The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » René Lavand--Three questions (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
This link will take you I hope to a jpeg collage of two photos of René Lavand on the
IBM Ring 103 Norfolk
facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/338764602812514......&theater

Three questions:
1. What was René Lavand's stage manipulation act like?
2. What fanning deck is he using in the photo?
3. What cane effect did he do? It looks like he's holding a Walsh Appearing Cane since the top looks hollow. Or maybe it's a cane with an animal's head on it.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
After looking at Facebook and several of the videos, I would say, he never did a manipulation act on stage. There is a photo of him holding 4 billiard balls, but nothing that referenced a stage act. Every video shows him doing card tricks on stage standing at a table.

I believe the top hat and tails photos are only publicity photos and poster, that were usually posted outside theaters of the attractions appearing. This type of dress conveys he is a magician.

As for the 3 questions, can't comment, as the pictures are to blurry. The deck just looks like a bridge deck with interesting design.

That is my guess.
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
216 Posts

Profile of Ronin
In Lavand's own words, from the biographical section of "Magic from the Soul" (Magic Words, 1993):

"The first international magic convention to take place in Argentina was in 1958. David Bamberg, Fu Manchu, was the main organizer and competition judge, thus assuring the convention's success. It lasted five days, with the El Nacional Theatre as its headquarters.

"Dressed in tails, very elegant and syphon-shaped (the package was worth more than the contents), I presented my act on that 65-foot-wide stage although it felt like 650!"

The photo of him with the cane and card fan accompanies this section. Elsewhere in the chapter, Lavand mentions that he did cane and billiard ball manipulation in his stage act, but no other details. Lavand won the Gold Medal in manipulation at the convention, and "then appeared on the gala show in front of more than a thousand people." This makes me think that it was an actual stage act. Lavand went professional that year and began working in nightclubs, eventually appearing on Ed Sullivan in 1962. That appearance looks like the card magic style I associate with him, and the biography makes it seem that he only did the stage manipulation act for a short time.
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2018, Ronin wrote:
In Lavand's own words, from the biographical section of "Magic from the Soul" (Magic Words, 1993):

"The first international magic convention to take place in Argentina was in 1958. David Bamberg, Fu Manchu, was the main organizer and competition judge, thus assuring the convention's success. It lasted five days, with the El Nacional Theatre as its headquarters.

"Dressed in tails, very elegant and syphon-shaped (the package was worth more than the contents), I presented my act on that 65-foot-wide stage although it felt like 650!"

The photo of him with the cane and card fan accompanies this section. Elsewhere in the chapter, Lavand mentions that he did cane and billiard ball manipulation in his stage act, but no other details. Lavand won the Gold Medal in manipulation at the convention, and "then appeared on the gala show in front of more than a thousand people." This makes me think that it was an actual stage act. Lavand went professional that year and began working in night clubs, eventually appearing on Ed Sullivan in 1962. That appearance looks like the card magic style I associate with him, and the biography makes it seem that he only did the stage manipulation act for a short time.

I guess we will never know. I believe there is only so much that can be done with Canes and Billiard Balls. Magic competition acts are usually limited to 8 min in length, not enough time for his table card work with an onlooker on stage, and to much time for only using props, such as Canes and Billiard Balls.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » René Lavand--Three questions (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL