The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Puppets Performing Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
... and Mentalism.

I've been playing around with ideas for my vent-style puppets performing magic. I've considered putting magnets in their hands so that they could do some coin tricks, and have been playing around with an arm rod that can also control a change bag.

One of my puppets will also be doing tarot readings (online). I own a lot of magic props that never quite worked for me but may work well with a puppet. Such as inserting a device to detect magnets in the puppet hand and clipping the receiver on my belt. There are quite a lot of self working mental magic that I can have them perform online, but I'm looking for things that will work in a live setting. I'm a one man show so everthing has to be manipulated by my non-dominant hand via an armrod.

Any ideas?
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
You have some interesting ideas. I can't offer much because I mostly just do vent routines with the figures, although I do a comedy mind reading routine with my boy figure. Steve Taylor has a DVD called Fooling Your Dummy that has a lot of good suggestions.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Thanks, even for the live events I'll be utilizing a shadow box/booth with the background and myself covered with Duvetyne.

I have no Vent skills.

With a little practice I could probably operate a mirror box with a puppet arm.
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Sounds good. I had no vent skills when I saw the Magic Drawing Board. I liked it so much I bought it thinking I'd perform using the AxTrax recordings, but I didn't like the inflexibility of a recording. So I dove in and studied vent. I'm glad I did. It's a lot of fun and goes over well. But non-vent puppet routines also go over well. I have several friends who get a great response from non-vent puppet routines.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
I have played with the idea of puppets doing magic a lot..
The thing about puppets is that they don’t have the same restraints as people..
so that helps with method a lot.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Constraints, not restraints - haha..
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I remember I had a book by Col. Bill Boley on Magic with Puppets. Great ideas there.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
I have a puppet, Hesteni, who does card tricks and some mentalism. Had to learn how to force a card from a deck with one hand.
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Mike, I found a great mind reading routine for my puppet, Hesteni. It is a book of quotes that the volunteer assists by giving a number from 1-9. Then you have another volunteer give another number between 1-9. You can put the numbers together to get a two digit number and have the first volunteer keep that one or reverse it.

Then, you hand them the Little Book of Quotes and turn to that # quote, read it silently and you tell them a word that is in that quote. They will never figure out how it was done.

My puppet will do all the talking. Here is a link to it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1980520232/ref......bMYRX750
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
What age group are you performing for?
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, jakeg wrote:
What age group are you performing for?

Mixed. It's for a video channel. Mostly aimed at teens/adults, but there will be no live performances at this time.

It will be an Axtell vent puppet who will be doing a few magic tricks along with Tarot card readings.
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
Did you ever try out the Book of Quotes - book test?
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

James Munton's Little Book Of Quotes is a nice effect, but will not work in video.

It's excellent in a parlor setting though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Puppets Performing Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL