The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » What is this string effect called? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I was recently shown a trick with a piece of string knotted at each end, with a bead positioned near the end. I tried it at the time, and have forgotten how to do it! Can't even remember the details other than the ends were brought together, (switched, maybe)and then separated, showing the bead in an impossible position. (I think). I've had a hunt around on Youtube, but nothing there.. A bit vague, I know, but it's worth asking round. It was exceptionally deceptive, and I'd like to re-learn it!

Thanks in advance..

DCb
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
John Oaks
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of John Oaks
Don't know it but sounds interesting enough.
Have a Magical Day!
------

I really didn't know how to explain it.
So I told them the truth, and they fell for it!
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
If you're thinking of the one with two sliding beads, it's in NicK Einhorn's book The Art of Magic under the title "String through Arm".

Barry
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Could someone describe the effect?

JL
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
If it's the one I'm thinking of, a string passes through a solid object - an arm, leg, chair back or similar.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On May 11, 2018, mindmagic wrote:
If you're thinking of the one with two sliding beads, it's in NicK Einhorn's book The Art of Magic under the title "String through Arm".

Barry

Sounds like this to me also.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On May 12, 2018, warren wrote:
Quote:
On May 11, 2018, mindmagic wrote:

Barry

Sounds like this to me also.

Well as long as deadCats is not responding, maybe its time to tell some 100 uses for a dead cat jokes? Sorry, wrong forum.

I also suspect that this is a penetration effect, possibly "A twist Through The Wrist" as in Bruce Elliot's "The Best in Magic" which used paper clips, instead of the beads (to slide along the string)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On May 12, 2018, John Long wrote:

I also suspect that this is a penetration effect, possibly "A twist Through The Wrist" as in Bruce Elliot's "The Best in Magic" which used paper clips, instead of the beads (to slide along the string)

Yes, this is the same effect.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Sounds like jeff McBrides
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Apologies for the delay in responding, all.. no excuses - forgot all about it, and have been busy working away from home..

Sounds like it could be one of those mentioned, but I've not checked them out yet.. Here's the effect. It's a little quickie, but it had me baffled. Still has, cos I can't remember how it was done. However, now that I'm back home, and have the item in my hands, let me describe.. it's simply a string, with two tubular beads. String is knotted at both ends, so the beads aren't removable. Speccy holds up a finger and the string is held between the performers hands, then passed around the finger (apparently) and then a tug removes the string from the finger.

Sounds like Mindmagic's description. When I enquired about this in May, I'd forgotten about the snagging the finger and release part of the effect. It's a bit late now, and I've had a tiring day .. so I'll give it a go in the next day or two and try and figure it out. I'll probably wind up buying the Nick Einhorn book - all his material is good value.
Thanks all of you who chipped in - I appreciate your assistance!

DCB
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Here we go... Now.. I'm of to bed.. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtgvOpav__Y

Thanks again, all..

DCB
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Sounds a bit like McBride's Ritual of Liberation. A solid cord (often worn as a bracelet) with a bead at each end passes through a solid object (e.g., a spectator's finger).
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Sounds like you answered your own question.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Looks like I did - but without the hint - "string through arm" - I was struggling!

DCB
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » What is this string effect called? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL