We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Nickel plated halves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nick vassil
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of nick vassil
Living in Japan l`ve been using 500 yen coins,diameter 2.5cms. Anyway last night l recieved some of these halves.lwas surprised at how slippery they feel. Does anybody else use these?? Will they lose some of their Slippery feel after time??
thankyou.
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
What year are thoses halves you received. The 64`s and earlier are the better coins to use.
nick vassil
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of nick vassil
L got six, ranging from the 70`s to the 90`s. l suppose going from the smaller yen coins to the larger halves has something to do with my current difficulties, hoping time &practice will overcome these troubles!!
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Nick,
Try using silver halves. They grip much better than the nickel plated ones. 1964 is a good year.

Eric
family/magic/music/life
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I've never noticed a difference between the silver Kennedy's and non silver Kennedy's as far as grip goes?

I use 67 Kennedy's and not 64's. 67's are only 40%, maybe that's why.

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I generally use 64s, as I find the edges superior and the sound superior.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Mike,
Try them both side by side. You'll feel a difference.

Eric
family/magic/music/life
nick vassil
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of nick vassil
Where could l get silver halves online?
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
You know what Eric, I started to use Walking Libertys lately, long story, but was forced to make a change for a particular routine. I have to say, I'm this close to dumping all of my Kennedy's, and switching to WL's exclusively. They barely talk, they palm nicely (if they've still got a good mill), and they look fantastic. They seem to me, and it may be just a misperception, but they seem thinner than Kennedy halves, which, if they are, is a bonus too.

Nick - go to http://www.themagicwarehouse.com/silver.html

Good prices on silver gaffs and coins to match.

Best to All,

Mike

bcharles
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
59 Posts

Profile of bcharles
I've always used non-silver halves, but you guys have got me thinking. I'll have to try out some 64s and after Mike's comment on the WL - I guess I need to investigate that too.

Brian
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Mike,
I recently did exactly the same thing. I've always been a 64' Kennedy guy. I always loved the look of WL's, but until I picked up a set of Schoolcraft re-edged WL's, I wasn't willing to make the change(no pun intended).

My new set gives me the palmability(new word, coined, pardon the pun, right here)of 64's, and they feel less bulky, as you stated. I think they are a beautiful coin, and they lend to the aesthetics of the magic.

I'll still use Kennedys for a few things, however, I'm definately a WL man from now on.

As for talking, they are considerably quieter than Kennedys, for sure. I am looking into some Barbers, for a John Carney routine called "Silver and Glass". They are thinner and much quieter. That is important for the particular routine.

I use soft Morgans for a few other things. I guess that while one can claim allegiance to a specific coin, we really have to be versatile. Even though I'm a WL man, they don't work for everything.

Just my .02 cents, OK, no more puns.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Eric,

what problems did you find with the WL's?

My reason for the recent switch was also related to some gaffs (that I recently asked Todd to make), and the application of them in my act.

Mike

rden
View Profile
New user
Sugar Land, Texas
75 Posts

Profile of rden
This thread may help to answer a question that I’ve been mulling over lately. I am new to coin magic, and I have been trying to decide between working exclusively with Walking Liberties, 64 Kennedys, or current Kennedys. They each have their own advantages and disadvantages (price for coins, price for gaffs, eye appeal, sound, etc.) so I was having a hard time deciding which direction to take. Based on some previous posts, especially the previous post by Eric where he mentions various styles of halves that he uses, I realized that maybe I was being naive in deciding on a single, best path. Maybe I should just work with whatever works for the moment.

So, my question to the much more experienced members of this group is this. Do you try to work exclusively with a certain style of coin (say Walking Liberties or whatever your favorite half is) or do you switch around as appropriate?
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Rden,
Don't limit yourself. Different routines may be best served by using different coins. I prefer my WL set, when possible, but I certainly don't limit myself.

Mike,
Check out Dan Watkins' review (on his website) of the Schoolcraft stuff. It's right on the money. As far as typical WL coins go, The only issue for me was the milling. Obviouslt, pristine coins have a sharper mill, and are easier to palm. Finding WL's in that condition, is tough. If I need more than 4 coins, I'll use the non-re-edged ones, but it's a bit more work. I wouldn't consider it a problem, though.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Thanks for the tips man. I read Dan's review of Jamie's stuff, and have bounced around a couple e-mails with Jamie... but, I'll be honest. I like Todd. He does unbelievable work, he keeps me up to speed on all the latest dirt and new stuff, and he's a well-known and highly reliable guy. I'm not saying that Jamie isn't any of those things, I'm sure he's a great guy, and very talented as well, but I just haven't found a compelling enough reason to want to change. You know what I mean? Besides, my coins take a regular beating, so most of my stuff is Johnson, so it can be replaced for $50 at a time, instead of $250 at a time Smile I'll put it this way, Todd's gotten a lot of my money lately, but it's a drop in the bucket if you compare it to how much Howard over at the warehouse, and other Howard over at the Trickery have gotten from me over the years. Yikes!

I gotta sling a lot of suds, and vanish a lot of coins to make the $$ to buy my toys! Having said all that, I'm sure Todd will be hearing from me again very soon Smile

Best,

Mike

Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
I hear you Mike. I've got some Todd wares as well, and they are awesome. I'm not saying that I've switched, just that there are two guys I call, now.

Eric
family/magic/music/life
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Everyone has different hands, so everyone has different coins that they enjoy.

The only person that can decide what you want to use is you.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1128 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
Personally I use nickle plated halves exclusivly, and have never been happier.
RxGregory
View Profile
New user
St. Charles, MO
65 Posts

Profile of RxGregory
Astinus, you're absolutely right. A friend of mine swears by Kennedy halves, but I find them too "slippery". I fell in love with the WL's. If you get the 1943's, they're a little less expensive (higher circulation). I've found some AU (almost uncirculated) WL's for about $6.00 each at my local coin shop. They do "sound" better, and feel better in my hand. I also like to use the premise of a walking liberty "walking" from one place to another. I'm sorry Todd and and Jamie, but I don't have the money for your products yet. I can't wait until I do, though.

Greg
If it was easy, everybody would do it, and if everybody did it, it wouldn't be magic.
David Roth (Ultimate Coin Magic Vol. 11)
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I usually get into my local coin shops "junk silver" and find some good looking Walking Liberties...

The only thing is that they tend to be a bit dirty. So I buff them up and they look almost brand new.

I can get these for about 2.00-3.00. Plus I like the worn feel better than the uncircs, and they fit better in my shell.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Nickel plated halves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL