The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Cheap Wireless Mics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
I have been a soundman for over 15 years and something happened this week I would never had believed.
I supplied sound for a play this week and needed to rent 5 wireless mics, a new place has opened in town that caters to DJ’s so I thought I’d check them out.

I rented Mics made by Gemini model number UX1620.
* 2 separate mics per receiver with 16 selectable channels and they come with your choice of hand held, headset or lav. mics
* ½ rack space with separate gain controls and they have 1 combined Hi-Z output or 2 separate low-z.

The sound was great, they worked without any problems and in fact, out performed the AT’s that I all ready owned.

When I checked prices, I was shocked that they can be had for about $200.
They make a single mic model 1610 that is dual diversity for about $150
I suppose if you looked around they could be found for less online.

If you are looking for a low cost wireless, check these out, I was very impressed.
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
235 Posts

Profile of avimagic
That's great to know! When I saw the title "cheap wireless mics" I was sure I was about to read a horror story, because that is usually what you get when you buy a cheap wireless mic.

I will look into these!

Avi
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Audio Technica makes a lavalier wireless mic that sells for $125 called the ATW-201L. I works great.

I can't believe how prices have dropped on these in the last few years. Same with small PA systems.

And the quality keeps getting better and better!
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
All I can say is that, in the long run, you get what you pay for when it comes to wireless mics. Cheaper ones, among other things, are more prone to interference and don't hold up nearly as well. That money, contrary to popular belief, does NOT just go to pay for the privilege of having a brand name on the sticker.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I have used the same Nady systems 101 single channel for years and it has held up. (keep loosing those little wind screens) I have not had interference ever, but do not work in cities as much.

They are around $100-150 if I recall.
Clayton Cavaness
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
56 Posts

Profile of Clayton Cavaness
I have always had trouble with Radio Shack, Nady and Samson wireless mics. I now use Shure brand LT1(s) and they always work great, both the handheld wireless and the lav.

I picked up my last one used on ebay for $200.00. they retail around $500.00 I think.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
What has been your "problem" with those brands?
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I've used Sampson for years and have not had a problem. You just need to make sure you have fresh batteries. When the batteries lose a little of their juice the signal can get 'staticy'.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I bot a Samson "true Diversity" headset mic to go with my fender PA. So far it seems to be doing the job. I got advice from a friend that has been doing sound for his band for 20 years. I would reccomend it to any one. I agree w/ Tony S. I always put fresh battery in the transmiter so I don't have to worry about it. Even though My show only runs an hour, the transmitter can be on for 1 1/2 hours during set up, sound checks, and performing.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Samsons are not built anywhere near as sturdily, nor do they sound as good or reject interference as well as Sennheisers (Shures are good on the latter two, but Sennies are much better as far as physical build).

As I always say, with wireless mics you really do get what you pay for.

Then again, I only toured with a system of 28 concurrently running wireless mics on actors/dancers doing 8 shows a week, what do I know? ;o)
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Mike James
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
6 Posts

Profile of Mike James
Mr. Leviss -

I agree with you strongly that the better brands are indeed BETTER brands as far as quality. It really is worth the extra investment to buy a more sturdy mic. One must also remember that better systems not only reject interference more actively, but a better mic will also reject feedback more readily. I think all that has been said to death on this board, though. Smile

I have to say, however, that when it comes to the lower end of the UHF spectrum, the Shure systems are more sturdy and well built electronically, I think. (obviously, I'm not talking about the Series 5000s, SK5012s, EM203s, etc. that one would use in pro theatre)

The Sennheiser microphone elements are superior as far as audio fidelity, but for the working magician, the slight difference in the vocal quality of the mic probably doesn't outweigh the importance of a sturdier system - thus, I would suggest a Shure system over a Sennheiser one of similar quality - in the context of this thread, that is.

Samson Audio also makes some nice products - anything in the AirLine/Series One group will work fine (I have used the GuitarBugs and Presentation packs, which are of good quality and reliable).

Again, a magician who is going to use the mic for shows, and who will take good care of it, need not obtain studio-quality sound or go above around $300 - although there's always Countryman for those who wish to. Smile
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Stay away from Countryman these days, only thing worse than their QC is their customer service, what with charging for warranty repairs as non-warranty and all!
Jonathan Rice
View Profile
Loyal user
Maryland
223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Rice
At PSSL you can get the VH-120! I love it has a pretty good range and comes with handheld and head mic for only $130
miscoes
View Profile
New user
Allariz, Spain
94 Posts

Profile of miscoes
Hello.

I use a set of 2 wireless transmitters. A ( no remembered name here ) for my voice and an Audio Technica for my minidisk player ( Yes I have a portable minidisk player over onme of my two scene tables and send the audio signal to the PA. This way I can avoid remote controls and so on and use material I already had at home )

In another uses, the two transmitters have homemade headset microphones with very good quality ( as good as the capsule you put in it )

My experience says that the Audio Technica is very reliable ( true diversity ) and souds very well. The another transmitter does also a good job but is not as good.

Please, consider the idea of sending your audio from your magic table. It works very well for me.

Sincerely

Gusi

gusi@trepar.com
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Gosh, maybe it's just me and maybe I'm lucky, but I work mostly with community, municipal and school theatre groups who have limited budgets and usually obsolete sound systems. I've never had any problems with Radio Shack wireless mikes beyond "the actor factor." What sorts of problems have you all had?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I'll try to remember to post back. I got the entire new line SH321 35 watts system with 3 wireless mics from Hisonic for $242 including freight. Regular price from the company is $299 plus freight. Comes with a one year warranty. I plan on using it July 3rd for a show that takes place outdoors.
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
I ran sound and lights for Louie Anderson's comedy show last weekend. Once again, I used the trusty Radio Shack 32-1251 900MHz wireless handheld and I must say, I love this mike. Been using it professionally for four years now and never had a problem. Louie had no complaints nor did the audience.

The mike is not all that inexpensive; it costs 90 bucks as does the receiver, but for 180 dollars you get all the features. It boasts 8 channels, both high and low impedance switchable outputs, both an XLR and a 1/4" jack and full treble, bass and volume control right on the receiver.

Once again: Louie Anderson is a comedian, not a singer. The male speaking voice averages around 100 Hz (200 Hz for females.) 100 Hz is only 40 cps above power-line hum! We're not talking "high-end rolloff" here (although even a singer doesn't go over 2-3000 Hz). There's no need to spend a ton of money for something as low-tech as the spoken word. Put that money into your speakers if you want to see a payback.
Jeff Hayden
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hayden
Camelot,

"There's no need to spend a ton of money for something as low-tech as the spoken word." Absolutely I agree. Radio shack has always worked for me too.
I was a little confusing reading this post and not sure exactly what is wrong with the "Radio Shack" versions.

I'm big into paying for quality, but just to amplify
your spoken voice at your events need not break the budget. Unless of course you are encountering interference due to environmental factors and you need a special mic (how often does that happen though).

-JH
Did you see that?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Well my Histonic isn't too bad. I get a little feedback when I walk in front of the amp but other than that, not bad.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
You seriously get feedback when you walk in front of the amp? that's a new thing to me. You sure you didn't mean speakers?

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Cheap Wireless Mics (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL