The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dry hands (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
ValeCavaliero
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of ValeCavaliero
I use simple Nivea hands moisturizer an hour before performing.
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
45 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
I like to use a tiny bit of Aveeno for dry hands. It can help, for example, doing the reveal separation for an Invisible Deck routine. (Think I got this tip from a Charlie Frye lecture)

Because we regularly wash our hands, often they lack natural oil that otherwise would be present. An option to using manufactured moisturizers is to use your own. When I wipe my forehead with a dry hand, I pick up enough oil to restore enough moisture to help. It's free and always with me.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
What I find to work best, and relatively inexpensive, is Zim's Crack Creme, ORIGINAL LIQUID FORMULA. See here for the packaging - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zim-s-Crack-C......44603245

NOTE: This is Zim's ORIGINAL, GLYCERINE-based product. Zim's also has one or more "creme formulas" that are different from this (though they may be effective also - I just don't know). Only a few drops of the glycerine-based stuff, spread over the hands and fingers provides a nice layer of tackiness without feeling sticky. It remains effective for close to 30 minutes. Good stuff.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
O'Keefes Hand Cream (Squirt Tube, not semi-solid), and I also like Cornhuskers. Both products you must use sparingly. We tend to want to "slather" abundantly to help our skin, but both will leave you gooey and slick unless you use small amounts frequently. Both I find leave a slight tackiness without greasiness.

Blessings,
steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Zama
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Zama
I think that you can use a nourishing cream, it should help get rid of dry skin and thus there will be no problems with performing tricks.
dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Hillsboro, OR
91 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Back for more...

Found a recipe in Gary Ouellette's book for rose water, glycerine and rubbing alcohol. Has anyone have success with this mix? Also, I've seen it around the web the same recipe but w/o the rubbing alcohol? Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

D
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2019, dschmunis wrote:
Back for more...

Found a recipe in Gary Ouellette's book for rose water, glycerine and rubbing alcohol. Has anyone have success with this mix? Also, I've seen it around the web the same recipe but w/o the rubbing alcohol? Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

D

Yes, they are good. But Zim's Crack Creme (original formula) is better, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Teddy
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Year round in my area I use (comes in a small bottle) "Glycerin & Rosewater"
always in my case. In my area available in Pharmacy's / Drug stores
usually in "first aid" section
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of cosermann
Corn Huskers lotion works well for me.
Regards,
Eric
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
81 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
Another vote here for Okeeffe's Working Man's Hand Cream. The green tub. It sets on the skin with a watery feel, unlike greasy feel creams. I put it on 5 minutes before picking up the cards. Must use very little though!

Oh and I use it before doing coins too. Works great.
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Topper2
I have very dry hands indeed, so I find hand cream to be a huge advantage for manipulative work with billiard balls etc. The main problem with cards is that I'm usually only doing that sort of magic in an impromptu situation where there is no opportunity to apply hand cream, plus the greasy cream can easily get onto the cards making them sticky which itself is a problem. Has anyone else experienced that difficulty? For me avoiding sleights such as running the cards etc is the easy way out and I can make do very nicely with card tricks and sleights that don't require moist hands.
dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Hillsboro, OR
91 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Topper2,

I've been using Chamberlain Golden Touch and for the most part it works but I do recommend that you give it 2-5 to absorb before using. For me, I noticed that if I applied it throughout the day then when and if I need to perform and don't have time to apply, that by simply rubbing my hands together for 20 seconds or so it generates enough heat that some of the lotion gets activated again and my hands get enough grip.

As far as keeping the lotion always handy: I bought a large bottle from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-Golden-Lotion-Original-Moisturizer/dp/B00DV4288E/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=chamberlain+lotion&qid=1578350720&sr=8-3) and then a bunch of mini-spray bottles at my local Fred Meyer and put them just about everywhere (my desk at home, kitchen counter, bathroom, night stand table, gloves compartment in the car, my backpacks, desk at work, etc...)
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2020, dschmunis wrote:
I've been using Chamberlain Golden Touch and.... for me, I noticed that if I applied it throughout the day then when and if I need to perform and don't have time to apply, that by simply rubbing my hands together for 20 seconds or so it generates enough heat that some of the lotion gets activated again and my hands get enough grip.

Ah that sounds like a good idea, a lotion that gets absorbed into the skin and can be brought to life by rubbing the hands when required, that's pretty much what happens with natural skin moisture. Thanks for the tip, I'll give that one a try.
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2018, whiteoakcanyon wrote:
I prefer sortkwik because you can put a dab behind the ear and simply touch the ear in conversation thus adding some to the finger tips. I only use it on my finger tips and it is very effective. Good luck.

Genius!
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
I've been using Corn Husker’s lotion. Seems to work well but I haven't tried any of the recommended products here to compare to.

I hope to correct that sometime in the future.
dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Hillsboro, OR
91 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Earlier this week I was fortunate to be able to get my hands on a copy of Wesley James Enchantments (I’ll probably spend the rest of my life trying to learn but a bit of all the amazing stuff in this book). One thing that caught my eye as I was reviewing the INDEX is a chapter at the end of the book called “The Hands”. In It he recommends two things:

1. Glycerin sopa
2. Creams containing Na-PCA (Sodium Pyrrolidone Carboxylic Acid), which happens naturally in the human body and helps moisturize our skin (but seems to dry up with age)

I’ve ordered some from Nu Skin (via Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Nu-Skin-NaPCA-Moi......&sr=8-4)

Will give both a try for a few weeks and report back
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2020, dschmunis wrote:
Earlier this week I was fortunate to be able to get my hands on a copy of Wesley James Enchantments (I’ll probably spend the rest of my life trying to learn but a bit of all the amazing stuff in this book). One thing that caught my eye as I was reviewing the INDEX is a chapter at the end of the book called “The Hands”. In It he recommends two things:

1. Glycerin sopa
2. Creams containing Na-PCA (Sodium Pyrrolidone Carboxylic Acid), which happens naturally in the human body and helps moisturize our skin (but seems to dry up with age)

I’ve ordered some from Nu Skin.

Will give both a try for a few weeks and report back

Any update? Smile
dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Hillsboro, OR
91 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
No major changes that I could tell. The Nu Skin spray works for about 5-10 minutes while it absorbed and haven’t really noticed any other changes with the soap.

Starting to come to terms that I’ll forever have dry hands. As such I’m moving my routine to easier to handle props (sponge balls, cups and balls, chop cup, etc) at the beginning to give my hands time to warm up and build some moisture hoping that layer on on a routine handling cards and coins may be a bit easier.

Stay safe and stay healthy!

Best,
D
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2020, dschmunis wrote:
No major changes that I could tell. The Nu Skin spray works for about 5-10 minutes while it absorbed and haven’t really noticed any other changes with the soap.

Thank you for your fast reply.

I'm happy with Sortkwik but doesn't last long.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2019, TeddyBoy wrote:
What I find to work best, and relatively inexpensive, is Zim's Crack Creme, ORIGINAL LIQUID FORMULA. See here for the packaging - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zim-s-Crack-C......44603245

NOTE: This is Zim's ORIGINAL, GLYCERINE-based product. Zim's also has one or more "creme formulas" that are different from this (though they may be effective also - I just don't know). Only a few drops of the glycerine-based stuff, spread over the hands and fingers provides a nice layer of tackiness without feeling sticky. It remains effective for close to 30 minutes. Good stuff.

This stuff was great but has been discontinued. The hoarders now sell it on eBay and Amazon for astronomical prices. Literally, from $30-40 for a 2 oz bottle that used to be $3.

Cheers,
Teddy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dry hands (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL