The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel ideas for Paddle Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Many years ago, Del Wilson showed me his terrific Gospel routine using a "Hot Rod" paddle trick. My guess is Del has published this somewhere by now.

It got me to thinking... I love the "paddle" move, I must have at least ten different versions including making my own paddles. I just ran across another routine which I think is fantastic.

Keith Fields released some time ago his "Paddle Magic (with gimmicks)" DVD which is simply a splendid routine. The DVD is widely available including directly from Keith at www.KeithFieldsMagic.com (he also sells replacement paddles) or from www.PenguinMagic.com I bought mine at Wunderground Magic Shop in Clawson, Michigan.

First I outlined on paper Keith's 90 second routine. Then I watched the routine at least 20 times so I could remember it fairly well in my head.

I then added a few more "spot" lines for the various phases of the trick. Just put the word/define "spot" in the www.Dictionary.com web site search box (also Thesaurus.com and www.thefreedictionary.com :spot idioms) and 12 pages of the various word usages of "spot" appear- including many clever uses of the word spot as a noun, verb, adjective and idioms. Any of these can be added into Keith's routine.

Additional lines/gags/idioms would include: "I hope we hit all the hot spots" or "We're in a bad spot here, aren't we?" or "This really puts us on the spot" or "I think these small paddles are used to stir a very small spot of tea" or "Did you spot that?" or "Wow, I think I am getting spots before my eyes" or "That's four spots- you wouldn't want to spot me a Fifty would you?" or "That hit the spot" or "I hope I did not put you on the spot" or "That must have been in my blind spot" or "Must have been a soft spot" or "X marks the spot" or "That paddy sure is Johnny on the spot" or "Let's knock your spots off", etc.. Almost endless possibilities here.

Finally, if appropriate, I may add a "Gospel message" as well. Would love to know your thoughts on this, any additional ideas out there on a Biblical message for spot paddles?

One idea I am toying with, during Keith Fields spot paddle routine (no sense to modify his routine- his is just brilliant), I may play in the background on my cell phone speaker "Sleepers Awake" by Bach.

Then at the end of the routine, I may state how "I enjoy playing "Sleepers Awake" by Bach- which Bach based on various Bible verses. I have loved that song since a kid as our church organist would play it on request in the organ "prologue" before the service started for me sometimes. One such music based verse is found in Ephesians Chapter 5 were it says: "Wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you."

"This is a very special Chapter- Ephesians 5- in the Bible as it is referred to many times at weddings- outlining how wives are to love their husbands and how husbands should love their wives. Verse 27 is even more fantastic, it explains that husbands are to love their wives just as Christ loved the church- which is US!- and He gave Himself up for us to present us as a radiant church, without SPOT or wrinkle. He washes us from our sins so we can be presented as blameless- Christ cares for us in the church, just like we should love and care for our own spouses".

"So like the recent Prince Harry and Meghan Markle royal wedding, we too are lifted up by our ultimate Prince of Peace into being His royal bride! What a neat joyful thankful example given here for us in the Bible- I think we hit all "high spots" with these little paddles for sure! I hope it was an encouragement to you as it was to me of being reminded of this spot on message by these paddles again." Smile

I will probably put the paddles on my chest then and say: "I wonder if these work as heart paddles too? Clear! I better put these away before I get further up the river leaving myself without a paddle."
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Postscript: I think it is important at the end of any paddle routine to put the paddles away quickly before the spectator can grab them (or ask to see them). Having a closing line like: "I think I better put these spot paddles back where they came from before I ever find myself up a creek without a paddle" gives a silly premise at least for putting the paddles back in your pocket before the person grabs them for inspection.

If I do decide to use/add a Gospel ending on the spot paddle routine, I intend to slowly point to (and point out) the "without spot" white paddles which is exactly how the Keith Fields routine ends, and then say a similar/or the above patter line and put the paddles away. This is all before beginning my short comments on Ephesians Chapter 5... and then hopefully later steering the conversation toward more important spiritual things...

Please note Ephesians 5:27 uses the word "spot" in the New King James Version (NKJV), ESV, KJV. NASB, NLT and ASV, but not in the NIV where the word "stain" is used rather than the word "spot". 2 Peter 3:14 (NIV) does use a similar word however: "So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel ideas for Paddle Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL