The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Other things to add to magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

L7
View Profile
New user
NSW, Australia
49 Posts

Profile of L7
Before getting into magic I did a... artform Smile called Contact Juggling
some of you have probably heard of it
its where I take a ball and roll it around my body
alot of people see this as magical

is contact juggling suitable to add with magic?
what else is there that could be added in?
-L7
Lifes a hole.. Dig it
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
You Bet! Most any form of entertainment (in my opinion) is suitable to add to a magic act. After all, I believe the end result should be entertainment for the audience. Do what you do best and enjoy the performing of it and I think your audience will get as much fun out of it as you do.
I have heard the term Contact Juggling but I have never seen it done. I would love to see a performance of Contact Juggling.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Agree, same goes for bartender flaring, it's just as entertaining as most magic, it's very similar when it comes to audience participation and receiving stunning reactions.
The combination can be to much some times though:)

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
If you've never seen the Labyrinth, David Bowie's character does some contact juggling. I'm fairly certain it's someone else's hands though. But it looks neat. As far as adding it to magic, I say go for it. It's like throwing a card flourish in between a few effects. If you have a ball routine, why not throw in a few moves.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I agree, it's all about spicing up your act to make it stand out. And I imagine that not many people can do contact juggling AND magic, so I'll bet your act will kick butt!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I have heard of people creating magical effects using the contact juggling moves. It is excellent misdirection for other magical effects, and it is downright magical looking and entertaining by itself. It seems to me that it could definitely be a key piece to your act.

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Mxn
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Mxn
Oh man...this thing that you do with the ball will add to your own flourish when you perform in front of people...
dogwood86
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of dogwood86
Hopefully matt puglisi will post here, he mentioned in another post that he uses contact juggling as part of his act. At PCAM this summer, Reed Mclintock would often warm up and had some really neat moves. Search it up, it may suprise you, but it's been talked about here before...

man the Café is cutting edge...or is this not cutting edge?
L7
View Profile
New user
NSW, Australia
49 Posts

Profile of L7
The hands of david bowie in the labyrinth are Michael Moschen`s hands
he is a visual artist in juggling and stuff
amazing character so I hear

I can do a few magical movements in contact juggling, but not many
its so funy though Smile
-L7
Lifes a hole.. Dig it
flowJuggler
View Profile
New user
East Coast USA
71 Posts

Profile of flowJuggler
Contact juggling is definitely a show stopper. Although I haven't yet incorporated into my act, I do a bit of it in practice. It is beautiful, magical, and EXCELLENT misdirection if there is something you want to do with the other hand.

I have been trying to figure out a justification for bringing out the ball in my act. Most times jugglers use clear acrylic balls for this purpose and they most obviously remind one of a crystal ball. Perhaps very good tie-in for a mentalism act, but I haven't developed a relationship with the prop that suggests why I would use it. If you want to see a picture of these beautiful balls, visit http://www.dube.com or http://www.renegadejuggling.com and follow links for acrylic or contact juggling balls. They also stock a great book for learning these moves...Contact Juggling by James Earnest.

The Michael Moschen Video that was mentioned above is available and sometimes aired on PBS...it is part of the Great Performances Series. I would highly recommend checking it out as you get to see him manipulate a variety of objects in magical ways, and even more interesting, learn about his process for discovering new methods of maniputation.

Well...maybe not a show stopper as I haven't actually put it into a formal routine in a show...but when I do it and people see it, they do take notice.
Über goodest signature ever.
VarietyArtsBlog.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Contact Juggling is WONDERFUL to add to magic. It acts as amazing misdirection and causes wonder to all who witnesses the act. Excellent choice to add it in your magic act. I would suggest using clear acrylics.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
magicalphil
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of magicalphil
I often perform a chop cup routine and when I finish by making a tennis ball appear from under the cup I usually do a bit of contact juggling for the 'grand finale'.
TheHungryMagician
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TheHungryMagician
Put a little contact juggling into your act by using it for a card trick. I don't have any ideas yet, but I'll think about how to combine the two.
Forever starving,
Smile Hungry Smile
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
You could implant a card into an acrylic ball and utilize that into a card trick.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
TheHungryMagician
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TheHungryMagician
Quote:
On 2004-05-16 18:09, Astinus wrote:
You could implant a card into an acrylic ball and utilize that into a card trick.

I was thinking more of a patter relationship, like how the balls "charge up" your deck's potential or something.
Forever starving,
Smile Hungry Smile
astoundingbruce
View Profile
Regular user
Burlington, WI (USA)
127 Posts

Profile of astoundingbruce
I ALWAYS include a routine in my stage show that is NOT magic! I juggle balls and clubs, as well as contact juggling. I also do balloon sculpture (not good for a stage show unless I can make a balloon for everyone afterwards!).Smile

For contact juggling, I use a chrome-plated steel ball (available at http://www.dube.com/). I am trying to figure out how to start with the contact juggling ball, then switch to a zombie ball. Perhaps under cover of the foulard? Anyone think I'd need a black art well? Or maybe an old-fashioned servante? Anyway, it's something I'm working on.
“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle
rden
View Profile
New user
Sugar Land, Texas
75 Posts

Profile of rden
I think switching from contact juggling to a zombie would be most excellent. During the contact juggling portion, the ball is established as just a ball yet it is seen to do more than a ball normally would do, even though what it does is still within the realm of physics (if only just barely). Then, the ball breaks free from physical boundaries and does the impossible. Awesome.

I wish you the best in your quest for this.
Hans DeJong
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Hans DeJong
In one talent show, I included both magic and juggling: It worked great. I first made my juggling assistant appear using giant cardboard boxes (An excellent method is in Mark wilsons books) and then juggled with sink plungers. My assistant couldn't juggle, so he imitated me, juggling air (i.e. no balls) and then tried to disrupt my juggling by throwing balls into my 5 ball cascade. The audience found it very funny. You can also make juggling balls appear from a egg bag or from a square circle.

I better start learning contact juggling...
Count Elmsley
View Profile
New user
Lincoln UK
66 Posts

Profile of Count Elmsley
Wow! - Have you given me an idea!

Spotted sets of boules here in the Uk some weeks ago.

They are very visually bright metallised balls with a finish that looks like chrome-plating.

Was racking my brains trying to think of a way to use them in magic. - Now I know! - Got to get some practice in.
Alan
Mister Wizzy
superhiro
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of superhiro
I have never seen contact juggling before and would love to see it one day. I borrowed a book on it along with ordinary juggling but only tried juggling balls. I always thought learning to juggle balls will still be impressive one day.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Other things to add to magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL