The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Jail Break (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
WOW!!!

Clyde, you have done it again! This sounds awsome. With all this talk of jail breaks, are there any books on the subject?

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Here goes the correct Link Pastor Clyde tryed posting.

Click Here!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Ian McColl has written some excellent books on jail door locks. These are being marketed by Cannon's Great Escapes.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Writing one at the moment - everything that David DeVal didn't tell you. Smile

Should be finished October/November.

Riley

Clyde . . about that crowd who'll be picnic-ing on the lawn as they did before a hanging... is there anything they haven't told you?????? Smile
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Keep us posted Riley.

Steve
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
When do you expect the book to be ready Riley?

And thanks Stephen, I should've known to look at Cannons.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Anytime, Roslyn.

Steve
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I've just had a look at the McColl booklet on the Cannons site. I don't suppose any of you know what era it covers?

I get the impression that it covers later versions of escaping from jails, rather than modern day jails. If this is true is there anything on a modern jail escape?

If not, could this be something to add to the new book Riley?

Thanks,

Roslyn
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Roslyn, My two books on prison locks cover methodogy of picking them or making a key from an impression, the lock that the book shows pictures and photos of is a Folger Adams (still used today) The information is relevant to all locks but does not cover where to conceal any tools. If you have lateral mind and good hand skills ( hacksaw and file) then I would recommend my books, if you don't, I would suggest waiting for Riley's book on escape methods but you will still need tools. (which you or someone else will have to make)

regards

Ian
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
My book will be the result of long conversations with the late David DeVal and will include material we didn't put in his book, at his request.

However, David's book ("Cell Escape - the real secret") covered cells he escaped from in the early 1980's, and they were old cells/locks from the Houdini era (c.1904) that had "escaped" modernisation or refurbishment. Most of these have since been demolished. A great book, by the way, Try to get a copy if you can.

My book covers technique for contemporary UK cells, including the Houdini/DeVal correct tools concealment method. This was not explained in David's book. The principles can also be used for escape from most other cells, whether current or museum cells. My book does NOT cover "lockpicking" - see Ian McColl's material for this. What it does include is the psychology and misdirection of the concealment and the search. Houdini used no assistance for his UK cell escapes, and the only cuffs used were not his own.

The book will not be too technical, but will contain a lot of what Houdini called "art and practice". As far as I know, there is no other book like it available at the present time.

I would also recommend Ian McColl's works on the subject of cell locks. Everything I've had from Ian is world class!

David was aware I would be writing this book one day. I didn't expect it to be so soon.

By the way, if you want to see the current UK cell lock, the main subject of my book, look at:

http://www.clcsltd.co.uk/cell_locks.htm

Regards

Riley
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
I have both of Ian's books on prison locks and they are awesome and definitely a must have item. I also have David Deval's book and it is very good but I certainly am looking forward to Riley's work on the subject.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

I might also point out that most of these escapes involve either simple holding cells, as found in small jails, or older jails (mostly those that have been converted into police or prison museums) that have keylocks in the cell doors, such as the Folger Adam.

Modern 'prison' cells, as used in major penitentiaries, are often electronically controlled, locking (and sometimes even closing) via a control panel at the block guard station. The classic Houdini methods cannot be used on those.

Steve
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Hehehe Riley, I hope they have told me everything! Smile

As to materials, I am developing a DVD on this breakout and it will be available afterwards. It will not be an exhaustive view of prision breaks but rather the process I used on this particular type of locking mechanism, the process of developing the escape, getting permission, tools, etc. I look forward to Riley's book for the overview! Smile
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Hi All,
Just want to share the following Poem with you. It was submitted to me by the author, U.K. Escape Artist, Weasel Dandaw (The Billy Idol of Escapology). Certainly NO lack of talent amongst Us!

THE JAIL BREAK

THE AMAZING CINDINI WITH HER LONG FLOWING MANE
WAS SITTING AT HOME WHEN A CHALLENGE THERE CAME

COULD SHE SUCEED IN A WESTERN JAIL BREAK
IT WAS A CHALLENGE, SHE KNEW SHE WOULD TAKE

THE ESCAPE IT SEEMED WAS ALREADY ARRANGED
SHE WOULD BE LOCKED IN A JAIL CELL, HANDCUFFED AND CHAINED

REFUSAL AND FAILURE DIDN’T ENTER HER HEAD
SO WITH IDEA’S IN MIND SHE WENT OFF TO BED

IN THE MORNING SHE AWOKE, THE PLAN FELL INTO PLACE
A GLINT IN HER EYE, A SMILE ON HER FACE

SO OFF TO THE JAIL TO SEE WHAT SHE’D NEED
THE EMPHASIS ON SUCCESS AND NOT ON SPEED

SHE DECIDED SHE’D NEED AT LEAST ONE BACK-UP PLAN
WHEN OVER HER SHOULDER A VOICE SAID, “HI MAM”

A TALL SLIM FIGURE HIS HAIR ALL SANDY
HE INTRODUCED HIMSELF AS SHERIFF RANDY

HE TOLD HER ON FAILURE SHE WOULD HAVE TO SETTLE
FOR HIS CELL WAS MADE OF THE STRONGEST OF METAL

SO CAME THE DAY AND SHE ENTERED THE JAIL
WITH TWO EAGER WITNESSES HOT ON HER TAIL

THEY CHECKED OUT THE HANDCUFFS, THEY CHECKED THE WAIST CHAIN
A CRY OF, “NO WAY OUT!” FROM ONE MAN THERE CAME

SO WITH THAT SHE WAS LEFT IN THE JAIL CELL ALONE
TO THE AMAZING CINDINI IT WAS HOME FROM HOME

SHE STRUGGLED AND WRIGGLED THEN STRUGGLED SOME MORE
THEN FINALLY WITH A “YEEEE HAAAA” SHE BURST THROUGH THE DOOR

SO THAT IS THE STORY OF CINDINI’S JAIL BREAK
TO THIS DAY HER TOUGHEST ESCAPE

AS TO HOW SHE DID IT, YOU KNOW FINE WELL
MY LIPS ARE SEALED, I WILL NOT TELL
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hey great poem Weasel. Thanks for posting it Cindi. And great new avatar Pastor Clyde.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
On 2004-07-14 15:14, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
I might also point out that most of these escapes involve either simple holding cells, as found in small jails, or older jails (mostly those that have been converted into police or prison museums) that have keylocks in the cell doors, such as the Folger Adam.

Steve is right. The UK cells, then and now, have NO keyway on the inside, and the hatch lock was inaccessible from the inside. Great mystery, of course, and kept the UK public baffled for years.

Quote:

Modern 'prison' cells, as used in major penitentiaries, are often electronically controlled, locking (and sometimes even closing) via a control panel at the block guard station. The classic Houdini methods cannot be used on those.

Agreed. Houdini was not too keen to tackle cells with this type of locking mechanism, nor, for that matter, any solid door without a hatch. UK Police cells and town hall cells always had a hatch (with its own locking flap), and these cells were the ones preferred by Houdini. The lack of a hatch was the main reason Houdini declined the Dick Turpin Cell.

Dan: Great Poem

Riley
(the bone idle of escapology)
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
Thanks for the compliments on the poem about Cindini's Jailbreak....It had to be done.
Thanks also Riley for your remark. lol
I would also like to let you all know, as of yesterday I am no longer touring with the Circus and will now be taking bookings direct.

Weasel
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Which circus, Weasel?
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
Happy's.
If you are looking to replace me feel free, but be warned, be prepared to have little or no say over your act.
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
I wasn't aware that Ian had written about impressioning keys and picking jail locks until this conversation. Though I already have my jail break planned and prepared for I oredered the books. First let me say that the Cannon folks are faster than a speeding bullet when it comes to getting your order out. Secondly, the books are very well done. Especially if you are interested in step-by-step detail. I have picked tumbler locks since working for Moster Safe company in the 1970's but lever locks give me problems... especially those with false notches. Though the book doesn't do a lot with the false notches it is very good on the techniques required for picking lever locks. It'll speed up my process greatly! Smile Congrats and thanks Ian! (and the Cannons).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Jail Break (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL