The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Blackstone Island (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
We are traveling by car to Grand Rapids this year for the IBM Convention. We wanted to stop at a few magical places because we have never been in Michigan.
We are looking at stopping at:
Colon of course to go to Abbotts, and the Magic Graveyard! While in Colon, I would like to show Dad where Blackstone house (if it's still up), does anyone know?
The American Museum of Magic in Marshal.
Am I missing anything?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Go to Abbott's, first. Greg has a "map" of the cemetery, so you'll be able to find the graves that you would like to visit.

The "big thing" at Abbott's, is the ceiling of the showroom! (More than a "few" lithograph posters "adorn" the ceiling.)

Greg can tell you how to arrange a visit to Bob Lund's Museum. If I remember correctly, the museum is not open every day. The museum is a "must visit"! Plan on several HOURS. Try to visit Bob's LIBRARY, also!!! (It's in the old city library building.)

I haven't been out to the "island" in several years. As far as I know, the house still is there. (It's not really an island, it's a PEN-INSULA.)

There are two other magic shops...Sterlini's, and FAB (Rick Fisher's.)

Wish I could be there, but, I live 500 miles away!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Blackstone Island was sold years ago, not sure what is left there today if anything.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Thank you.... I did some research already and found that there are little place called the Retreat at Miller's landing where Blackstone had some houses for people in his show... I was just curious about his old house, I have seen a picture of it... wondered if it is still there?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'll try to contact a young man whom I mentored, when I was off the road, and parking my motor home in Colon. He lives just outside of Colon, and, may know, or at least be able to find out, about Harry's home. I'll PM you with whatever I'm able to learn. It might take a couple days.
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Thanks Dick, your the best!!
Bruce
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
So far, I've had no luck contacting B.J. Mallen. I'll keep trying!

Greg Bordner should know, but he can be difficult to reach. Also, Rick Fisher (FAB MAGIC) might know.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It is still there. Miller's Landing is still there and available to rent to stay in. The old barn that Harry kept his illusions is long gone but the house is still there.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks Richard.
johnsterlini
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of johnsterlini
Yes, it is still there however there were some major flooding a few weeks ago,doubt a stay at Millers Landing will be possible, the BStone home is just a few doors down. You can drive down and check it out, just be respectful of the current owners. We open by appointment only, would be glad to show you around. The museum is now open on a regular basis, but do check out hours of operation, a very worthwhile stop.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
The Blackstone house is still intact and in good shape my friends the Janaceks own the home and done a remarkable job maintaining the house and grounds. Rich and his wife welcome magicians to come by and visit - I often take visiting magicians/tourists there. Millers landing was sold in November and the new owners are trying their best to clean the cottages up before summer rental season. Colon experienced a 100 year flooding situation and most of the homes on Blackstone Island were damaged.
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Blackstone Island (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL