The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » MWCCM Forcing Question(s) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

willtupper
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of willtupper
This is probably a terribly dumb question. But I've wondered it for years, and if I don't ask, however will I learn?

The 6th chapter of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is on "Forcing a Card."

What is the difference, then, between a Force, and an entire Effect?

Like, couldn't any one of those Forces be scripted, then used, and turned into it's own moment?

Does (or can) script + presentation + force = effect?

Am I overthinking this? Or am I missing something (highly likely)?

Thank you for your time!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Will~!

Good question! It is generally wise to insert a bit of "presentation" between the FORCE, and, for example, the REVELATION of the card.

A FORCE, is the physical, or mental control of a selection of a number, a color, or a playing card etc.

The EFFECT (magically speaking) is "what the spectator perceives".

So! the separation of the cause (force) and the effect (revelation of the card, color, or number, will of course strengthen the EFFECT, that the spectator perceives.

d

The FORCE + a good PRESENTATION produces an ENTERTAINING EFFECT!

Of course, a card, number, or color FORCE is not the only way to produce an EFFECT.

Showing a box, empty, plus a good presentation, then showing the box full of silks, could result in an entertaining effect, too.

I hope this is helpful.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
willtupper
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of willtupper
Thanks, Mr. Oslund. I think I was a bit hung-up on the terminology. What meant what, what went where, etc.

This is (as you are, always) incredibly helpful.

Hope all is well for you & yours in the U.P.!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » MWCCM Forcing Question(s) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL