The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Need a name for my act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
233 Posts

Profile of avimagic
When I was 15 and started performing, I was The Amazing Avi.

In college, I started working the comedy clubs, and went by The Magical Comedy of Avi. (At some point there, I was also calling my show "Prestidigitation and Other Big Words," but emcees had too much trouble with it, so I went back to The Magical Comedy of Avi)

Later, I got into big illusions, and went as The Astounding Magical Illusions of Avi.

Now, I'm selling my illusions and going back to a nightclub-type show with a lot of comedy in it-- I will not be doing any kidshows.

I'm thinking of going back to The Magical Comedy of Avi, but it just seems blah to me. Is it because I used it for so long, or is it truly blah?

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Avi
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
How about the Magic and Comedy of Avi.
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
I like the name Avimagic. "The Hilarious Comedy of Avimagic"
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22842 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is a difference in using a performing name and having a slogan for your act.

If you change your act you don't want to change your name each time, do you? I guess if you like the single name like 'Cher' or 'Fantasio' then you simply call yourself 'Avi'. Your reputation tells the rest, as does your slogan, and mission statement.

As the following:
Avi is a magician
Avi is humorous
Avi seen most the time at Comedy Clubs and Adult functions.
Avi interacts with his audience.

I don't think you will sign your contracts or tax forms "The Amazing Ali" or would you.

Tony Kardyro changed his name according to his act for his niteclub act, his close-up, and his other character changes.
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
233 Posts

Profile of avimagic
Thank you all for your input.

wmhegbli, I like what you said about just being "Avi." It fits nicely into Donster's idea of calling the show "The Magic & Comedy of Avi."

I liked the idea of using "Avimagic" but it didn't score any points with my biggest critic: Mrs. Avimagic. So, at this point I'm leaning in the direction of calling the show The Magic & Comedy of Avi.

Again, thanks!!!

Avi
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
Simply Hilarious: The Magic of Avi

Hi-larious: The magic and comedy of Avi
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Beware. While I've always performed under the name Michael Kent, the name of my production company is KentMagic Productions. Before I started typing intro cards for those intriducing me, I was introduced on more than one occasion as "And now enjoy Kent Magic!" Yikes! I'd like them to identify with my name rather than the production company name, so I've recently changed letterheads and promo to downsize the KentMagic Productions and play up Michael Kent.

I dunno if this even pertains to your topic anymore. Sorry!
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
In the comedy club setting, I kind of like the name you had...Prestidigitation and Other Big Words.
It's funny and catchy. If the MC's can't get it right, you could always have a canned intro.
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
The Magic & Comedy of Avi.

Switch Avi around and you have via.

So it now becomes:- The Magic & Comedy Via Avi.

Oh well, back to the drawing board!!

John Breeds
Funjurer Extroadinarre
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Keep it simple. People remember simple...
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I agree with wmhegbli. Bill yourself as "Avi." It's short, simple, unusual and memorable.

I would actually stay away from "magical" or "comedy." When I hear a performer introduced with a statement like "the magical comedy of _________________," my gut reaction is generally "I'll be that judge of whether he is magical, funny or neither."

I did like the "Prestidigitation and Other Big Words" title, but I would tie it more into your act. For example, if your style is "in their faces" magic and comedy, use "Prestidigitation and Other Words You Can't Pronounce." Or, if your style is self effacing, use "Prestidigitation and Other Words I Can't Pronounce."

Not being able to pronounce certain words could be a source of continuing one-liners or gags. For example: I said to my psychologist, "Doctor, I'm depressed because I can't say some words correctly." The Doctor said, "Oh, you have an inferiority complex." I said, "I can't say in-far-ee-ear-it-ee complex."

0pus
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
233 Posts

Profile of avimagic
I want to thank everyone who has posted some really great and very thought provoking replies to my request. Although I've been sitting back quietly since my last post on this thread 2 weeks ago, I have been 'listening' and really appreciate everyone's input.

Opus, I LOVE the idea of Prestidigitation and Other Words You Can't Pronounce. I envision it in a "Raiders of the Lost Ark" kind of font, like it's introducing that Next Best Thing. Very funny. I think that's where I'm headed.

Again, thank you all!!!!

Avi
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Just don't let the name come off as arrogant or pompous.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
"Vanish This!"
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
221 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
If you get an assistant you could be Avi/Maria!
I wouldn't call myself Minnie Moore 'cause it gets lost in the translation (e.g. "It's a magical spectacular! Starring Lance Burton, David Copperfield and Minnie Moore".) People hear "Many More."
Sociomagi
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Sociomagi
I like Prestidigitation and Other Words I Can't Pronounce. That makes me laugh.

Peter Goode
Belief is the biggest step man can make!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Need a name for my act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL