The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Only 3 tricks for the rest of your life...what are they ? (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2225 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
25 years ago, when I was first getting my table hopping sets together and deciding on material, this was my favorite set:

1. Coin Matrix (with 2 dollar bills instead of cards) with jumbo coin finale.
2. Green Warp (I used one of the bills from the above routine and introduced a card to transition into card magic)
3. Invisible Deck

25 years later, after experimenting with many new gadgets and routines, I still favor this set. The only exception is substituting a Bill Switch instead of Green Warp. This would also satisfy Warren's requirement of the a third routine not being a card or coin trick.

Also, finding myself at large tables quite often, I’d do Linking Rings, a Rope Routine, and conclude with the Invisible Deck.

And for children I would never leave out Sponge Bunnies.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of David French
Multiplying bunnies
Card to ceiling
Chop cup
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
331 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
CMH with Touch as a finale.
Double Cross by Mark Southworth
52 to 1 by Wayne Fox
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3134 Posts

Profile of warren
Some great responses it's funny I've seen lots of posts with material that I was going to post myself Smile

Ken it's interesting that you should mention that your favourite set is almost exactly that same as the first one that you came up with 25 years ago, I find that what ever variation of an effect I put the time in to learn and work properly is the one I always end up going back to.

For example many years ago I learned the late great Daryl's 3fly 111 routine, I altered it a little to suit me better and I used to perform it all the time in both restaurant and corporate settings, I remember seeing a gimmicked 3fly effect that I think Bob Kohler put out and thought how much better this would be. So I paid quite a bit of money for it and even got stung with import tax when it arrived, long story short I sold it on very quickly as I preferred my original variation of Daryl's routine ..... I learned a valuable lesson though Smile
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
889 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
1 - My coin routine, 4 coin production, coins across, coins vanish with jumbo production

2 - Multidimensional

3 - Card to wallet, signed card having a different coloured back than rest of deck
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
980 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
If I could only do one trick, it would be two in the hand, one in the pocket. Not my favorite or even one I perform all that often, but for an any time, any where, with practically any props, it is hard to beat.

Hudson
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3134 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2018, 55Hudson wrote:
If I could only do one trick, it would be two in the hand, one in the pocket. Not my favorite or even one I perform all that often, but for an any time, any where, with practically any props, it is hard to beat.

Hudson

Whilst that didn't really answer the question properly I think that would make for a very interesting thread all on it's own ie If you could only do one trick what would it be...... that would be a hard decision.

thanks for your input Smile
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1723 Posts

Profile of wally
All Tabarys stuff, Ring and rope, No cards,
Jambo
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Jambo
Is it egotistical to say id perform my effect "sticker trick" ?
coin bending with signed coin
again egotistical but my bottle trick

3 effects I've done for years and never fail me
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8385 Posts

Profile of Mb217
This is such an interesting string, and fits so much in my "Less is More" thinking as to magic nowadays... Smile

- Coin trick: I have to pick my MB Transpo w/the Ringa Dinga...It is impromptu and presents one of the most visual changes there is. And is then followed up with something they just can't believe, right before their very eyes.

- Card trick: I'm a decent-at-best coin guy mostly but do enjoy cards some and think they are important to better closeup. With that, I would do one or the other of these: Twisting the Aces or A Little Ambitious (My ACR), or My Master Key Card Trick or Card Transpositions Soiree.

- Close-up: Nice to have something completely offbeat, and I would do either or, Sankey's Leaving Home or his, Holy Moly or, this is where I might do a little mentalism, Ulitimate Positive Negative.

*But if I had to pick a hard 3 here, it would be:

1 - The Mb Transpo

2 - Twisting the Aces

3 - Ultimate Positive Negative

I've been doing them for years, and these 3 just roll out of me so comfortably. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
980 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
My full list of three:

1) Red Hot Mama
2) CSB
3) Two in the hand, one in the pocket.

Hudson
RMV
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of RMV
1. Pom poms
2. Three ropes
3. Pointless
mr_misdirection
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of mr_misdirection
1) Professors Nightmare -. This was one of the first tricks I learnt to do from reading books and over the years I've gone from rope routines to jump leads to necklaces to barbed wire. It's just such a straightforward trick to handle yet the ideas for the routines and finales just do not stop.

2) Cup and Ball (Chop Cup) - This was the first item I actually paid for myself. There was no internet in those days so you saw a drawing, (yes a drawing not even a photo), of a cup and you paid your money and took your chances. As it turned out it was a Don Alan style cup with a wide mouth. I learned early on it could hold an orange that was much bigger than my hands. To my knowledge, to this day no one ever saw that orange loaded. Hence my username. My cup successfully got me through my first ever audition and over the years I've been asked to perform at parties with its final load producing house keys, engagement rings, Rolex and Omega watches and even the keys to a Bentley. It's like an old friend who never asks me for anything and never lets me down.

3) Signed Bill in Lemon, Tomato etc. The first time I ever performed this was at a family party when I was about 10 years old. I still remember my dads face when I burned his £20 note, or so he thought. Only to have it appear in a tomato. Still a closer on some occasions but I've progressed from Mark Wilson's method to having a note signed, destroyed and ending up in an item the spectator chose and has held from right after my opener. As a teenager I remember thinking about methods of how I could have the spectator hold the note and item at the same time, destroy the item themselves and then cut the item open to find the note without me handling them again after my opener. Then one day I realised that magic wasn't my only talent which enabled me to do this.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I'll play along. I don't do much table hopping, but I am thinking of adding it as an option for when I do my nightclub show in a restaurant. I do Professor's Nightmare (well, a version of it) as part of my comedy show, otherwise that would be great for table-hopping. Here is what I came up with (note that I do not do coins due to nerve damage in my hands...I can't feel if a palmed coin is still palmed or not...LOL):

1. Card to Wallet (Mullica version)
2. Sponge Balls/Bunnies (in place of the coins)
3. Rope and Ring Routine of some sort
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
jmagic
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of jmagic
Color Changing Knives for sure.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
ACR to wallet
Coins across
Ring on stick
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
ACR to wallet for me as well.

CSB since I'm not much of a coin guy and this is easy and gets great reactions

Sponge Bunnies- the people love it too much

Fun thread
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
PA
244 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
For me the 3 tricks would be:
Cards across
Wakling Handcuff escape
Mis-made bill
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3134 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2018, isaacfawlkes wrote:
For me the 3 tricks would be:
Cards across
Wakling Handcuff escape
Mis-made bill

Interesting list.....which version of cards across do you perform ?
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Stand up Monte
Ring String with Nest of Wallets finish
Fork bending
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Only 3 tricks for the rest of your life...what are they ? (31 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL