The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » [Review] Eyephone by Alan Boyd (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Product description : A simple peek is one of the most powerful mentalism tool, simplicity at its best ! Lots of devices, center tear and things are coming out recently and one of them is Eyephone, produced by Mark Mason. The idea behind it is genius and will allow to do a very natural peek with a object everyone has already seen: a smartphone. You ask someone to write anything on a card, you place it down in the wallet at the back of your phone and you’re immediately able to reveal what was written by the spectator. Innocent looking but devious working, this is Eyephone !

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $99 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic partner !

What you get : You receive a small white cardboard box, with a printed paper rolled around it, I’ve seen better packaging and I think a such ingenious and nicely crafted product would deserve a better packaging. Anyway, inside, you get a white card with a link to watch the online instructions, they’re well made, typical Mark Mason style but clear enough so that you understand everything about the product. You also get a white instruction paper with some routines on it but you’re likely to come up with your own routines. The product in itself is a dummy phone with a wallet stuck at the back, it’s well made, the buttons are not working but it does look like a real phone. The working is really clever, some other devices (telethought pad and wallet) already use this principle but using it within a phone is really ingenious. Overall, I think the price is faire compared to what you get, I’m not disappointed with it !

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbJqeuW_nu8

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
- You have to use the phone provided, so it could be a bit strange if you pull out your real phone after having performed Eyephone. You could justify it with the fact you have 2 phones, one personal and the other professional but I don’t like that.
- You may have some angle restriction because of the working of the gimmick, you wouldn’t be able to use this surrounded.

THE PROS :
- I really like the working of it, if James Bond had a peek device, I think it would be Eyephone. It’s clever and at the same time, really easy to master so you can include it to your existing routine quite quickly.
- You get a full peek and a clear one, so you can have people writing down anything on the card, whether it is a word, a number, a drawing.. It can really be anything so that you can adapt your routine.
- The fact you use a phone can lead to other type of routine, such as asking the spectator to write down the name of a contact he has on his phone.
- I don’t think the wallet stuck at the back of the phone is weird at all, I see more and more people having this kind of devices on their smartphone so it’s a natural and innocent looking object.
- You can get the peek very quickly, and just by placing back the phone in your pocket, you can get the information. It’s a modern tool, easy to use and which will allow you to do miracles if you use it well.

Overall rating : I think I was more pleased by the working than by the object and the potential of it, I already have my peek devices on me every time so I won’t be using this. But this is a good and solid release that will please most mentalist out there, if you like what you see on the trailer, you won’t be disappointed by what you receive, 3/4 hearts

As for the difficulty level, if you already master a peek technic, this won’t be hard to use, 2/5 stars.

Similar products : Telethough pad and wallet are two other devices which allow you to do the same thing but are hidden in different things.

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website: http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Edit.

Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
kidnapped1853
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of kidnapped1853
Thanks for the excellent review Alex!
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
964 Posts

Profile of markhitton
Smile
Aslan Magic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Aslan Magic
Hmmm

I received my Eyephone this morning to find a problem. The screen contains a large black mark that looks like trapped moisture under the screen. When speaking to the supplier I was told that almost every one he has sold has been returned with the same problem. I am awaiting my replacement, which will come from a new batch. The box it came in was almost falling apart. I think for a prop selling at this price, better quality control and packaging needs to be in place.

I hope that the replacement is of better quality.

This is a great item otherwise.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
If it uses the same screen as Telthought, I will pass, as I found that screen needs perfect lighting and angles for to be flawless.
Aslan Magic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Aslan Magic
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2018, Aslan Magic wrote:
Hmmm

I received my Eyephone this morning to find a problem. The screen contains a large black mark that looks like trapped moisture under the screen. When speaking to the supplier I was told that almost every one he has sold has been returned with the same problem. I am awaiting my replacement, which will come from a new batch. The box it came in was almost falling apart. I think for a prop selling at this price, better quality control and packaging needs to be in place.

Unfortunately I have been told by my (Very Respected) supplier that all the replacements that they have received have exactly the same problem. I have been refunded. This is a real shame. The item is superb in every way apart from this manufacturing error.

If this is resolved then I would buy again without a second thought. Very sad indeed Smile
Aslan Magic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Aslan Magic
I have now purchased this item from another supplier only to have exactly the same problem. Second one refunded. I will not be buying again due to my two bad experiences. I hope that this is something that can be resolved.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Just noticed this product - a pocket to attach to the back of a smart phone, which looks pretty darn close to the setup of the Eyephone. Good news for anyone who felt the Eyephone doesn’t resemble a normal object - https://snugbee.com/product/no-purse
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MF Tom
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of MF Tom
Hi Guys,

We have EYEPHONE for half price (50 usd) on SALE only today at: https://www.mystiquefactory.com/collections/daily-deal

Best,
Tom
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
This seems to be one of the biggest hyped tricks ever and is in most bargain bin sales now.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
This is surprisingly good. A bit delicate maybe, but I'm happy with it.
I never liked the stuff it depends on before, but its perfectly justified here.
No regrets on this one.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2018, Aslan Magic wrote:
Hmmm

Has this unsightly screen problem now been fixed ?

Are the newly delivered Eyephones now faultless ?
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
It’s being sold now much cheaper then I paid.
($60 vs $99)
I actually think it’s worth it even at the higher price.
As for how it arrived for me- it’s fine. Mine arrived scratch free.
But, I can see it easily happening.
Overall, it’s something to handle with care.
Scratched screens aren’t uncommon on real phones, should it happen here I imagine no problems.
I don’t think it would tip the method, or interfere with the information gathering.
I only carry it though when I wear a suit jacket, dedicating a breast pocket to it.
Unlike a real phone, this one would be done for imo if you sat on it.
Again though, limitations and all, I really enjoy having this option.

-Theodore Annemann
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2019, 252life wrote:
It’s being sold now much cheaper then I paid.($60 vs $99)
As for how it arrived for me- it’s fine. Mine arrived scratch free

Thank you for the information but I thing the problem was not about a scrached screen ...
"The screen contains a large black mark that looks like trapped moisture under the screen"
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Didn’t encounter that either Smile

-Theodore Annemann
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
If I could find one for about $50 I would buy it.
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
I just got my eyephone. I have a question where is the best place to do this I did it in a room with not much light and couldn't see the word "peek" Do I need to have light from the back or front? thanks for help please pm me....
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
Mark Mason was nice enough to text me a video on how to fix this problem.
fooloffun
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of fooloffun
How do you fix the black moisture blob under the screen? any ideas I just got the phone today and it has this problem too
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » [Review] Eyephone by Alan Boyd (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL