The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » YouTube magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Hi All. I'm an old newbie - 60+ [gulp].

Have any of you seen the Youtube videos on the Classic Pass? I'm a tad embarrassed by this question but do you think they may be doctored? Perhaps speeded up at the appropriate moment or even edited to avoid showing the side-flash of cards. I can barely see the hands move and Poof! the deck portions are transposed. It seems to send the Second Law of Thermodynamics into doubt.

What say you?
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Without a link to whatever video you're referring to, I can't be 100% positive, but I'm probably about 99% positive they are not doctored.

I think this for two reasons.
1) It's not that hard to get a pass that's pretty quick and doesn't flash. Just a matter of practicing good technique.
2) Most YT videos are done with cameras that aren't that great anyway. Even a semi-decent pass will probably be more than fast enough to slip by that frame rate. My pass looks phenomenal on videos taken with web cams - not so great in person.

Oh, and a bonus:
3) They can do as many takes as they want and just use the one that looks best.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thank you for your input.

Cheers,
Teddy
DeeGood
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of DeeGood
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2018, WitchDocChris wrote:
Without a link to whatever video you're referring to, I can't be 100% positive, but I'm probably about 99% positive they are not doctored.

I think this for two reasons.
1) It's not that hard to get a pass that's pretty quick and doesn't flash. Just a matter of practicing good technique.
2) Most YT videos are done with cameras that aren't that great anyway. Even a semi-decent pass will probably be more than fast enough to slip by that frame rate. My pass looks phenomenal on videos taken with web cams - not so great in person.

Oh, and a bonus:
3) They can do as many takes as they want and just use the one that looks best.

absolutely agree with you
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Yup I'm not too good at the Pass myself but if I'm making a video, I will obviously use the shot where I didn't flash at ALL. And it's very easy to understand doctored videos so that's never a good option.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
TeddyBoy ...
as a performer myself for over 40 years, if you have not heard of Scam School on youtube.com then I am proud to introduce you!

You will find an Aladdin's Cave of information ...

wulfie
kardistic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of kardistic
The best YT channel for magic is 52kards, but I recommend buy the pass from Xavier Spades.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks to all and Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Teddy
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Jonathan Kama has one of the most amazing passes...he’s one of those artists that looks like its edited, it so amazing. He’s git some videos on his website:

http://jonathankamm.wixsite.com/kammagic1

He also sells a reasonable priced download on how to do the pass.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
gong
View Profile
New user
San Francisco, CA
14 Posts

Profile of gong
Peter Cassford has a video called "Pass with Care". An hour devoted to just the classic pass.

In it, he shows himself doing a classic pass in 10 seconds (slow motion), but from the front, there's no detectable movement. His fingers don't appear to be moving, and there's no flashing of card movement.

So it's definitely possible to achieve a virtually invisible classic pass (at least from front and right angles).
Laughing
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Laughing
Teddy, I have been practicing the classic pass for 6 months now and initially it was visible from any angle. I can now do it in front of a mirror, slowly and not flash, from face on. It just takes practice. I gave up trying to be quick so decided to be clean.

In any event you should only really do a pass on the offbeat, if an audience is burning your hands they will know something happened. Oh and Xavier probably makes a racket when he performs a pass that quickly!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » YouTube magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL