The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What Trick Is This? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terryh_A
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Terryh_A
I recently saw a video of a magician (Chris Ramsay) performing what I thought was a version of card at any number but much farer. He asks a spectator to name a card aloud. At this point no cards are out it is a random selection from the mind of the spectator.

He then pulls out a deck of cards in the box and hands it to the spectator asking them to select a number between 0 and 25. (In another variation he asks a woman to spell her name).

He then asks them to deal the cards into his hand until they reach the number they chose. Once they reach that number they find that to be their card.

Does anyone know where this trick originated, what it's called, who or what books teach it?

Here is the link to the trick being performed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkLdx8p_8Fk
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
I think it's something that he has created himself or has heavily changed. But don't go too much by YouTube magic videos because they mostly have some preshow work done off camera or use editing tricks to make the trick look much better than it really is.
RMV
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of RMV
One that I have been doing that gets a similar reaction is https://www.jbtvusa.com/p/best-sellers/x-act-by-mike-kirby

Not quite the same thing, but has been pretty strong for me.
PaulPosition
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of PaulPosition
Save a few dollars or euros and when you get enough buy the Mnemonica book by Juan Tamariz. That's what Chris is using, weaving between the 'Mnemonicosis' trick from the book (like when he spells a name) and the ol' ACAAN concept. But I gotta tell you, you better be quick thinking because the trick works "perfectly" (see first instance from your video above) once in a while but rest of the time you have to 'jazz' it up and improvise a little (not that it makes the effect any less efficient, it just takes more work).
Vitas White
View Profile
New user
Boston
51 Posts

Profile of Vitas White
People are saying some pre-show work must have been done, but I don't know if I believe that. Chris Ramsay is a brilliant magician, and I've bought most of his tricks as well as his beautiful Memento Mori deck. This is one of his original creations, and he isn't selling it, but just experiment! Perhaps you could create a similar effect.
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it now. Boldness has genius, power, and magic at its core.
PaulPosition
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of PaulPosition
Pre-show work isn't necessarily bad form, but you're right that it wasn't required in Ramsay's trick above.

However, I'd say there's only about 1-in-52 chance this wasn't Tamariz's stuff from Mnemonica. Jazzed up by Chris - of course - because Mnemonicosis and/or ACAAN are a bit of an improv' thing, never coming out the exact same. -- Read the book and understand the odds I've given.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What Trick Is This? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL