The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First REAL show - help with the set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Luan
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Luan
Hello everyone!

Im writing to seek advice for my first real show. Ive been a hobbyist since I was a kid, ive done a few competitions (the rare ones that happen around me). Id say I'm quite sufficient in doing effects, and have quite a good body of knowledge. That being said - I usually only preform for friends and family, and do maybe 10 effects tops. Well that's enough for my qualifications - heres the deal.

Next Friday I volunteered to do a magic show for a humanitarian event. Its going to be part table hopping and part parlor. This will be in a bar and the parlor part of the show will be done in the band stage. Now I'm set for table hopping. I plan to do some visual card tricks, some animation and levitation, and something to do with bills (i was thinking self folding bill but feel free to suggest other effects that would be sufficient for close up). Now the parlor part is where I need the real help. So far all I have in terms of a set is 4d telepathy and maybe a hidden knife/russian roulette kind of thing. While I think these would play amazingly well with this audience, I need something a bit more visual and magical rather than mentalism/stunt. I was thinking maybe start with the floating cigarette or hummer card - but other than that I'm lost.

Any tips for effects or general performance tips will be greatly appreciated. You guys can give whatever opinion you want, or maybe share shows or routines that play well so I can see what effects I should aim twoards.

-Luan
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Luan..Luan..Luan..
You're performing for the FIRST time ( First Real Show) next Friday and you are looking for advice on what you should
do? I get it, you have 10 effects tops and that's it for your qualifications. ( quoting you)

I appluad your willingness to volunteer for the humanitarian event. IMO , it's too late to ask what you should perform
for your parlor show. Perform the effects you K N O W....W E L L. Adapt them to a larger audience. There is a learning
curve when you introduce a new effect, one that you are not completely comfortable with. Especially when you are in front
of a first time audience. My advice: Do what you KNOW .... Have FUN!!!!!
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Luan
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Luan
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2018, davidpaul$ wrote:
Luan..Luan..Luan..
Your performing for the FIRST time ( First Real Show) next Friday and you are looking for advice on what you should
do? I get it, you have 10 effects tops and that's it for your qualifications. ( quoting you)

I appluad your willingness to volunteer for the humanitarian event. IMO , it's too late to ask what you should perform
for your parlor show. Perform the effects you K N O W W E L L. Adapt them to a larger audience. There is a learning
curve when you introduce a new effect, one you are not completely comfortable with. Especially when you are in front
of a first time audience. My advice: Do what you KNOW .... Have FUN!!!!!

Yes I know it seems weird. I am however very comfortable with 4d telepathy, and that usually leaves the people stunned that's why I mentioned it. Russian roulette-hidden knife ive never done - but seemed like a fun idea Smile . I am comfortable with other tricks aswell, I just don't do them that often since it requires props and set ups and for the casual occasions I preform them in - its too much of a hassle (TnR newspaper, bill in lemon, cups an balls, the classics). I wouldnt take on a new effect in a weeks time - that's bold. Im just asking what effects play well since I'm sure I can preform most of them (the classics anyways), and maybe a little bit of help with the structure. I cant go on stage and do 3 tricks that are clearly a closer - and that's the part which I have no experience in. Thank you so much for your advice, and if you have any special effects you like performing please do share.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Are you familiar with rope effects? How about Vanishing Bottle, giant straw from bag, Bwave with jumbo size cards,
Baby Gag routine. I perform a sponge ball routine utilizing a trout fishing net with a volunteer on stage that plays well
for a larger audience. The net brings the effect up and out as opposed to a table.

If you analyze what you already do, I'll bet you can think how to make some of those effects play to a bigger audience.
Cody Fisher has some advice on how to transition close-up effects to parlor/stage. You can sign up for his free monthly
video that has great content. He visits here regularly. Check out his website.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2018, Luan wrote:
Im just asking what effects play well since I'm sure I can preform most of them (the classics anyways), and maybe a little bit of help with the structure. I cant go on stage and do 3 tricks that are clearly a closer - and that's the part which I have no experience in. Thank you so much for your advice, and if you have any special effects you like performing please do share.

A couple general principles:

1. As Jeff McBride told me, there are two kinds of audiences: thinking audiences and drinking audiences. Makes sure your material is appropriate for the kind of audience you have. You're doing this in a bar, for people who did not come there to see magic. You're going to want to do material that is visual, that doesn't require following a long plot, and that hits hard.

2. Your performance should be "hands up, head up." Anything performed on a table is out (e.g., cups and balls). Everything you do must be performed in your hands held at chest or eye level.

3. Your opener should be quick and highly visual. You want "magic now." Magic happens as soon as you come on stage. This grabs attention, gives you instant credibility and lets the audience know what they are in for. I usually use music, too, for added impact.

4. You haven't said how much time you're doing in the parlor format, which affects structure. But in general you want to start with "magic now," move to a more complex but visual "establishing" trick. After the first two tricks, you can add in personal pieces and contrast pieces.

5. Your closer should be your biggest trick. Biggest prop, most visual, etc. It should leave no doubt that the show is over. And if you use volunteers, it's best if your show ends with a trick that has no volunteers, just you alone on stage for the final spectacle.

Good luck! Should be exciting.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Luan
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Luan
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2018, davidpaul$ wrote:
Are you familiar with rope effects? How about Vanishing Bottle, giant straw from bag, Bwave with jumbo size cards,
Baby Gag routine. I perform a sponge ball routine utilizing a trout fishing net with a volunteer on stage that plays well
for a larger audience. The net brings the effect up and out as opposed to a table.

If you analyze what you already do, I'll bet you can think how to make some of those effects play to a bigger audience.
Cody Fisher has some advice on how to transition close-up effects to parlor/stage. You can sign up for his free monthly
video that has great content. He visits here regularly. Check out his website.

Thank you so much. I will try and "expand" most of my material for the stage. The effects and routines you mentioned I'm familiar with, an ill try them out and see what goes well with the short time I have.
Luan
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Luan
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2018, danaruns wrote:
Quote:
Im just asking what effects play well since I'm sure I can preform most of them (the classics anyways), and maybe a little bit of help with the structure. I cant go on stage and do 3 tricks that are clearly a closer - and that's the part which I have no experience in. Thank you so much for your advice, and if you have any special effects you like performing please do share.

A couple general principles:

1. As Jeff McBride told me, there are two kinds of audiences: thinking audiences and drinking audiences. Makes sure your material is appropriate for the kind of audience you have. You're doing this in a bar, for people who did not come there to see magic. You're going to want to do material that is visual, that doesn't require following a long plot, and that hits hard.

2. Your performance should be "hands up, head up." Anything performed on a table is out (e.g., cups and balls). Everything you do must be performed in your hands held at chest or eye level.

3. Your opener should be quick and highly visual. You want "magic now." Magic happens as soon as you come on stage. This grabs attention, gives you instant credibility and lets the audience know what they are in for. I usually use music, too, for added impact.

4. You haven't said how much time you're doing in the parlor format, which affects structure. But in general you want to start with "magic now," move to a more complex but visual "establishing" trick. After the first two tricks, you can add in personal pieces and contrast pieces.

5. Your closer should be your biggest trick. Biggest prop, most visual, etc. It should leave no doubt that the show is over. And if you use volunteers, it's best if your show ends with a trick that has no volunteers, just you alone on stage for the final spectacle.

Good luck! Should be exciting.

Danaruns-this has already been so helpful. Most of the effects I had floating around now seem to make sense, or better said - I know which belongs where. Thank you so much. What do you suggest as a first trick? I was thinking TnR newspaper or the floating cigarette. Though I think I am going to make a little speech before I start, mostly because in my country magic is not as known as I'd like, plus its still kind of taboo, so I think I'd have to do a bit of explaining of what I am there to do.
Luan
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Luan
[quote]On Mar 17, 2018, danaruns wrote:
Quote:

I have 20 minutes. Sorry I forgot to mention.
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
5 good bits of advice from Danaruns

Danaruns I have sent you a PM
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Luan, I saw this today by Jeff McBride. See if this doesn't give you some ideas.

https://vimeo.com/256717232
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First REAL show - help with the set (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL