The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Lean by Doug Malloy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
Am thinking about buying Doug Malloy Lean. Does any one have any feed back on this?
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
On the contrary, Magicusa. Malloy's version of the classic trick is awesome. I've seen him perform it at the Castle a couple of times; it's very visual--almost surreal.

However, as I understand the trick (without giving away too much info), there's more to it than just the special shoes. Therefore, you're not going to be walking down the hallway at work and all of a sudden go into an antigravity move. I believe that it's for a formal show. However, if you perform professionally, in the right venue this is a fantastic routine!
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Hi MJ Marrs,
Could you please tell us the effect?
Thanking you,
Gerard
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
MagicCarisio,

Go to the site below and read it for yourself, save alot of typing.

http://www.malloymodernmagic.com
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Hi everyone,
I had been to the lean website and read about it. I have heard that it is not possible to do all that is claimed, meaning you are not free to move before or after the lean and I remember seeing the price else where at around $500.
How practical is this? Owners please comment. Thanks in advance.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
"Lean on me, when you're not strong"...

Malloy is a brilliant and honest guy. He'll give you the straight dope about any of his products!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I asked Malloy. Beside the shoes you need a heavy metal plate (quiet big) to stand on it. Therefore it is only good for stage shows.
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Hi Nimrod,
I am planning to use this as a visual gag in a stage act I am building. The act requires that I move around a lot. Will I be able to do it without leaving the stage? For instance can I do the dancing cane, with a lot of movement and then lean towards a drink, lean back and be completely mobile again? Without having to take the shoes off? Or does wearing these shoes restrict mobility? Also does the performer have to be slim?
Please reply and thank you in advance.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I saw a magician do the Lean yesterday at the SAM 16 Magic Competition. He had to set up on stage with no curtain. I watched him lay out the metal plate and drape a cloth over it. He did a great act with a bit of mime movement and at the end he was pusing on a "floating" ball and leaned way over so it seemed to hold him up. He was able to move around completely freely before and after the lean, and getting into position was not at all suspicious.

While walking to my car I hear a group speculating on how he was able to lean over so far. They concluded that it must take a lot of practice. I think it's significant that this sight gag is what they were talking about as they left as there was a lot of really good magic in the competition.
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Dsilverfield,

Yes you can walk around the stage and the shoes can be worn during the entire performance without anything being given away. It's a great visual and I've seen the plate introduced in a number of alternative ways. I could be mistaken, but I think Kevin James uses it with Arturo and the gimmick is actually on a cleaning cart that is pushed out on stage at the beginning of the act. The lean is done on the cart versus leaving the plate on the floor.
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
I just finished reading an old Genii article on Bert Easley, which gives some interesting details on the lean board. One of the points that caught my attention was that the illusion requires the performer to be fairly light in weight, and somewhat (sorry) short in stature. The article mentioned that the late Harry Blackstone Jr. was interested in The Lean, and tried on Bert Easley's shoes. Unfortunately, Blackstone was too large, and the effect was unworkable.

I'm curious to know if any 6 foot something magicians have been able to use The Lean. If so, please let me know.
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I am 6ft and perform without any problem. The key isn't your height, but your calf strength. Of course hitting the gym helps if you perform this regularly and the more fit the calves the farther the lean.
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Christopher and Oliver Twist:
Thank you very much for your kind reviews and they have helped me a lot in deciding.
I have one last concern.
Can the metal plate be onstage before I start and can I just walk up to onto it and do the lean?
Thanks in advance.
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
You can put the plate onstage before you start and you'll be all set. Yes, you can walk up onto the plate and then do the lean. You just have to get into position on the plate before you can lean.
Corey King
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Thanks Corey. I get the point. I think I will go for it.
Thank you all
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
It only looks good if you do not over do it. Just be prepared if you are told it is an OLD CLOWN GAG. While this version is more developed the basics are the same.
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Thanks power magic and coincidentally, that was the first comment a friend of mine made when I mentioned it.
Mr. Bunkley
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bunkley
Jello,

I have always loved "The Lean" and decided to go ahead and take the plunge because I couldn't find anyone who owned it or had ever used it.

That's the PLUS, noone uses it. The carpet coverup does just fine and is never noticed. I think it's like the super X, that even if you only bought it for promo pictures alone; it's still a unique picture that will really set you apart from all the floating ladies that agents see.

Unfortunately, I've had a hip replacement and while I can still do it. ..it's not really the safest trick for me to perform,now. Mines for sale. . . .just check the buy/sell section for "The Lean".

Thank you,
Daniel
dbull@ccvn.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Lean by Doug Malloy (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL