The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Michael Ammar's Cups & Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Speaking of cups and balls the old irland routine that is published by magic inc and uses sponge balls is very good. And the Jim Ryan routine that was published by Phil Willmarth is also great.

I used to do the Jim Ryan routine at Houdini's pub in Chicago when I was starting out.

Glenn Bishop
http://www.mrhypnotist.org
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
Quote:
Learn the Johnny Paul routine.

I actually found some time to watch the Johnny Paul tape. I had forgotten how good this routine was. Thanks for mentioning it !

Now all I need to do is grow larger hands so I can thumbpalm a lemon Smile

Joe
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
I just got the Michael Ammar book of magic, and I love it! I have never been a huge fan of the cups and balls, but that has inspired me to buy a nice set, and just practice. I have been working on the wand spin, and the striking vanish (he uses that later in his book for a pen in pencap routine. That combined with the "Wiped Clean" is killer). I vote Ammar!
The great Sandwich!
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
340 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
For a good sampling-get teh Stevens video on cups and Balls-but ignore the Johnny Paul version (we can't have too many people performing this great routine). For myself, I use the Paul routine (with the Goshman growing ball as one of two kicker endings)for small groups and a two-cup routine for platform. By the way, I have been tinkering with a old raven gimmick (just the m***) in a wad of bills to use some Gertner balls in a two-cup chop cup routine. Anyone played around with something like this?
David
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
My only complaint about the Ammar routine is that the load of each of the cups is on the wrong beat. There is actually huge heat on the cup each time a load is performed (as opposed to loading under a misdirectional cue). I like the idea of getting rid of a cup one at a time, but just hate the loading sequencing. On a side note, I also think using the striking vanish with one of the balls is obvious and not deceptive enough. His push-through vanish, however, is brilliant.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Both the Ammar and Vernon routines are terrific. But it is THEIR routine. If you are going to dedicate the time and effort it takes to master this classic effect, why not use the basic moves and produce a routine of your own? Use bits and pieces of each routine that you like and come up with something that is original to you. Just a thought.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
For the few German speaking people around the Café, I would like to mention that Hörbi Kull, a Swiss magician and (I think) student of Cellini, has a DVD (in German, sorry) where he performs and explains the "Royal Touch" routine. (Thank you Frank for your above description).

The DVD can be obtained at http://www.zauberladen.com.

I was "re-starting" magic when I bought the DVD and although I don't perform it yet (I still have problems with "smooth" passes), I felt that the routine has a good balance.

Just my 2 € cents Smile

Mathias
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL