The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » The Ribbon Clock Time Machine (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Payner44
John, good move ordering one of these and I am happy to receive your presentation idea in my Inbox whenever you want to sent it my way! Smile

Steve
"I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why you're wrong!"
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
This is an astounding design for a cut and restore ribbon effect. The black and red model is perfect like it is. If you want it to resemble wood then wood infused PLA would be the way to go I would think. Don't see it mentioned that the black and red model has a clock wind up type removable key on the back to turn back time which I think was a great addition to this item. You can have it on the shelf set up ready to go if someone asks what's that and looks great on display. A perfect new design from a perfect new designer. Congrats on a simply fantastic looking and convincing new prop. Smile

Richard
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
lnlver
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of lnlver
I rate these cut-ribbon-and-restored tricks primarily on the basis of the length of the original ribbon to the length of the final ribbon. The closer they are to each other, the better the trick.

I have seen a few of these where the final ribbons turn out to be 30% longer than the original one, or so it seems to me.

But this is a top notch effect.
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
I agree that the ribbon lenght should be the same before and after, and that's true for this trick.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
That is a fantastic prop. As clever as any Tenyo trick. Beautifully designed and executed.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
goodingda
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of goodingda
The Ribbon Clock is, IMO, the best cut-n'-restored ribbon effect ever devised! The big innovation over Gerlitz's "Family Ties" is the elimination of the base, and the fact that the ribbon remains in-line as it runs thru all three pieces, not to mention the fact that the ribbon is wider and therefore more visible than "Family Ties". I have "Family Ties" and I don't think I will every use it again!

The only down side to this trick is the required set-up time. When I first got the prop, it took me well over 1/2 hour to set it up. I have since learned to set it up in 10 minutes with no fumbling around. There really is a learning curve to this, but it is well worth the investment as it is a killer effect!

Dave
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
Goodingda, you really put a smile on my face with that review, thanks! And regarding setup time, I think I've been down to around 5-6 minutes, but 10 minutes isn't too bad considering the effect when showing it to people, IMO.
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Payner44
5 minutes or less is about what it should take for set up and, as others have stated, we’ll worth the time!
"I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why you're wrong!"
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Finally had time to work with the Ribbon Clock on Sunday, Very cool prop! I will admit it took me awhile to get it working the first time but eventually worked everything out. Can see a 5 minute set-up being feasible now. Couple of shots below... I will be using a white ribbon as it fits my routine, also added some black velvet to the base of the pieces.

My routine is a little off the wall. The clock will be presented as an old souvenir piece commemorating the accidental plane crash death of Buddy Holly (early Rock and Roll icon) in 1959. The fact that the clock is in three pieces is perfect as along with Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The "Big Bopper" also tragically died in the plane. It was just the three of them and the pilot. At the time the Big Bopper had a hit called "Chantilly Lace"... the white ribbon represents a piece of Chantilly Lace holding them together. The clock is frozen at the time of the plane crash on February 3rd , 1959.

I will talk about how fans would love to go back in time and hear them sing again (turn the clock hand backwards)... I will then recite a few lyrics from Chantilly Lace as I pull the restored white ribbon from the clock. I may change the dial to incorporate an image of Buddy Holly to help set the mood.

Congrats on a great piece!

goodingda
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of goodingda
Thanks John for sharing your ideas. There are so many possibilities this prop!

I am still enamored by this trick! I am a mechanical engineer by profession, and so I took the clock to work the other day to show my co-workers. This is my ultimate test for a magic trick! These people are really smart and very hard to fool. No one could figure it out! Several people had bits and pieces of how it worked but no one had the complete solution.

What makes this trick such a fooler is that there are a number of principles working together. The odds of some one figuring everything out are nearly impossible. With most tricks, it's one, maybe two things that constitute the secret, so it is a whole lot easier to discover how it works.

Dave

that's the secret, and if you discover wh
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
I just happen to stumble upon this thread and I fell in love with The Ribbon Clock Time Machine - It was love at first sight. Smile
When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. - William Shakespeare

The Red-n-Black clock with its White dial looks so elegant but at the same time it's so mysterious in its working.

I straightaway shot a PM to John (J M Talbot) for his valuable advice and opinion on the prop. John promptly responded and gave me his green signal. I then PMed Mroek, the creator of this wonderful mind boggling prop, and I got a very favorable reply (lucky ME! Smile). THANK YOU Mroek.

I liked John's presentation idea. Also I liked his idea of fixing black velvet to the base of the prop. Thank you John for sharing your ideas.

I can see the future of this wonder clock - It will be a collector's PRIDE. Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Today I received the Ribbon Clock Time Machine (probably this was the last one available). It's a mind boggling prop.

The written as well as the video instructions are very nicely done. I had no problem in setting up the whole prop quickly. Threading of the ribbons was quite easy for me. Overall a very well thought out and produced prop. Works like a charm. IMO the 'Ribbon Clock Time Machine' is a magicians fooler. I believe, if one can fool a magician he can fool the world. I can very well visualize that a lot of time and effort has gone into building each prop, its highly labor intensive. Mroek has done great job including the 3D printing.

If one watches the demo video, you will notice that unlike many other versions of similar effect, in this version while restoring the ribbon, you don't have to hide the RIBBON at any stage during the course of the effect. This I feel is a good invention in itself.

Being into Magic for over half a century, thousands of effects/ props/ books etc. have passed through my hands - some good and some not so good. And I can say that this is one the BEST trick I own. The 'Ribbon Clock Time Machine' is one of my prized possessions and has a very prominent place in my Magic man-cave. The 'Ribbon Clock Time Machine' will be the PRIDE of any magic prop collector.

My thoughts on this wonder Ribbon Clock Time Machine.

Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Recently I and my family were on a short vacation (in the States). During our rip I got the opportunity to perform (as a test run) The Ribbon Clock Time Machine for a few family friends (that included three veteran magicians as well). The performance went very smoothly. This little marvel was designed and manufactured (using 3D Printing) by one of our Café members 'mroek'. I used mroek's patter with slight modification. The effect was quite baffling for all including the three veterans. The overall effect was perplexing and had a great impact on the small audience. They all went home with one question lingering in their minds - How’s that possible?

One of the magicians did mention that he had seen a similar prop but did not know its exact method/working (I have managed to keep the secret of the Ribbon Clock Time Machine safe with me). The prop in question was Sea-Ling’s Family Ties by Richard Gerlitz https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/cl......gerlitz/

For the lovers of good and beautiful magic, I highly recommend The Ribbon Clock Time Machine - it’s a Master Piece. As of now the wonder prop is no longer available, but in case, at a later date, IF it becomes available please grab one and you will be happy that you did.

Smile
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
Thank you very much for the kind words, Ustaad! I'm happy your performance went well! I've also been told by other buyers that this is a trick they really enjoy performing, and that they get good reactions from it!
lnlver
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of lnlver
I think I have figured out how this is accomplished. Whether or not I can build this is another question, but I'm working on it.
holbeny
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of holbeny
Where can I buy one?
Woodini
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Woodini
Very nice. I hope it is coming to a magic shop sometime soon.
martinsmagic
View Profile
New user
Spicewood, TX
61 Posts

Profile of martinsmagic
Here is a bunch of Ribbon Restorations on my site including the wonderful Ribbon Clock Time machine.
Martin's Magic Collection
The Largest Online Collection of Rare, Vintage, and New Magic!
magic11ryan
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of magic11ryan
Just found this beauty! Is there still a way to buy this?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I don't think so, but you can always try to PM creator mroek directly.

Those who managed to purchase one were very lucky, as since this offering he's made some incredible props but they all appear to be one-offs that he's making for himself. He's an incredible designer and craftsman, and I wish he would make his props available for sale. But alas, we'll simply need to admire from afar, and dream.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » The Ribbon Clock Time Machine (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL