The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » DVD menu systems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BJ
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of BJ
These days DVD is the standard in producing magic videos.
One of the advantages of DVD is the menu system that offers easy access to tricks and easy navigation.

Which are the best menus systems you have seen?

Some DVDs these days are even being released with almost no menus at all!
MagicAces
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of MagicAces
I agree with what you said. The best production of a magic video that I've seen is Rodeny Reyes' The School of Hard Knocks. Look the other post about it.
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
725 Posts

Profile of ftlum
DVD menus---aaah. My new pet peeve.

I hope those people that make the DVDs read this thread and start fixing things. Some DVD menu structures are simply awful. Some make you click though submenus to get from performance to explanation. Others don't even place the cursor to the top of the menu on default.

I'm guessing that part of the problem in some cases is that the creator is using lousy menu generating software (generally all-in-one programs). You can get an idea of how the DVD was put together if you rip it to your hard drive and poke around the files.

Interestingly, you can also re-do the DVD contents yourself. For instance, with DVD X Copy you can get rid of annoying beginning Titles (the intro to the DVD that you can't skip). While this is generally not a problem, there are some authors that create incredibly long introduction segments that you're forced to sit through every time you watch the DVD. I don't think they thought much about the end-user.

I'm also working on trying to get rid of the annoying post-production audio on the Encyclopedia of Coin Magic videos. They keep re-running this music (a short loop, actually) for hours on end, and it makes you crazy after awhile. So far, I've been able to demux (separate) the audio from the video on my hard drive, and even isolated the problem audio. What I'm stuck on is trying to isolate the vocals. I tried inverting the problem audio waveform and mixing the tracks, but that didn't work. Perhaps someone knows how to isolate vocals in Soundforge?

Well, getting back to menus-- my personal preference is having a list of the performances on one side of the menu and explanations on the other side for ease of both viewing and clicking.

Just my two cents. (Next time, don't get me started! Smile )

-- Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » DVD menu systems (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL