The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Patter/Routine assistance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
I recently acquired Hippity Hop Rabbits, Stratosphere, and Run Rabbit Run through online auctions and a magician's swap meet. The products are used, but in pretty good shape. None of them came with intruction, a routine, or "patter".

Now, I've seen all of these performed. But, I was wondering if any of you guys had ideas for an interesting way to present these effects at a birthday party (for children 5-7 years old). Smile
What is the color of magic?
Kool Kat
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
25 Posts

Profile of Kool Kat
Yes - I recently bought a very *large* Hippity Hop Rabbits secondhand from a magician who didn't use it. I was hoping someone would post some routines - or ideas that I could develop into a 'killer' routine - good enough to earn the effort of carrying the extra weight!

It goes down extremely well, apparently - some people never leave it out. As far as I've heard, you can do it down to as young as three, and many do it for adults too (with different presentation). An "oldie but goodie", eh?

Cheers, Kath Smile
Bill & Kath Worsfold
Kiwi Entertainers
http://www.billkath.co.nz
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Hippity Hop Rabbits

Generally this is used as a "sucker" trick and only one or two of these can be used in a show. It is a "turn it around" screaming kid trick.

The boxes that cover the trick each have a different color hat indicating the color rabbit in it. Make sure they know that by pointing it out.

Tell them what you're going to do then do it. "The black rabbit will exchange houses with the white rabbit"" (You can give the rabbits a personaility and name them.) Say the magic word and it happens, peek into the box and tell them it happened. "Now for the hardest part of the trick, that is to get them to go back...One, two, three...Abrakadabra their back. " Well the screaming will start and then ask them if would like to see the trick again. When they say yes, do it again then they will scream for you to show them before you make them go back. (Turn them around blanently obviously) Pull off the box, show them they switched. Holding the rabbits against your chest they will scream turn them around, (Turn them upside down) more screaming, (spin your body arround) more screaming, the other side (change hands) more screaming... "Oh you mean this side the backside of the rabbit?"... "Yeeeaaaa!"

Zap you got them, "Meet Henreitta and Herman their cousins."

Now the interplay is what makes this trick and it is a good trick. The exact wording must come from you because it cannot be a word for word trick, it hinges on what the kids are saying the loudest on how you turn the rabbits around. It can be two-to-three minute trick.

Hope this helps!
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Stratosphere

This can be a great teaching, educational trick. On real young kids it can be used to teach the colors, on kindergarten age teach a safety message of a street lights.

As with all tricks with seperate independent "items" (Three balls, three ropes, three anything) have each represent something. They could be used to teach the danger of Drugs. The colors Red for Danger, Green for Good, Yellow for Caution related to any safety message. You can use it to talk about the dangers of poisons to the older kid crowd. Three things can be taught, if each ball has meaning, and what happens if they get it mixed up. Creative thinking here can really turn this trick into an excellent teaching tool for any group audience, including trade shows.

The Stratosphere can be used to teach older kids the concept of the Fire Safety Message: "Stop, Drop, and Roll", or another Fire Safety Message, "Get Low and Go."

In Gospel magic, the sky is the limit for teaching moral values, or Christian concepts.

Safety Magic for Children by Karl Wagner has complete routines for the Stratosphere trick as well as Hippy Hop Rabbit variations. An excellent book and a must in any Kid Show Magician's library So many great routines
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Run Rabbit Run

This was posted elsewhere and I am reposting it here.

There are others who feel like you do with this "Run Rabbit Run" trick. I don't have that trick, but I do have it's clone "Firehouse Frenzy" with Fireman Dan looking for the lost fire dog puppy.

I am working on a routine to teach EDITH, (Exit Drills In The Home), a fire safety message, to help the firefighter find the missing puppy. This routine places that love for a puppy a kid has as a reinforcing tool to get out of a house if it is on fire.

Using this basic premise, do you do a rabbit production? If so, tie the Run Rabbit Run to it. Have the kids help you look for the rabbit and then appear a real rabbit. A one-two punch. They'll have fun helping you look for that rabbit.

Now, to make it even more powerful, make the trick part of a running gag. Start out somewhere in the begining of your act by telling them you lost your magic rabbit and pop a flat rabbit out of a hat. Later on, look for that rabbit again and produce a rabbit silk, nope he's not here. Later, move into the Run Rabbit Run bit, then conclude it with the rabbit appearing on a kids back or elsewhere, put the wood rabbit into another apparatus and appear a real rabbit.

Are you getting the jist of this routine to make use of that contraption? Once the real rabbit appears, the kids will forget about the Run Rabbit Run trick... They'll OUEEEEE and AHHH over the rabbit and forget the trick.

The above idea was just conceived as I pondered on how I would approach that trick. It is up for grabs by anyone out there!

To add to it, I would do some research in my kids magic library, Ginn stuff, Kids Stuff, my data base and other books on existing material related to this trick, throw a couple of corny comedy bits about rabbits and I have an original routine.

Good luck,
Den
Dennis Michael
Kool Kat
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
25 Posts

Profile of Kool Kat
Den, a really big Thank You Smile from those of us who are not nearly so far down the "magic road" in their lives.

You always take the trouble to give such good advice to newbies. You're the kind of mentor I was looking for when I joined this forum.

Cheers,
Kath Worsfold Smile
Bill & Kath Worsfold
Kiwi Entertainers
http://www.billkath.co.nz
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Thanks Dennis! Your posts on the effects were very helpful. I'll be sure and let you know how the show goes (it's this weekend). Smile
What is the color of magic?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Good Luck Dr. Mage and Thanks for the comment Kool Kat,

One final tip, if things go wrong, expect it, if it is good write it down and try to get a repeat of it in a future show, if it didn't work out, ask youself why, and how you can improve it next time.

If you can video yourself, great. With Kid shows, experience only builds your show for super future performances.

Under no circumstances do you let an error, a mistake, a screw-up, "opps" get you down. It happens to everyone sooner or later. David Guinn had a whole chapter in one of his books related to this.

Relaxation, feeling comfortable, only comes from experience. Experience can only come from doing shows. All kinds of shows, including free ones.

My worst show, my best show, my greatest challenge, and my greatest reward all came in one show. In my youth, I was performing for about 30 children with Cerebral Palsy and I had no idea what to expect or any clue about Cerebral Palsy. All the expected audience participation never came, I pretended like someone said it. I got some reaction, a lot of strange sounds and noises. Compared to what I was use to, I though my show was an absolute flop. They didn't know it, but it just didn't go like it should. I keep smiling and pretended the expected reactions occurred. I modified my patter to fit the circumstance "on the run" since they couldn't walk and they were wheel chair bound, I had to do many of my participation tricks next to the kids, and they weren't doing it corrctly, so I ended up doing it for them as if they did it.

In the middle of my show, one of the kids screamed out what appeared to be "kadabra". It occured in the middle of another trick when it shouldn't. As soon as it happen, I quickly cut the patter and trick short, and appeared the silk between two other silks(20th century silks). I had to drop some tricks because there was no way it could be done with this audience. I actually was doing a show by the "seat of my pants" Just trying to flow with it.

When it was over, I thought for sure I would get a terrible testimonal on his one, however, so much happened I never picked up on. The parents came over me and thanked me, told me they never saw so much joy in their child eyes and body language. One parent told me the teenager who yelled out "kidabra" hadn't spoke for years! They were crying.

That show taught me a lot, I had a couple of dozen school shows under my belt at that time and after that show if something went wrong, I quickly reminded myself, it could be worse, and moved on to the next trick. Recovering from mistakes is also a learned skill, usually from trial and error. Always go with your heart and laugh it off, and move on! The opps start to diminish as skill increases. Nobodys, perfect the first time around. Just get out and do it and enjoy yourself.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Patter/Routine assistance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL