The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cellini: The Royal Touch available PDF (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On May 1, 2018, tommeepickles wrote:
$60 for a PDF? That bytes.

I agree with everyone that this is probably the greatest single book on street performing there could be.

I also agree with you that $60 for a PDF... well, bytes!

Maybe after Christmas... assuming I have any money left.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2020, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
I have a hardcopy version of The Royal Touch. if someone is interested, let me know.

I’ll have a go, I’ll take it. PM me your price and it may take a few days but I’ll get you.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Sorry Eric. It was sold.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Here is a review of the book by Jamy Ian Swiss:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......ee-magic
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
^ "...grammatical tradjedies, spelling disasters,..." Smile

The illustrations alone are worth the price of the book. Ignore the typos. All books ( and reviews) have them.

I treasure my copy.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Swiss obviously has some concerns with buskers as a whole, I guess sometimes you have to look beyond the grammar and concentrate on the content. I do not have this book but I do have Dreamers Highway and return to it often.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2020, Maxyedid wrote:
Here is a review of the book by Jamy Ian Swiss:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......ee-magic

Tl:dr ... Jamy Ian Swiss, probably the most persnickety elite of all magic writers, gets all twisty on the much beloved Richard Sullivan (aka Cellini); orphan, dropout, street performer who spent his formative years of 15-18 in a youth prison, and derides his writing, his typos and the poor attributing/ crediting within his book.

Forgive me if I give Cellini a HARD pass on these faux pas' and concentrate on the material in general...

Quote:
"You can almost always pick out a street worker when you bring him inside into a theater—he's the one screaming and carrying on and beating the hell out of his audience like he's afraid they're going to walk out any second. There are very few performers who successfully make the transition from the streets to inside... Many of these acts never quite tame down enough to be around civilized company...

This is a triumph of style over substance. If you want to do street work, at least get your hands on the first 31 pages. If not, save your money for authors and publishers who show you, the buyer, a modicum of respect, and who don't insult your intelligence like some two-bit con man who smiles to your face and then picks your pocket as you pass him by. If you buy this book, check for the chalk mark on your back before you leave the store.

Yeah... Go ahead and blow me, Professor Swiss.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Just to stick the knife to Mr. Swiss a bit more -he goes on, at length, like a dummy, about "E.M' McFalls...

Quote:
The book is written in first person so we have no idea who E. M. McFalls is, or for that matter if he even exists as other than perhaps a nom de plume of Dick Sullivan, i.e., Cellini himself. Hence Cellini, as it were, describes his early experiences busking in Colorado...
... when even a cursory bit of research would have shown that this is, in fact, the "nom de plume" of (also very much self educated) author Eileen McFalls, who was Cellini's partner and fellow traveler for some years back in the day.

C'mon, Swiss, if you're not gonna give proper attribution where it's due you're a bit of a trash writer, aren't you?

PS- something tells that Cellini and Swiss weren't good buddies. Frankly, I doubt Swiss ever even met him. For him to use the very informal "Dick" (a name Cellini never went by as far as I know) is just rude, arrogant posturing in my opinion.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Gaddy, I don't think the level of vitriol you exhibit above is warranted. While I understand your viewpoint I don't appreciate your lack of respect for a fella you don't even know. Much like what you criticized Mr. Swiss for by not knowing details of E.M. McFalls. (Sidenote: when The Royal Touch was originally published there was virtually no internet. Finding out who E.M. McFalls was would have been a major pain).

Swiss was harsh to be sure, but there's no doubt there were a few problems with Cellini's book which laid it open to criticism. I don't think Swiss took the necessary time to understand the totality of Cellini's work after finding a few flaws and subsequently writing it off, but he's a critic, that's what they do. He called it as he saw it, and rendered his opinion in an honest and overall civil manner.

I'd hope the same from you.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Eric,

Thanks for your perspective. I respect your opinion and I appreciate that you took the time to call me to task on what you feel was unjust.

I thought I simply tempered my response to match Mr. Swiss.

I mean, Swiss basically called him a liar and a cheat, if not an outright thief (for not giving proper credit for effects) he also called him a... well, not a Richard.

He then implied that street performers weren't fit to be around civilized company, and went on further to suggest anyone who bought the book was a sucker!

Wow! That was a lot of trash talking for a simple book review... I might be reading too much into it, but his "compliments" regarding the illustrations even sounded rather back-handed as well...

I didn't find his tone to be civil at all, but I'll try to remember your sage advice in the future. Thanks.
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
I appreciate the civil discourse and respectful yet candid discussion of disagreements here. This is especially important and often forgotten when we are all on the same side. I wish the rest of this forum (and the world) would take note.
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
I read this book a couple of months ago and could barely set it down.
In fact I sent her a email thanking her for writing the book.
This was a very fun book for me to read do to the fact
that I had worked many of the places she talks about.

Now I loaned the book to my brother in law (that is not a Busker)
He did not enjoy it as much. So maybe you have to be a Busker to appreciate the writing.?

So my thoughts about Swiss’s review, yes it was harsh and I don’t agree.
He should hit the streets for a season and then give a review.

I would recommend the book to any open minded free spirited person.

Nickoli
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Hi, may I ask for your help regarding the cb crashcade gimmick referred to on page 178?
I have a rough idea of it from the routine description but would like to know more.
Thanks
VG
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2023, DrVG wrote:
Hi, may I ask for your help regarding the cb crashcade gimmick referred to on page 178?
I have a rough idea of it from the routine description but would like to know more.
Thanks
VG

Sure, tried to message you privately but the buttons gone.
What do you want to know? PM me if you can
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cellini: The Royal Touch available PDF (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL