The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Trade Show Effects Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
How big does an effect have to be for a trade show performance? Or to put it another way, how small can it be?

For example, the Trade Show Shells are pretty darn big - suppose you wanted to use regular size shells, would that work? In terms of an audience, of the size you'd want to gather for a trade show routine, being able to see and appreciate it, that is.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
For every rule, there is an exception. Even that one.

I don't care how many guys say what they say about anything, there will be some guy who will be able to make it play. Now, that guy may not be you or me for that matter, so knowing the rules is a good thing. But I'm convinced you can make anything work if you are willing to but in the thought and effort into making it work.

Having said that, if they can't hear you or see you (or what you are doing) they are likely to walk away.

If you can solve those problems, or make them matter less, then the obstacle ceases to exist.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To perform for trade shows, the material does not have to be big. There are different approaches to how to work a crowed. Some performers use smaller magic to draw the 1st few people in, and hopefully others will follow. Then switch to presenting your magic up in your hands.

The other approach is to use large equipment as the draw and stay up.

Trade show magic examples.

Sponge Rabbits
Sponge Balls - each ball is a feature
8" Linking Rings
3 1/2 of Clubs Card trick - Cliff Hanger effect to push product features
Chop Cup
Card in Wallet

These should get you started.

There are books by professional trade show magicians, I suggest you purchase all of them if you wish to try to enter this market. Eddie Tullock wrote an excellent book called 'Tullock - The phantom Founder of Trade Show Magic'. Here the video produced on if you perfer the this medium.

http://www.llpub.com/catalog/product_inf......_id=1118

I am talking about industrial trade shows, not your local home show. Good Luck!

The rest of the book title is 'The Real Truth About Trade Show Magic And A Lot More! REVEALED'

Bill Derman published his trade show card in envelope some time back as well as his book 'Card Tricks That Get The Money and The Patter That Gets The Bookings'.
Bigmac
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Bigmac
As noted, trade show magic is not one particular type or performance venue. There is great variation depending on the structure of the booth you are performing in, the location of the booth on the trade show floor (aisle, corner, etc.) and the clients purpose in having you in the booth. Are you positioned on the aisle with a podium or on a stage at the back of the booth? Is your intent to stop passerbys, pull a crowd into the booth, generqte new leads, inform or educate the crowd about a product, or reward select clients with entertainment?

Each setup or senario requires slightly different tricks and size considerations. As recommended above start reading and attend as many trade shows as possible to observe the various variables and how performers successfully adapt. I always spend hours in consultation with the client about their purpose, goals, themes and details of the space layout before even beginning to consider what tricks I will perform. The tricks themselves are the last (and often least important) part of being a tradeshow magician. Learn this lesson early and you will be well on your way to success.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe there is a book by Tallenbaum also. I seem to remember this being advertized a while ago.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Trade Show Effects Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL