughts . I'll post a list of curious and disappointing findings.

Ooo intriguing. Hurry up please, now I'm curious
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of Djin
I wonder if he pays for therapy for his subjects. One has to wonder just how those people, particularly the ones that pushed, move on. PTSD is real, and knowing that you pushed a man to what you believed would be his death could be the sort of crisis of conscience that leaves a lasting trauma.

As much as I enjoy Brown's body of work, he does play with people in ways that may well leave them worse off than when they met him. I was half expecting to see one of them punch him when they realized that he'd played them like that.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2616 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
He generally claims to bring psychologists in on the projects to talk with everyone involved.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
qichi
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
123 Posts

Profile of qichi
Derren being on Netflix is massive for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the access to viewer data he'll have. The better he understands who his audience in the US is, the more accurately he'll be able to target them.

The best is ahead of Mr. Brown in the States, and we're all in for a treat when he gets there.

Though I do wonder who is helping him bridge the cultural divide between the US and UK? I'd love to be a gadfly on the wall in the room when that conversation comes up.
"There is no art: things are made for use." Antonin Artaud
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Surely one of his USP is his englishness?
I've asked to be banned
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
How come after all these years he hasn't made an impact in the US? Must it be a cultural thing? Usually the Americans love English movies etc.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2616 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I think it is cultural.

British Vs American humor, for example. I think a lot of Americans don't 'get' his joking all the time.

Another is that he has "attacked" religious concepts like faith healing. That doesn't necessarily fly in the US on general terms.

I also think Americans, on average, are less into cerebral entertainment. We like flashy, visual, or slapstick-y entertainment. If you're going to hypnotize someone instantly on stage, you have to make them dance like Beyonce afterward or how can we know they're actually hypnotized?

When I saw him in NYC it was a good show, and the audience definitely responded well to it. But I also wasn't really feeling the same kinds of responses I see in his recorded shows. Of course, I also don't know how typical the recorded show's responses are for his UK performances, either.

I think the Netflix shows could endear him to the US public a bit more, though, depending on what they are. I haven't heard anyone else talking about The Push other than a couple reactionist posts that totally missed the point of the show, though, and I can't remember what the other special that will be rebroadcast is. I'm looking forward to the new one, though.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I liked his early shows before he lost his nerve when journalists lined up to debunk him. When he was doing good mentalism. I never liked any of the stuff he morphed into. Or thought he was "funny" in any way. I saw him live once and it was a good show. But I think now like everybody else he is becoming dated. It happens to everyone eventually. Although I think he did amazingly well to last so long. He will be around for a while no doubt. But I don't think he will hit the highs of a few years ago. And I doubt he will create the excitement in the US that he did here or he would already have done so,
samzilla
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of samzilla
A friend told me about Derren Brown around '07 or '08. I recently had the opportunity to perform John Mahood's K.E.N.T. on that same friend, which I never would have if he hadn't told me about Derren Brown all those years ago.

I'm happy Derren Brown's finally getting exposure in North America.
Rhewin
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Rhewin
Fine be me. I used to get annoyed... he would debunk the spiritual while making people believe he could influence marketers to make a certain drawing through subliminal messages. Both were the same effects with a different premise, but he seemed happy to debunk one while encouraging belief in the other. I've since calmed down on such things. He is entertaining and gives the public mystery. I've also read his books and know he left things vague on purpose. The public have given him more power than he has, sometimes to his chagrin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are we ignoring Derren now? (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL