The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comic drunk magi? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1928 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Just doing a bit of light research:

There's plenty of great physical comics who utilise the character of 'the drunk' for their comedy, but has this ever been combined with magic? It seems a difficult combination, but I'm interested Smile.

Am I right in thinking that cardini did a funny drunk card manipulation act? Are there others? Smile
ULockJustice
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
160 Posts

Profile of ULockJustice
Cardini's act was a drunk guy coming home at night. A very hoity toity well to do drunk guy, but nonetheless he was smashed.
This is the profile of Comedian + Magician Erik Tait. A self-promoting sleight of hand artist who thinks he is the cat's meow.

PM for beard tips.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
There was another fairly well known magician that did a "drunk act"...but I am struggling to remember his name (guess I shouldn't have had that vodka at lunch...LOL).

The character I am developing for my night club act is slightly inebriated...but I'm a nobody. My character is slightly less inebriated than the famous Foster Brooks.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
professortango
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of professortango
G Sparks does a lot of drunk acts with his magic. He has a routine called The Tipsy Waiter I believe.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I think an inebriated character works well for what I do. Some of my comedy magic relies on the "magician goofs up" premise...and the inebriation explains that away. Plus it just makes my responses to the audience that much funnier.

Someone once told me that I shouldn't do a drunk character, because it might offend those who are struggling with alcohol.

UMMMM....I work in bars.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7751 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YeahL! There was a guy, back in the '40s, who did a "tipsy" act. I can't remember, but, if I do, I,ll report back! I think it was AL, but, I can't think of a last name. I seem to remember that he used a lamp post, as a prop.

I never considered CARDINI, as "smashed". I thought that his character was that of a gentleman, who was "on the edge" of being drunk, but, not drunk. I think that the term, these days, is "BUZZED".

Naturally, you wouldn't book this type of act, at a AA meeting.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
noble1
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of noble1
The absolute BEST comedy magic drunk act was JIM CARAZINI who did his act everywhere from the Johnny Carson show to the Crazy Horse in Paris, Vegas, etc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comic drunk magi? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL