The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What are some concealments I can practice while I go about my day? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GreatPrestige
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
5 Posts

Profile of GreatPrestige
So, I've spent the last week or so walking around work with a Kennedy half dollar Classic Palmed in each hand just to get the hang of the hold. Are there any other useful coin concealments people can recommend that will be mostly unobtrusive to other activities?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
The ability to move a coin from one palming position to another is ideal, especial if done with natural hand and body movements.
More exciting is the ability to transfer the coin from one hand to another secretly using the same movements.
Thus, you should be able to have a coin concealed while eating, shaving, making change, shaking hands, etc - showing one hand completely empty,
then the other at a later time -- all with the same motions employed if you had no coin.

You are on the right track by referring to "concealment' rather than "palming." Think, having a coin unknown to the audience to be instantly available and under control. The thrill is taking that coin through a dozen different locations, postures and positions without even thinking about it. And not just coins - any small object. And I can't do a Classic Palm.

I can these techniques "Sway Methods," but, alas. no one seems to what to put in the practice to learn them. Took me 20 years, so I am not surprised. Plus, there is nothing to take a video of since you will be walking around all day just doing normal things with your hands and body, and y9u would never want to repeat the same sequence of moves anyway. I ma open to discuss such things one-on-one. Tough to do.

Just trying to encourage you on this path.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
The first thing I learner when starting out with coins was the coin roll. This is a flourish, not a concealment. I believe it helped my hands to become accustomed to handling the coins. The control needed to do the roll is very helpful with all the other sleights. When you do the roll, you can then put it into finger palm. Roll again put it into classic palm, next thumb palm. Roll it again, now put between index and middle fingers, put it in Down's palm. Wiggle your fingers while in Down's. Then pull it out and lever it into view. Then start over. These exercises will help you tremendously. After a couple months, they will become almost automatic. This really helped me. Good luck.
GreatPrestige
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
5 Posts

Profile of GreatPrestige
Quote:
On May 14, 2018, Signet wrote:
The first thing I learner when starting out with coins was the coin roll. This is a flourish, not a concealment. I believe it helped my hands to become accustomed to handling the coins. The control needed to do the roll is very helpful with all the other sleights. When you do the roll, you can then put it into finger palm. Roll again put it into classic palm, next thumb palm. Roll it again, now put between index and middle fingers, put it in Down's palm. Wiggle your fingers while in Down's. Then pull it out and lever it into view. Then start over. These exercises will help you tremendously. After a couple months, they will become almost automatic. This really helped me. Good luck.

That's actually great to hear. I've been working on my coin roll just because it's fun, but I kinda wondered if my time would be better spent working on other things at this point. It's good to see someone who thinks it's useful to learn early on.
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
I was not planning on starting coin magic yet since I am concentrating on working through RRTCM and working the cups and balls. However after reading this thread I started bringing a coin with me to work to begin manipulating while I am doing other tasks and working on my finger dexterity. The coin roll currently makes me feel like I have all thumbs. I have quite a bit of work yet to do.
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
When I got interested in magic in the fall of 2016, I was at a tough time in my life. Truth be told, I think I. was on the verge of a breakdown. I had so much stress in my life. It was literally making me sick. I spent that summer going from doctor to doctor. They did all these tests and they couldn't find anything wrong. They said it was the stress of taking care of my father, who had just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I found out about a magic shop in the closest city to me. Then I saw videos of guys doing amazing things with coins. No gimmicks. Just their hands and the coins. It's like a beautiful dance of the fingers. It's one of the most difficult things you can learn. It takes all your concentration. This is what I needed. I cleared my mind of all stressful things to concentrate on the coins. The roll became therapy for me. It took me to another place. Magic saved me! God bless magic.
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
Thank you for sharing that Signet. I am going through a similar experience with my mother being in the hospital. Right now reading my magic books and practicing is keeping me sane through the ordeal.
OzTheMentalist
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of OzTheMentalist
You can practice classic palm, thumb palm, coin rolling, backpalming, muscle pass, etc.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Dear Signet,

Like ActionJack, I was touched by your story. I'm an intermediate-level pianist (and plan to stay at that level for the rest of my life Smile ). I find that piano serves the same purpose that magic did for you: I love practicing, even scales, and it's nearly impossible to think about anything else while I'm playing because it takes so much concentration to do the five or six things at once that are required to play. (And, even at my level, there are beautiful pieces that help me express whatever worries or problems I'm dealing with -- very cathartic.)

Magic plays a similar role for me.

Best of luck with your father. My grandmother had alzheimers; it was really hard to watch a once warm, intelligent woman succumb. So I feel for you.

Best wishes,

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
To GreatPrestige:. On a more positive note, everything I do in piano helps me do other piano things better. Although I don't have a lot of experience with magic yet, I'm far enough along to see the same is true of magic. Like what Signet said about the coin roll.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What are some concealments I can practice while I go about my day? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL