The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The New David De-Val Straitjacket (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bonz
View Profile
Regular user
Twickenham, London, UK
168 Posts

Profile of Bonz
Hi everyone,

PropDog are extremely proud to announce, after 2 years of development, the release of the new David De-Val Straitjacket! Here's the official blurb:

The David De-Val Straitjacket has been expertly remastered and reproduced by PropDog, Allan Taylor and the family of David De-Val.
One of David's original Straitjackets was reverse engineered to make an exact copy which was then tested by various escape artists and members of the UKEA (United Kingdom Escape Artists) and improvements were made where they thought necessary, such as reinforcing the rivets on the inside of the jacket and the UKEA then gave it their official seal of approval, making this one of the best straitjackets ever created!

One of the most important improvements on this straitjacket is that it comes in a small, medium and large. Something never done before with straitjackets, usually you end up with an extremely bad fitting one that's either way too tight or way too baggy. With our new size option, you can get one to fit perfectly!

The gimmicks are in both sleeves and are expertly hidden, so much so that a spectator could completely examine it and even put the jacket on themselves without ever finding the secret.

For more information and photos and videos, please vist: http://www.propdog.co.uk/david-de-val-straitjacket
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Is there any chance of getting this in an un-gimmicked version? Special order maybe?
Why would the UKEA endorse a gimmicked jacket Smile
Bonz
View Profile
Regular user
Twickenham, London, UK
168 Posts

Profile of Bonz
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2018, Sparrowhwk wrote:
Is there any chance of getting this in an un-gimmicked version? Special order maybe?
Why would the UKEA endorse a gimmicked jacket Smile

Really not sure why you'd want an ungimmicked one as you wouldn't to escape from it, but sure, all we'd do is just sew the straps so they don't slip. Simple job.
As to why the UKEA would endorse it, not sure I understand that. Why would they endorse a non gimmicked one as they are impossible to escape from. All magician's straitjackets are gimmicked.
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Thank you for the reply, I am glad to know that you are willing to work with your customers to meet their needs - the jacket looks great. I'll start saving my pennies.

I'm not sure if you were serious in your reply - but you made my point. All MAGICIAN'S strait jackets may be gimmicked, but many ESCAPE ARTISTS prefer un-gimicked equipment. There are several reasons for this, and my point was exactly that the UKEA group purports to represent genuine escape artists rather than magicians.

Thanks again for clarifying,
DavisG
View Profile
New user
Virginia
34 Posts

Profile of DavisG
"Why would they endorse a non gimmicked one as they are impossible to escape from. All magician's straitjackets are gimmicked."

Uh, no. As posted above, a regular straitjacket CAN be defeated. Even I was able to do that, back when I was slimmer and younger. Smile
allantaylor
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
125 Posts

Profile of allantaylor
Hi All, Just to be clear there is a need for both types of jackets. If you want a regulation jacket for something like a Guinness world record attempt then I think most people will know what jacket they need. My aim was never to compete in this market or advise people what jacket they needed.

However, this project was about recreating the David De-Val original gimmicked jacket, over the last 10 years we have had people ask us ( mainly my wife) if we had any of his jackets left, the answer was always a no. Production by David stopped in 2000, for a few years after they were made by someone else but they were inferior quality.

People were always asking for us to produce it again, but at the time we didn’t have the means to put something on the market that would meet the quality of the original jacket for the right price. Fast forward a few years and I got involved with Propdog who have a reputation for releasing the finest products and more importantly they have a reputation for being very honest and if they don’t like a product they simply say so and will not stock it.

So the journey started, initially it was going to be a like for like jacket, I spoke to many people in the UK and overseas about their current jackets and more importantly people who were still using the De-Val jackets, when asked if we could improve on the original most people said no – they had been using the jackets for years and years and they were still in great condition and didn't feel the need for change. Upon further investigation it was found that some people had changed the buckles after many years of abuse so we decided to try the jacket with more heavy duty buckles, this went down well with the people I showed them to. We also decided to use better quality thicker leather straps ensuring the jacket would take even more abuse than the originals, we also added extra and stronger rivets with extra support inside the jacket. One last thing was that people asked for different sizes, so we created 3 sizes rather than the one size fits all.

Its no secret that I am part of the UKEA and I asked the team to put them under some vigorous testing to make sure we created the strongest jacket on the market that would last a lifetime. Members in that group use a variation of jackets and we have 3 world record holders who use regulation jackets. The stamp of approval was that this jacket met most performers demands, was made to the highest quality and also easy to purchase.

I also tested the jackets with various other people and I took on board all advice and throughout the project we made various tweaks, 2 years later, we finally had a product that we were 100% happy with and ready to release. We did this at the Blackpool magic convention and had some great feedback.

The majority of people who asked me for a jacket were buskers, regular busy performers who all wanted a great looking gimmicked jacket that would last show after show. From the feedback we have received then I am confident we have ticked all the boxes.

Thank you and feel free to send a PM if you have any question or contact Propdog direct.
Buy the new updated Cell Escape-The Real Secret http://de-val-magic.co.uk/store/
Bonz
View Profile
Regular user
Twickenham, London, UK
168 Posts

Profile of Bonz
I stand corrected and apologise! I had no idea that performers were out there using regular ungimmicked jackets!! You learn something every day! Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I am 99% sure that the Cannons used to offer gimmicked jackets in different sizes. I'll check my catalogue and get back to you on that one.... but I am pretty sure they did.
allantaylor
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
125 Posts

Profile of allantaylor
Dave I'm not sure what your point is? We are talking about a De-Val jacket, not a company that doesn't exist anymore?To save you time they did sell Posey jackets in various sizes and they added a gimmick.
Buy the new updated Cell Escape-The Real Secret http://de-val-magic.co.uk/store/
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I misunderstood the original point about the size.... I thought it was "Gimmicked straight jackets have never been available in different sizes before". But you mean the David De-val jackets were only available in one size before?

My point was (before I misunderstood - though re-reading the blurb I can see where it can be 'argued' either way) that the claim was that straight-jackets have never been available in different sizes. The copy does read as though different sizes is a new thing for straight jackets, especially gimmicked ones. Clearly, straight-jackets have been available in different sizes as have gimmicked ones (regardless of if the company making them is still around or not).

You know how *** argumentative escape artists are! Magicians more so ..... Someone might get arsey that your ad copy is "a lie".
allantaylor
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
125 Posts

Profile of allantaylor
#straitjacket not straightjacket

People always get arsey on here, it's normal. People like to spend more time moaning and less time being helpful.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
But you could argue the ad copy is misleading .... and if you plan on penetrating the US market anytime... these things are important.

You can see why (a dyslexic) I read it the way I did. I know there has to be a balance between accuracy and selling something. But to claim that SJs have never been available in different sizes is a bit brazen. In my opinion. Maybe if it was more clear that this is one of the improvements over the original De-Val jackets... I may be less arsey about it. Smile Smile Smile

On a plus side, I do like that Dave Bonsal thinks Sjs are un-escapable-ing-from-able (couldn't think it's inescapable or unescapable so I made my own word up).
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
And just so we are 100% clear .....

.... I love my original David De-Val jacket ... but these look rather nice too.

Not sure why UKEA would want to be linked directly to a gaffed jacket - it does seem like a suggestion that all escape artists are using gimmicked jackets. But I guess you discussed that at the AGM?
allantaylor
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
125 Posts

Profile of allantaylor
I accept that the original text could be a little misleading, we can soon make that clearer, however it wouldn't effect anyone decisions in purchasing. Ours are designed with the performer in mind and based on 3 sizes that have been trialled on many people of all sizes and shapes, there is a possibility that we will include a larger size if we have demand.

We discussed a lot at the AGM, it was a great day and probably the best meeting yet.

This is the last comment I will make regarding this, if anyone has questions on the De-Val jacket then feel free to PM me or contact Propdog who will be more than happy to help out with sizes, and remember if it doesn't fit when you get it then simply send back for a free exchange in order to get the correct size.

Thanks to everyone who has already purchased and remember we have free worldwide shipping!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2018, allantaylor wrote:

and remember if it doesn't fit when you get it then simply send back for a free exchange in order to get the correct size.

That bit was very clear - and I think is a first! I have not heard of anyone offering free direct swaps. I think its a great idea!

Quote:
On Mar 20, 2018, allantaylor wrote:

Thanks to everyone who has already purchased and remember we have free worldwide shipping!

Now you're just being crazy! Free shipping worldwide on a bulky item! Mad I tell you! In a nice way ... no need to reply. I think it is an excellent offer.
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Thanks for the detailed background and clarification Alan.
It looks great.
allantaylor
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
125 Posts

Profile of allantaylor
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2018, Sparrowhwk wrote:
Thanks for the detailed background and clarification Alan.
It looks great.

No Problem Sparrowhwk Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The New David De-Val Straitjacket (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL