The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ultimate Sharpie Holder (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
matt-g
View Profile
New user
Essex. England
79 Posts

Profile of matt-g
Hi all
Just wanted to let you know about my new release which some of you may find a useful tool.

If you perform with Double Cross by Mark Southworth, Super Sharpie by Magic Smith, Mental Pen by Joao Miranda and many more effects using a Sharpie then this could assist you greatly with streamlining your performance.

I wanted to be able to access my Sharpie gimmicks with ease at any time in my performance so I came up with the Ultimate Sharpie Holder
It’s an ideal way to keep your gimmick clipped at the top edge of your pocket so you can access it at any time during your performance to load and unload your gimmicks.

It’s not a new effect but merely a holdout to make your performances a little easier for some. It also keep any sharpie with putty or sticky pads or magnets on them away from other gimmicks in your pocket.

Hope you like it and find a use for it. Many magicians and big names in the UK are now using this as a holdout in their performers when we released the initial batch over a month ago. I’m pleased to say it’s now avaible in the USA with world wide shipping avaible also.

Please check it out
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/9795

Have a good day
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Oh boy can’t wait to get mines!

Congrats for the release, very very useful Smile

Will give my opinion/review after some usage.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4305 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Does it come with one or two sharpie holders?
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
matt-g
View Profile
New user
Essex. England
79 Posts

Profile of matt-g
Hi Lseeyou I’m sure you will find it very useful. Since it’s release in the UK I’m receiving more messages from magicians letting me know all the different Sharpie Gimmicks they are finding it perfect to use with.

Hi Magicinsight the Penguin Price is for one unit.

Each unit is fitted with a friction strip so should the performer lean forwards for example this prevent the sharpie sliding out the holder and falling onto the floor or table. We include two extra friction strips to make the holder adaptable for both ends of the sharpie depending on which way you need to put your gimmick into the holder
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
So then $20 to hold only one Sharpie.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
@EZrhythm one time payment to have 2 or 3 sharpies organized well worth!

If you are a worker you know the hassle of having Smoke, Double Cross and Super Sharpie on you.

Great idea!
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
EZrhythm is a known troll. Please don’t feed her.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of elimagic
I wish there was a version that help 2-3 sharpies.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2018, Lseeyou wrote:
@EZrhythm one time payment to have 2 or 3 sharpies organized well worth!

If you are a worker you know the hassle of having Smoke, Double Cross and Super Sharpie on you.

Great idea!

If you are a worker you know that you can hot glue some material of choice together, add some neo magnets and hold all the sharpies and effects you desire.

For $20 this should have at least been made to hold three pens.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2018, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
EZrhythm is a known troll. Please don’t feed her.

Smile
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Is this available in the UK ?
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
I took the plunge and ordered one yesterday. Hopefully, I will find it to be useful during my strolling work. I'll certainly report back soon with my findings.
matt-g
View Profile
New user
Essex. England
79 Posts

Profile of matt-g
Hi Martin.Lester - Currently it’s only available through penguin magic however I have spoke to them about uk delivery options and will feed back to you shortly.

Hi Jared - Do you mind if I ask what effect you plan on using this with? Purely for my own curiosity as the list is growing of different gimmicks people are using this with. I’m so pleased that magicians are finding it useful. Feel free to pm me
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Doesn't every Sharpie already have a clip built into the cap for this exact purpose?
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Not every "sharpie" has a clip. Viewing the video demo better reveals how it is quite useful. Too bad it doesn't come with the ability to hold three pens and the option to have it magnetically held in place. I would consider it if I could hols a sharpie a gimmicked sharpie and something like Misled or a Pen-thru gimmick. Maybe Matt will come out with a 3.0 version for three pens.

Right now I use a small clip-on cell phone case. With added foam it could hold every "pen" I have if I desired. It will also hold thumb tips, rubber bands, coins, etc.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Sharpies do have a built-in clip but the gaffs on these markers are on the opposite (non-cap)end. But the main reason that I ordered one is so I can find my gaffed Sharpie's easily inside my jacket pocket without fumbling and by feel alone. I'm not convinced (yet) that this device will make the mechanics of these gaffed Sharpies any easier. But for finding a gaffed marker quickly and naturally this holder might be useful.

Matt-g: I'm going to try this with Double-Cross, Super Sharpie, and Sharp Shot (by Taiwan Ben).
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
These are $1.79 each

If you wear a jacket – you just put the clip on the inside jacket pocket

So three would be less than $6

The $1.79 original version Sharpie Holster – seems better engineered [but then it’s aimed at a bigger market and so you’d expect that]

I guess the main difference is, with the Sharpie Holster <unless you don’t lock it> you are only getting the pen and not the cap. This has advantages, you no longer have to take the cap off – or put it on… now you can swivel it so the cap comes out too – or don’t have the cap locked, so it comes out as well… so you can choose, but it’s designed [in its best operation] to give you just the pen without it’s cap.

As the Ultimate Sharpie Holder gives you the whole pen [with cap] – which may be an advantage… as you may want the cap as a distraction or to justify some move.

Unless I’m missing something…. The ultimate sharpie holder is in fact the original the Sharpie Holster… For the money – the Sharpie Holster seems a steal, and better designed [in my opinion]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpio_HBhRiM

http://www.true32.com/Sharpie-Holster_p_1394.html
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Well there we go! It appears you can choose whether to have the holster retain the cap or not. Great find, Duster!
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Would this work with the "Quantum Bender 3"?
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
matt-g
View Profile
New user
Essex. England
79 Posts

Profile of matt-g
Hey The Duster. I hadn't seen those before but I can't deny it I'm really impressed by the design.
Like you say there are few comparisons between their unit and ours the first being the price.

We do not mass produce these hence only selecting one retailer to pass them onto the public. Each one is 3d printer in high quality which means it takes an hour and 45 minutes to print and prepare each one. And obviously selling through a retailer also as opposed to direct is always going to increase the cost as they have overheads.

Design wise whilst I love their design here is a few things we had to take into consideration when designing ours. (bare in mind 20 prototypes were made and tweaked to get to the final design)
And PLEASE note I'm not bashing their design these are simply what we had to factor in when making these for working magicians. From a designers point of view I love theirs.

We needed the performers actions to look as natural as possible to load and unload the stamper and indeed when removing the pen so we had the pen sunk down so only a couple of centimetres sit above the pocket line. My concern with theirs is if you had it clipped in your pocket the end of the pen with the stamper would sit high up inside your jacket and wouldn't have the natural look of reaching to your pocket, you would be reaching up in your jacket much higher. Then also when removing the pen from the holder you need to pull it higher to clear the holder which again takes you towards the shoulder point.

With the black putty/sticky stuff always getting on my other gimmicks in the pocket it also became a concern for me that we had to keep it away from the performers shirt so the USH clip acts as a barrier keeping the distance between the shirt and the putty/sticky stuff. With their design and the position of the end of the pen, the black putty/sticky end would be pushed against the shirt by the jacket.
This would then also couple to the fact the natural way to hold the jacket to replace the stamper at pocket level verses reaching up high into the jacket, the higher up in the jacket (depending on the jacket fit) the space between jacket and shirt is reduced so navigating the stamper back onto the pen could result in the ink getting on your shirt. Now also factor in when removing the stamper there is ink residue around the top of the pen that will be pushed against your shirt.

I designed my USH to be positioned at the front of the pocket toward the opening of your jacket. By having it low positioned in the pocket you are able to easily reach over the holder to access other items in your pocket. If you were to place their holder at the front with it sticking so high out of the pocket your hand now needs to navigate either in front or behind the pen, now if you don't clip the cap in on their design is there then the fact that pulling a deck of cards from the pocket (or other items) you run the risk of pulling the pen with it as your hand comes out and catches the pen, or the item you are removing catches the pen pulling it from the holder. You can of course clip the pen in place with theirs, however we found from testing a number of sharpies that some had a very loose lid fit and therefore if you attempt to twist the pen to unclip it surely it would simply spin in place. Again I could be wrong as I haven't tested theirs but from testing many or our prototypes we had to increase the mouth of ours to allow for lose fitting lids. In some of our early designs if the fit was too tight many pens ended up coming our of the holder minus the lid which is why we opted for a loser fit and the included the friction strips.

A work around to their design would be to clip their holder to a piece of card and have it sit low in the pocket, which is ideal for loading and unloading the stampers/writers but when it comes to removing and replacing the pen you will be very hit and miss on getting it back into the holder and you have no visual/or feel of where the opening is to return the pen back in place. You can just pop the pen back in your pocket but then you run the risk of the putty getting back onto other gimmicks which negates the use. With my design it is easy by feel to place the sharpie against the flat surface and slide it down straight into the holder with no fumbling.

With ours you can use either end of the pen so useful for different gimmicks suck as 'Mental pen', with theirs there is nothing protecting the top end of the pen so I'd be pretty confident with natural body movement/friction of movement the pen would fall from the holder.

Again I'm not knocking their design at all as in general use it is a fantastic sharpie holder. Ours has been specifically designed factoring in all the above for the working performer and with 150 plus users in the UK including celeb magicians we have had some great feedback from it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ultimate Sharpie Holder (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL