The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » How to Solve the Rubik Cube (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
I'm told by magicians all the time that they don't know how to solve the cube yet many of them perform magic with them.

With Saturn Magic now having released Cube Cards and Isolated I thought I had better give it a real shot and make an effort to learn.

The problem was all the easy tutorials were not easy, so last Sunday night having cracked how to solve the cube a little over a week ago I went live on Facebook to explain and show the easiest way I found.

I could film this properly and sell it as product but if you watch and look in the comments you will find all you need to know.

If enough people like the method and would like a better tutorial I may consider making one and sell for a reasonable price.

Here is the link to the Facebook live, I do these most weeks and last Sunday was how to solve the cube after I did our chart rundown, the cube part starts at 11:30.

https://www.facebook.com/SaturnMagic.co.......2086879/

Enjoy - It's not actually that hard - Even I can do it. Smile
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1561 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Have you studied Cube3 ? Many of the tips you are giving were covered on that project.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8999 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I’ve been able to solve the cube since 1982. Learnt on a crappy 1 pound version. After that I was continually harassed, especially at school, to solve their bloody cubes. Started charging in the end. Lol.

My version is, one face, top layer, cross on bottom, bottom corners, then second layer.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On May 15, 2018, elimagic wrote:
Have you studied Cube3 ? Many of the tips you are giving were covered on that project.

No I did not, I found the methods I use from searching Youtube etc to finds the best algorithms I could find which were easy to remember.

I never watched Cube 3 because some of the key material on there was used without permission.

Steven has now apologised for doing so, and now Takamiz Usuai is getting the creative credit around the world that he deserves for his work.

I'm sure you will find the words used and the pattern algorithms useful, they made it so much easier for me.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
bosami
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of bosami
Having purchased Isolated - I also dove in and purchased Cube 3 and Cube Cards. I really feel I need to legitimately be able to solve the cube in order maximize the impact of these tricks. (May not be true - but I'm going to learn it anyway.) After just a few days of watching Cube 3, I feel pretty good about solving but haven't yet memorized the algorithms. (I might add here that I had no knowledge of any crediting issues prior to purchase.) I am wary of watching another solve solution video, because I don't want to get confused, but having said that, I'm curious. So anyway, thanks in advance for putting this out there.
...forever curious
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
891 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Some good tips on this FB video to help remember the moves. I highly recommend www.cubeskills.com for free tutorials of both beginner method and more advanced CFOP techniques. J Perm on YouTube has excellent tutorials as well.
CFOP is what you want to learn after beginner method, it shortens the 7 steps of beginner method into only 4 steps, it stands for Cross, F2L, OLL, PLL.

If you want to get your solve time down I would suggest learning these things (after beginner method) in this order:
1. Efficient cross solving (no algs needed)
2. F2L (no algs needed)
3. Two-look PLL (5 algs)
4. Two-look OLL (8 algs)
and if you really want to take it further
5. Full PLL (21 algs)
6. Full OLL (57 algs)
bosami
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of bosami
Quote:
On May 15, 2018, scott0819 wrote:
Some good tips on this FB video to help remember the moves. I highly recommend www.cubeskills.com for free tutorials of both beginner method and more advanced CFOP techniques. J Perm on YouTube has excellent tutorials as well.
CFOP is what you want to learn after beginner method, it shortens the 7 steps of beginner method into only 4 steps, it stands for Cross, F2L, OLL, PLL.

If you want to get your solve time down I would suggest learning these things (after beginner method) in this order:
1. Efficient cross solving (no algs needed)
2. F2L (no algs needed)
3. Two-look PLL (5 algs)
4. Two-look OLL (8 algs)
and if you really want to take it further
5. Full PLL (21 algs)
6. Full OLL (57 algs)

Wow this is an awesome site. Thanks for sharing!
...forever curious
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8999 Posts

Profile of pegasus
And another great tutorial for those who do not want to put in too much effort.

https://youtu.be/pxBEVV_G-SY
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
891 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On May 15, 2018, bosami wrote:
Quote:
On May 15, 2018, scott0819 wrote:
I highly recommend www.cubeskills.com for free tutorials of both beginner method and more advanced CFOP techniques.

Wow this is an awesome site. Thanks for sharing!

Not surprising really, the owner of CubeSkills has the current world records for both a single solve (4.22 seconds) and average of five solves (5.80 seconds).
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
A few summers ago I decided to learn how. Saw so many videos, tutorials. None worked. Then friend here directed me to two old videos on You Tube. Zillions of views. Just do search on Dan Brown. There is part one and part two.

One friend told me he tried that and it did not work so finally before giving up he found a you tube video based on a story and he has solved ever since.

Bottom line, try as many as you can before giving up. Something out there will work. Cube Skills above looks promising also. I'm not a genius (maybe borderline) and can do it. Smile Smile
mroek
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of mroek
As a youngster I never learned to solve the cube, but a couple of weeks ago I decided I wanted to, so I did. I used mainly the tutorial here:

https://ruwix.com/the-rubiks-cube/how-to......-method/

I do however start out slightly different, by first putting the white edge pieces on the yellow layer, as described here:

http://www.learnhowtosolvearubikscube.co......iks-cube

When the complete white cross has been formed, I follow the rest of the steps as outlined in the first link.

My personal best time solving the cube is just under 2 minutes using this method, which is of course useless in a magic performance, so the only real value of solving the cube is to be able to "fix it" if it's been scrambled. And not in a show/performance setting.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On May 16, 2018, mroek wrote:
As a youngster I never learned to solve the cube, but a couple of weeks ago I decided I wanted to, so I did. I used mainly the tutorial here:

https://ruwix.com/the-rubiks-cube/how-to......-method/

I do however start out slightly different, by first putting the white edge pieces on the yellow layer, as described here:

http://www.learnhowtosolvearubikscube.co......iks-cube

When the complete white cross has been formed, I follow the rest of the steps as outlined in the first link.

I agree. Learning to solve/reset for a performer is really the primary reason to learn it.

My personal best time solving the cube is just under 2 minutes using this method, which is of course useless in a magic performance, so the only real value of solving the cube is to be able to "fix it" if it's been scrambled. And not in a show/performance setting.
Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of Avocat
Old thread but I thought I’d resurrect because I’m still doing cube magic today

Nowadays you should know there are plenty of apps that can solve the cube for you if you just take photos of the side

Personally I use the Roux method for the first two layers and the basic method for the final layer

I also practiced until I could solve those first two layers while talking about how difficult the cube is to solve

Lastly I solve the final layer while keeping it hidden in my hand and do an immediate Brundage scramble and a false shuffle immediately thereafter

The result is a no-gimmick Rubik’s Cube solution routine from an audience-scrambled cube

It plays pretty well and it only requires memorizing three algorithms
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life, Avocat. Very helpful.
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
891 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Avocat, do you have recommendations for learning Roux method?

I'm still using CFOP (three-look last layer) but have not tackled learning the last 57 algorithms for OLL (#6 on my list above). I know a huge advantage of Roux is fewer algs to learn.
Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of Avocat
I learned the Roux method from a YouTube video - can't find the exact one any longer

But all I do is solve six blue faces followed by six green faces. From there, Roux uses a number of algorithms, but I realized it was easy enough to line up the remaining three white squares and rotate them to the bottom

From there, it's just the final three algorithms from the basic solution that ships with official Rubik cubes

I know there are faster methods, but I had to minimize the number of algorithms to memorize in order to (A) get performance-ready faster and (B) have less to think about while I patter during the Roux and final algorithms

If anyone's curious, I talk about how big a quintillion is and how long it would take by random chance. At the end, I actually explain how certain algorithms exist, and identify the Sune and J-Perm by name while executing them.

I get a nice reaction when the Sune, repeated three times, solves the yellow face.

I've also taught myself to pause during the J-perm to show that, to move the final few faces around, you have to mess up the whole cube again. This helps to justify it if anyone notices the cube is fully solved before I launch into the Brundage mix and my own false shuffle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » How to Solve the Rubik Cube (4 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL